My friend Axel LR series III 109, 1971

jorge

Observer
These pictures are a tribute to my good friend Axel (Chilean Land rover fanatic) and his Series II A 109, 1971. Axel was a great companion along the mystical Route "40" in Argentina and for sure will be a friend for life.

patagonia95.jpg

patagonia96.jpg

patagonia97.jpg

patagonia99.jpg

patagonia100.jpg

patagonia101.jpg

patagonia107.jpg

patagonia108.jpg

patagonia111.jpg

patagonia117.jpg

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Great collection of photos!

That Camel Trophy Yellow 109 is the embodiment of an expedition vehicle. Too, too cool. :jumping: :rally_guys:

vengeful

Explorer
Yeah, I've got to agree. That's about as "Expedition" as they come!

I've got to ask the dumb newbie question though. I know the purpose of the big metal slabs on the side of the roof rack - hard driving surface in really soft, sloppy terrain, but what in the world are they made of, and where in the world can I get some!?

jorge

Observer
Luisjg,

I just send an email to Alex with your question..I wrote the wrong info about been a series III is actually a Series II A 1971.

LUISJG

Explorer
nvprospector said:
I hate pictures like that. Because it makes me want one even more.

Nice pics and thanks.

I can relate to that... i been lurking in the rovernorth forum and they have some realy nice ones.

Jorge, thanks,, thats intesting that realy looks likea series III

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Those are some nice pics! I'm willing to bet he has an upgraded diesel engine in there ~ the 2.25 diesel that came in the 2a's would have a hard time pushing wide tires like that on a fully loaded 109.

jorge

Observer
LUISJG said:
I can relate to that... i been lurking in the rovernorth forum and they have some realy nice ones.

Jorge, thanks,, thats intesting that realy looks likea series III

BD30 Nissan 3.000 cc Diesel

jorge

Observer
Bruce Behnfeldt said:
anyone know if that roof-rack is something off the shelf or is it custom.....

I know that this Series was originally equiped in England (Including the Roof Rack) in the 70s for an Expedition that started in Germany, when thru Africa and ended in Chile. One of the members of the expedtion fell in love in Chile and never returned to Germany..Axel found it in warehouse in pieces, bought it, and spend 2 years in his restoration. He replaced the original engine with a Diesel Nissan BD30 3.000cc. The wheels are BBS (Italian), Camel Trophy series, specially made for Land Rovers...The tires are BFGoodrich MT 285/75R16 other equipment include:

Hydraulic Winch
Double tank
hydraulic Steering

Saludos

SuperSoniC_110

Observer
seems to me a Brownchurch style roofrack.
Was quite popular over here in Europe until a few years ago the South African brands came along with their Aluminium stuff.

LR-11-95-110-EXT.jpg

49.jpg

:sunny:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94