My Fuso-based idea

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Hi all. Here is my first idea for my Fuso-based build. I don't own one except the paper model, haha. I'm probably one of few people that still draw when there are so many modeling programs out there. But, it's relaxing...and I don't have a PC or very powerful laptop.

The camper would be custom and removable so the truck could be used as a flatbed.

The passenger compartment would have a pass-through on each end, one to the cab and one to the camper. It would also have a door on driver's side and window on passenger side.

Camper will have entry door on passenger side and two 8' wide by 7' tall concessions-style doors on the driver's side. The outside door hinges out and up to become a roof and overlaps the inside door. The inside door hinges out and down to become a deck. The sink/cooktop cabinet hinges and swings out onto the deck for outside cooking.

I'm aware of the need to remove the camper, or at least jack it up to clear the cab for tilting. I'd also have to undo the pass-through boot at the passenger cab.

Feel free to criticize or provide insight.

Nick

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Have you thought about how tall that rig will be? I'm at 12 feet and by the drawing you are going to be quite a bit bigger than me.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Have you thought about how tall that rig will be? I'm at 12 feet and by the drawing you are going to be quite a bit bigger than me.

You know, I haven't! I originally drew it as a hard-side popup so I was lower on height when collapsed.

It's somewhat to scale. I just measured...roughly 13'. I could bring it down a bit.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi all. Here is my first idea for my Fuso-based build. I don't own one except the paper model, haha. I'm probably one of few people that still draw when there are so many modeling programs out there. But, it's relaxing...and I don't have a PC or very powerful laptop.

The camper would be custom and removable so the truck could be used as a flatbed.

The passenger compartment would have a pass-through on each end, one to the cab and one to the camper. It would also have a door on driver's side and window on passenger side.

Camper will have entry door on passenger side and two 8' wide by 7' tall concessions-style doors on the driver's side. The outside door hinges out and up to become a roof and overlaps the inside door. The inside door hinges out and down to become a deck. The sink/cooktop cabinet hinges and swings out onto the deck for outside cooking.

I'm aware of the need to remove the camper, or at least jack it up to clear the cab for tilting. I'd also have to undo the pass-through boot at the passenger cab.

Nick

Hi Nick,
My opinion only >>>>
Watch your weight. Adding the weight of the tray with garage plus the weight of the camper , I bet you will be at the outer limits of your payload.
The tray will need to be fairly strong so that the weight of the camper is spread along the main runners and not focussed over the rear axle.......take a lesson from Doug Hackney's unfortunate experience where the camper wasn't supported as it should have been and broke the chassis. The main runners (if you aren't sure) are the main longitudinal rails of the tray and they will need to be fairly substantial. So the tray construction shouldn't be too light. Again, the main runners under the tray need to be continuously from the rear to as far forward as possible.
Secondly I would also imagine the camper construction would need to be fairly solid to support the cantilever of the front peak. So again not too light.
Last comment would be to definitely spring mount the tray and especially allow articulation around the toolbox area.
Again my opinion but Bigoolies set up is more practical in many ways. Theoretically, the tray construction could be a little lighter with this design as the load of that camper module is spread over the chassis better.
Hey your concept / plans look fantastic but just exercise a little caution with that design format if fitting to a Fuso.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer

Your using what I oven refer to as CAD, short for 'Cardboard Aided Design'. I use the concept all the time, even in the aerospace industry in which I'm employed. Its amazing how the skills we learn in kindergarten are put to use even in our later years.

Going this route will add complexity and weight to your build. Its all a compromise in the end. Before you purchase anything, make sure you can get vehicle insurance coverage. These trucks have a GVWR over 14,000 lbs and are considered commercial with commercial rates. Insurance companies tend not to want to insure you during a build or conversion. Its not that they don't trust your skills, they have a hard time assigning a value to the effort. Keep any and all receipts for when you re-certify the vehicle as an RV. If you simply drop an already fitted out RV body on the back, the re-certification still has to be done, but its easier since its already fitted out.

Are you sure you really want a pass-though? Your going to want some way to close off the openings should you need to tilt the cab forward or remove the camper.

Sounds a little ambitious to me, but its your build.

You'll need to check with your insurance carrier, they might require the camper body be permanently attached to the truck's chassis.

Nick

What whatcharterboat has to say has merit. He is very wise in such things.

Here's a link to some Body Builder Guides that will prove useful when it comes to mounting a body to these trucks.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
You mean something like this?

View attachment 317867

I thought about a commercialy made slide-in and am not ruling the idea out, but I'd rather design and build or design and have it built. We'll see!

Hi Nick,
My opinion only >>>>
Watch your weight. Adding the weight of the tray with garage plus the weight of the camper , I bet you will be at the outer limits of your payload.
The tray will need to be fairly strong so that the weight of the camper is spread along the main runners and not focussed over the rear axle.......take a lesson from Doug Hackney's unfortunate experience where the camper wasn't supported as it should have been and broke the chassis. The main runners (if you aren't sure) are the main longitudinal rails of the tray and they will need to be fairly substantial. So the tray construction shouldn't be too light. Again, the main runners under the tray need to be continuously from the rear to as far forward as possible.
Secondly I would also imagine the camper construction would need to be fairly solid to support the cantilever of the front peak. So again not too light.
Last comment would be to definitely spring mount the tray and especially allow articulation around the toolbox area.
Again my opinion but Bigoolies set up is more practical in many ways. Theoretically, the tray construction could be a little lighter with this design as the load of that camper module is spread over the chassis better.
Hey your concept / plans look fantastic but just exercise a little caution with that design format if fitting to a Fuso.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice. I don't know what the weight will be but I'll go aluminum to keep the weight as low as I can. As for the camper I'm leaning toward laminated panels and, of course, a frame to support the overhang.

Last edited:

Sixinarow

Adventurer
What whatcharterboat has to say has merit. He is very wise in such things.

Here's a link to some Body Builder Guides that will prove useful when it comes to mounting a body to these trucks.

Thanks for the advice and link. It's difficult to quote what you typed inside my original message but I'll try...

CAD, yes, I saw that term a while back and like it!

Insurance and registration...yeah, I'll definitely research and ask about those issues.

Pass-throughs and door-deck...I'll have a plug or door made for when cab is up. Deck, yes, very ambitious. Not set in stone but an idea I've been toying around with.

Thanks!

biggoolies

Adventurer
The picture I submitted is owned by JHRODD and is actually a 2wd not 4wd as the 4wd is higher as others have mentioned about the height problem. FYI

pugslyyy

I'm having a difficult time adding meaningful commentary because I don't have a good feel on what you want to do with the vehicle. Can you talk a bit about where you plan to take it, how many passengers, for how long, and then rough budget?

Every vehicle is a compromise!

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I'm having a difficult time adding meaningful commentary because I don't have a good feel on what you want to do with the vehicle. Can you talk a bit about where you plan to take it, how many passengers, for how long, and then rough budget?

Every vehicle is a compromise!

Hi, thanks. Yeah, that may help. It's me, my wife, and my two year old son with possibly another child in the future, thus the reason for the passenger compartment.

I live in Colorado. For the time being it will be for weekend trips and vacations in the mountains. I'd like the camper removable so truck can be used as a pickup. I have some places where a regular RV won't work due to size or being 2WD.

It won't be a daily driver but I don't necessarily want a dedicated camper, either.

Budget? Not sure yet, honestly. I'm still in the "figuring out how big" stage.

pugslyyy

Hi, thanks. Yeah, that may help. It's me, my wife, and my two year old son with possibly another child in the future, thus the reason for the passenger compartment.

I live in Colorado. For the time being it will be for weekend trips and vacations in the mountains. I'd like the camper removable so truck can be used as a pickup. I have some places where a regular RV won't work due to size or being 2WD.

It won't be a daily driver but I don't necessarily want a dedicated camper, either.

Budget? Not sure yet, honestly. I'm still in the "figuring out how big" stage.

So... sounds to me like you need a crew cab pickup with a slide in truck camper on it, or a crew cab pickup with the XP Camper flatbed/camper setup.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I agree... a crew cab would be a much better solution, as the normal FG truck is really only good for use by two people (the dickie seat is not really a good seating option for extended traveling)
Given that you cannot get a factory 4x4 crew cab in the US, converting a 2 wheel drive crew cab to 4x4 may be a viable option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94