My first jeep

advantureroad

Hello everyone. Picked this 98 up a few weeks ago for $1000. Runs pretty decent for its age, but the previous owner had it for several years and only used it in the winter. Didn’t want his nice cars getting eaten up by the Iowa road salt. By the looks of it, an oil change every 3 or 4 years was the only maintenance it’s ever had. Has some unibody rot I’m gonna have to repair as well as a full brake job and steering rebuild. I was going back and forth for quite a while on maybe getting something newer, but in the end decided I just didn’t want the car payment. I’ve heard and read how great these things are off road, decently comfortable on road, and easy/cheap to maintain. What I never heard was what a pain they are to get into. I’m 6ft, and have to do some serious body crunching to get in. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The fugly wheels have definitely got to go. I don’t do any major rock crawling or mudding. I live in Iowa and get out to Colorado, South Dakota and other places with trails maybe twice a year. So far all done in my Chevy express van without any problems. Only drawbacks I’ve had with the van is the long wheel base on tighter trails(nothing even mildly hardcore) and obviously the 1 wheel drive in some situations. This is what lead me to the jeep. So I’m curious and would like to hear from anyone running stock height jeeps and how far you’ve been able to go, any regrets lifting or not? I’m not worried so much about dropping the money for the lift kit as much as I am the hit on gas mileage. Not expecting super great fuel economy or anything with and old box of a vehicle, but I’d like to get the best I can.

Attachments

• B1806E91-50F9-4B51-87F5-0648EC11472E.jpeg
    B1806E91-50F9-4B51-87F5-0648EC11472E.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 17

Zeep

Adventurer
Welcome to the fray. Keep a eye on online forums, and marketplaces, for good used parts. You should have no problem sourcing a set of wheels that way.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Congrats on the new toy! Sounds like you have a decent project. 98-99 XJ's are the unicorns with a lot of the best options, setups and build materials. I drive a 97 with 3" Zone lift currently running JL takeoff tires. Nothing too aggressive, but built to tackle soft roads and the wilds of Kansas. MPG usually runs around 16-18 towing a small adventure trailer or with the tent on the roof, as long as I stay off the highway.
Long term plans include a rear axle swap, including disk brakes, and to keep it running as long as I can.

Crusty looking on an adventure by Tim, on Flickr

Winterhawk

I'm 6 ft and fit pretty easy in the front, but the back is real tight. Don't use the back anyway since it has no rear seat belts. Mine has approx a 1 1/2 inch lift with 30 inch tires and that's all I've needed so far. Stock suspension and 235/75R15 tires will get you many places so I wouldn't worry about a lift until you think you'll need one down the road.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Congratulations! A full renovation and update will serve you well. The company (I think in India) that runs the "galeri_xj" Instagram page restores some really nice XJs. It may be a good place for inspiration.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke