My FZJ80 modest build

Mayne

Explorer
I picked this Cruiser up last Dec. and I'm finally to the point where addition and subtraction can now begin. I had the flare holes welded shut, and the sides Line-Xed. I'm awaiting a barrier from Speski, a center diff lock switch from Canada, ARB commercial Bull Bar, and OME low kit (thanks Sierra Expeditions for ordering the Bull Bar and suspension, as the commercial version are non existent state side.). New Cooper STMaxx 235/85r16 on the way for my Taco steel wheels.

Mayne
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Sounds like you got a good plan put together. A very utilitarian build it seems. Will is great to work with. I will be interested to hear your report on the 235's and the OME no lift set up. Keep us posted on the progress!:sombrero:

Mayne

Explorer
235/85 are on!

I need to get a new rim for the spare though. Turns out that my 5th steely is bent ever so slightly. The new ST MAXX are awesome! Almost as quiet as the p rated tires they replaced. After the initial break in, they're starting to feel less vague, and I'm sure they'll be quite positive once the slick skin wears off. I figure the utility part is what I use most, so big lift and tires would be kinda lost on me and my wallet. Will is always a pleasure to deal with. It's nice to order things from somebody who not only gives a damn, but knows what your talking about.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
looking sharp.
Good luck with this build, I had the chance to jump on an 80 last winter with only a hundred fifty k on it.... low miles for these rigs these days.
been kicking my self ever sense.... so for now its just the taco.
this is a nice looking truck, looking forward to seeing where it goes
cheers

richbordoni

Looks great with the steelies. Have you thought about blacking out the chrome trim around the headlights and grill?

Mayne

Explorer
Bummer cdthicker, that was pretty low in mileage, but did the rest of pass muster? I bought mine with almost 250k on the clock, but I did so with a thorough inspection, and seeing quite a few lower mileage vehicles that looked absolutely spent.
Thanks Rich. I'm not terribly concerned with the wee bit of chrome, the bull bar will likely cover it enough to where one would need to look for it. I'm satisfied with the line-x, but there are spots I'd like done differently. For the money paid, I'll deal and get it touched up later. Anybody know of a slider maker that fits fairly tight in the body, doesn't stick out to far on the sides. I've no flair's to protect, but I'd still like rocker protection.
Mayne

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Check out Bump It Offroad's step sliders, they are made to look just like the OEM steps so they don't stick out as much as some of the HD tubular ones. If those don't fit the bill ask him about his tube sliders or making you a set to fit your needs. Mike is top notch! Did you have to use spacers for the wheels?

Bretthn

Explorer
The new tires and lift look great, the skinnies and no flares make it look more like it's brother the 60 series.

Mayne

Explorer
Actually doesnt have a lift. I've only just ordered the suspension from Will, and as it's wrapped in with my bullbar, I don't expect it any time soon. But I am digging the new tires and am quite happy with the choices I made with the body work. I've always liked the 60 series, and looked into buying one, but the list of things needed on most of them was a bit too daunting.

Mayne

Explorer
Any particular reason why you went with the low kid vs. the medium or heavy suspension kit if price is the same?

Had more to do with purpose. The low kit uses heavy springs in the front, and I think mediums in th back. More ground clearance is great to a point. The 2" lift isn't drastic, but it still comes with some challenges to steering components, drive train, and other parts of the suspension. For my use, extra height doesn't benefit me more than these factors, and ease of use. I use it as a daily driver, and my wife sometimes drives it as well. If you'd see her drive the cruiser like she drives her Mini Cooper... lets just say the exact words out of my mouth were "this thing is never getting a lift."

Nothing wrong with a 2" OME I'm sure, but it didn't suit my needs. After the suspension comes in, I should see a mild gain in height just from replacing the sagging OE springs.

Mayne.

Mayne

Explorer
Put in a Speski cargo barrier for my fur balls. Installation was a breeze, and now my back passengers won't have to deal will Rom drool.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Mayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier