my experience with GMRS so far

dreadlocks

Your kenwood is gonna do wideband unless configured otherwise, the midlands narrow.. If your on a 12.5Khz wide channel and others are broadcasting 25Khz wide its going to exasperbate multipath interference, especially in any kinda urban environment as UHF Multipath just gets worse (or better if you need to exploit it).

Whats your son transmitting with? All my commercial/ham radios I have programmed to do narrow on GMRS because most off the shelf gear is narrow nowdays and having a mixed communications network at best results inconsistent audio volume.

Billoftt

The son is transmitting with a Midland GMRS HT. On the TM-V71 the GMRS frequencies were programmed into it in narrowband mode (that’s what the FMN means, I just got used to Icom’s mode-naming convention).

Trust me, both of my Midlands picket fence when receiving GMRS and the VHF WX stations. When I get bored this weekend I am going to slap my ID-5100A in there and see what happens.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I haven't had any problems with mine. Had heard of the issue when they first came out but not so much now.

Same. I've got 4 of the MXT275s with no issues. A buddy of mine did have an issue with his, but from his research Midland is aware of less than 5 units that had his issue. Something with him being able to RX but no audio coming through on TX.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
LOL, I mean I connected the Kenwood to the same NMO and antennas that the Midland was connected to and listened to my son talk to me and then the WX stations. The freqs in the Kenwood were programmed in FMN. I just did it as a “control” because the Kenwood is a high-end radio that I know doesn’t have that issue.

I know what you meant. I'm joking that you have too *good* of an antenna and insufficiently lossy coax thus are overloading the front end of the Midland, giving the AGC fits and desensitizing.

The GMRS radio just has lower tolerance for frequency drift or reception artifacts. It's front end filters are likely not nearly as good as a traditional Kenwood ham radio, which is going to be pretty good and generally most of us agree to be some of the better sounding radios.

It's a matter of expectations I suppose and they're just good enough. No different than the Baofeng class radios that suit some hams just fine but comparatively are IMO junk.

Last edited:

Billoftt

I know what you meant. I'm joking that you have too *good* of an antenna and insufficiently lossy coax thus are overloading the front end of the Midland, giving the AGC fits and desensitizing.

Dang it that’s the problem with typed text in forums, I just can’t pick up the jokes that well.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Time to step up my game. My wife and I both passed our technician exams yesterday. GMRS will still play a big role in comms for us though as we have all the gear, and its easier with friends and family as only a small handful of them are hams.

Billoftt

Time to step up my game. My wife and I both passed our technician exams yesterday. GMRS will still play a big role in comms for us though as we have all the gear, and its easier with friends and family as only a small handful of them are hams.

You will never regret that decision.

ebg18t

Adventurer
Even know I have my tech lic., I’m pondering adding one of these Midland Micro’s since so many folks like to use these handhelds.

DaveInDenver

If you have figured out how to pass a Tech exam, you can figure out how to program this with Chirp.
Tell me if it looks familiar at all.
Surely you're not suggesting the MXT400...
MXT400-with-mic-600x400.jpg

...and the Anytone AT-588
iu.jpeg

might be the same radio internally?

coastalcop

Wow, this is a lot of great information. Got my GMRS license a few months ago and some handhelds. Been playing around with them on hunting and dual sport trips in west texas (amistad and big bend) . As with any newbie I had no idea of some of the complexities involved and this thread is a treasure trove ! As I learn more (or stumble more ;) i will be back here to ask questions/seek guidance from the experts! Thanks!

Billoftt

Surely you're not suggesting the MXT400...
View attachment 603494

...and the Anytone AT-588
View attachment 603493

might be the same radio internally?

giphy.gif

DaveInDenver

I bet one can do split tones at half the price...
In all seriousness they are obviously built by Anyone for Midland and that alone isn't unusual. The firmware isn't the same although I suspect the hardware is similar, if not identical. So Midland is under no obligation to eat the cost for engineering developing, marketing it potential buyers and pencil-whipping an FCC Part 95 test document.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier