My First Jeep - 1998 XJ

Huffster

Making Some Changes

I've decided to remove the factory roof tracks and cross bars and replace with something more useful. I really wanted something that would allow me to carry a couple of bikes and some camping gear.

Removing the cross bars was easy. I wanted to remove the tracks but was not sure want I would find after I removed the six Torx screws on each side.

Here is the track

image.jpg

Once removed the original screws were too long, so I replaced them with these

image.jpg

The new screws fit great and left a fairly clean look... better than empty holes.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm going to wash and wax the top and install a FrontRunner Slimline this weekend.

image.jpg

Singlespeed92

Observer
I'm new here,so I'm just seeing this. Nice XJ,my friend :D I just bought my first Jeep this year too (back in February),it's also a '98 that was fairly well taken care of. With mine had come with a 3" lift like yours,LOL,that's on my to-do list (I'm like you,3" will probably be as far as I ever want to go on mine,with some 32x11.50" tires with a slight trim to the fenders for clearance-I'm more interested in trails and camping than crawling or bogging :) ).

Huffster

FrontRunner Rack Installed

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm very impressed with the quality and happy with the outcome. Time to load up the bikes and hit the trail!

Huffster

Thanks and congrats on your XJ! I got my Sawblades back from being painted and am having new tires mounted on Thursday. Can't wait! I went with 31 X 10.5 R15.

vonguido

Adventurer
Its going to look really nice when you get the sawblades on there. Will the FrontRunner rack support an RTT?

Huffster

Sawblades & New Tires

I got the new tires mounted up on the sawblades that I picked up on CL. Here are some before and afters pics. Let me know what you think.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Huffster

Ready for some camping

Just finished up running power from my battery to power the fridge.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It's gonna be nice not dealing with soggy food from melted ice! :wings:

vonguido

Adventurer
Looks so much better on those Sawblades. How difficult was it to run the power for the fridge in the back? What battery setup do you have?

Huffster

Looks so much better on those Sawblades. How difficult was it to run the power for the fridge in the back? What battery setup do you have?
Thanks, vonguido! I'm really happy with the new wheels.
The fridge project was pretty simple. I'm running the Super Start Platinum AGM dual terminal battery http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_C0423_1502147_-1&pt=C0423&ppt=C0005
I debated about hooking up a second battery in the rear, but decided against it. I also didn't want to make the changes necessary to be able to fit a second battery under the hood.

To get the power to the rear I used the ARB Fridge Wiring Kit /W Threaded Socket
http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/arb-fridge-wiring-kit-and-threaded-socket-10900027

I found a plug in my firewall about "10 'o'clock" above the brake pedal. It was pretty high up and I just had to barely peel the carpet down to see it. It had some spring type prongs holding in place. I pushed and prodded from the inside and got it to pop out.

After that it was a matter of threading the wire loom through the firewall hole and under the trim all along the drivers side of the xj. Watch out for the seatbelt attachments. I accidentally ran the wire over the seatbelt attachment support instead of under and didn't notice until I was tucking the wire under the trim. Had to pull out the wire and start again. It seems like like kind of stuff happens to me all of the time! It's the little things...

I mounted the socket here image.jpg

It is in a vertical position so I modified the socket by drilling a hole in the end of the socket so that my wires could go straight up and in. ARB provides all the parts you need in the kit except the two screws you'll need to mount the socket to your vehicle. I tried using the supplied "right angled" termination clips that came in the kit, but had trouble making my wires connect because of where I wanted my socket. That's why I drilled the hole in the bottom and attached my own crimp wire clips. I used some shrink tubing to cover the end of the clips.

Finally I modified that firewall plug that I had popped out. I cut out a section allowing room for the wire and applied some sealant and popped it back into place.

The final step was to hook the wire up to the battery. The ARB wires came already terminated with rings so it's was just a matter screwing into the battery. The dual terminals on the battery make this a piece of cake.

The whole project probably took me two hours.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier