my experience with GMRS so far

Billoftt

You gotta dig around his site a bit. Go ahead and splurge on the N-type connecter, they have significantly less loss than SO-239 and are waterproof.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
You can also go to this website to plot an actual RF coverage map.

Be advised, it is in French and it is metric. However, you can input your antenna gain, antenna location, cable loss, antenna height, ground elevation, frequency, receiving antenna gain and height, etc. and it create an RF map using elevation data for the area.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Is this site working for anyone else? I remember it being finicky at best when I was playing around with it a few months ago, but getting nothing but error messages now.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Put the ground kit on the camper today. It's better than it was, but still not as good as the same antenna on the roof of the Jeep. I didn't like how much play there was with the 2 piece radials either, so I left them off and that probably contributed to the lack of performance increase. Also snapped one off screwing it in. Oops.

Pretty much got the green light from the finance committee to just order the KB9VBR setup though, so that's cool.

nemobuscaptain

Put the ground kit on the camper today. It's better than it was, but still not as good as the same antenna on the roof of the Jeep. I didn't like how much play there was with the 2 piece radials either, so I left them off and that probably contributed to the lack of performance increase. Also snapped one off screwing it in. Oops.

Pretty much got the green light from the finance committee to just order the KB9VBR setup though, so that's cool.
Any piece of metal that is the same approximate length or longer will work.

Billoftt

Hey Bill, this is the 2nd post we have seen of you telling people that the Midland MicroMobiles have bad "Picket Fencing" which is the first time we have heard of this on any forum online. If you are having issues with your particular radios please give customer service a call at 816-241-8500 M-F 8am-4:3pm CT and a customer service representative will be happy to troubleshoot the issue for you. Thanks!
I tried, nobody responded to my issue.

Your customer service skills are a lot like your products, meh...

Billoftt

Yeah, they sent a replacement that had the same problem. I guess they are tired of me.

Billoftt

Yeah, they sent a replacement that had the same problem. I guess they are tired of me.

Can I upload video? I took videos of both stationary and moving.

dreadlocks

Upload to youtube and then link it here, it'll auto embed it.

You tried another antenna setup? what antenna? are you talking to people w/narrowband midlands too or they transmitting wideband?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Can I upload video? I took videos of both stationary and moving.
I'd like to see them if you find a way. Perhaps a Bitchute or Youtube account can be made available?

Picket fencing is tough. Even very good radios will sometimes be subject to multipath and selective fading since it's ultimately a signal strength question. With a strong enough signal and absent obstructions even a relatively lackluster performing radio won't picket fence. So it's not really a binary question of will it or won't it.

Billoftt

Upload to youtube and then link it here, it'll auto embed it.

You tried another antenna setup? what antenna? are you talking to people w/narrowband midlands too or they transmitting wideband?

Install is RG8X with NMO on roof. I tested with Laird phantom antenna, Midland 5/8 antenna and Larsen 2/70SH on the NMO. I also used the included 1/4 mag mount and all had same results. I then hooked up a Kenwood TM-V71A with the above antennas and no picket fencing.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Install is RG8X with NMO on roof. I tested with Laird phantom antenna, Midland 5/8 antenna and Larsen 2/70SH on the NMO. I also used the included 1/4 mag mount and all had same results. I then hooked up a Kenwood TM-V71A with the above antennas and no picket fencing.
LOL, you're probably overdriving the poor thing's front end.

The question regarding bandwidth is still open. That could certainly wreck havoc. A TM-V71 would be the opposite problem, wideband listening to narrowband would result in low audio and loss of range.

Billoftt

LOL, you're probably overdriving the poor thing's front end.

The question regarding bandwidth is still open. That could certainly wreck havoc. A TM-V71 would be the opposite problem, wideband listening to narrowband would result in low audio and loss of range.

LOL, I mean I connected the Kenwood to the same NMO and antennas that the Midland was connected to and listened to my son talk to me and then the WX stations. The freqs in the Kenwood were programmed in FMN. I just did it as a “control” because the Kenwood is a high-end radio that I know doesn’t have that issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles