My first regear contact pattern opinions please

rayra

Expedition Leader
higher carbon steel, it is probably superficial rust, sure is the right color of rust, anyway. How was your gear oil and your vent cap / breather tube plumbed high?

contact looks nice and centered as it should be. Any shims or things mate up that nice on the first go?

Reused the old pinion shim gear oil looked great and I had already previously routed the breather tube up high in the body panel

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Textbook job on contact appearance !
Btw,
That red colour looks like Glyptal Paint. Its common stuff to paint insides of cast iron gear housings and engines with it.
Thanks . I was thinking it must be some kind of coating its rust like in color but it does bot have the texture of rust it is smooth and not flakey at all nothing rubs off on a rag even with brake clean. Kind of wish they had done the inside of the diff that way also it looks bare metalnin there but is rust free. Thanks for complement on the pattern it acutally went surprisingly well soni was worried i did it wrong but it looks ok me. Granted this was done with minimal load my hand and a rag on the ring gear while turning probably more load while checking would have been good but its out of the car on jack stands and not super stable for heavy loads. Well im going to run it ans see how it goes.

So after procrastinating most of the summer im finally getting to regearing my front dana 60 to match here is my pattern so far any pointers? Im thinking it may be a little to close to deep or too far to the root and toe but wanted some input before i make more adjustments. Its a dana 60 front and currently has between 7 and 8 thou back lash and pinion bearing preload is about 17inlbs with no seal installed and one old race installed on the pinnion. Thanks for any input mike

54a82e7defa67f37f63810cce080cf0d.jpg
5c0b95ebe83bc13bc6729acce6cda07f.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke