MY DREAM BUILD… ULTRA-LIGHT "GO FAST" CAMPER.

ZeneralGod

2017 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor-based EarthRoamer XV-R!!!

I wrote this entire message once before and it was accidentally deleted, so I have re-typed it focusing on the salient points.

(1) Years have passed since the XV-JP has been produced, and despite EarthRoamer's market research indicating the market wants LARGER vehicles (XV-HD), I believe THERE IS a niche market for LIGHTER models. (Notice I did not necessarily say smaller, although smaller IS good.) The concept is to make an expedition vehicle that is ULTRA-LIGHT. Partly for the engineering challenge (Light weight materials now exist that are AS GOOD OR BETTER than their traditional counterparts) and partly because Light Weight Vehicles handle infinitely better in ANY terrain (Snow, Mud, Sand, Rock & Pavement)...

I CALLED EarthRoamer and asked them to build me THIS SPECIFIC TRUCK, and they flatly REFUSED. They said they had no plans to "go smaller", ONLY BIGGER.
I respect whatever Bill decides is the right direction for his business, but I humbly insist he reconsider, and at least do a feasibility and marketing study on THE POSSIBILITY OF SERIALIZING this particular concept.

(2) Rikki Rockett's Raptor Camper, for ideas. http://youtu.be/PqUMtp5EePg

(3) A pass-through from the sunroof through a marine grade hatch under the overcab bed. (No cutting the new aluminum body required.)

(4) “Arovex” Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Epoxy Resin for the camper shell, would greatly reduce weight WHILE improving strength.

(5) “Starfire” Ceramic-Forming Polymer Lightweight Bulletproof Panels for the Camper Shell.

(6) The 2017 Raptor has its own DEDICATED high-strength steel frame. (Does not share a frame with the “standard” F-150.)

(7) Long Travel Air Suspension (for the rear) now exists, and Rockett has it on his Raptor.

(8) I prefer planetary axles for the rear.

(9) Additional suspension tuning and other goodies, by Addictive Desert Designs, Raptor Performance Group, and Sway Away, Etc.

(10) Kevlar Bedliner covering the entire cab, instead of paint...

(11) I am aware of companies like Uro-Camper, XP Camper "Cube" and "Maltec" I have not written those guys off by any means. I just want to find the right company willing to work with EXOTIC LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIALS to maintain handling.

THANK YOU,

The Zeneral

Last edited:
I'm sure they will gladly build to your specifications. If you are interested in this and have the coin to fund the build, call them directly and speak with them. I'm sure they are accommodating, when it comes to five figure vehicles.

ZeneralGod

I actually did give them a call and ask them and they resolutely and flatly REFUSED... I was pretty surprised... They claimed they were booked solid and the next big project would be the XV-HD.

I asked again, in a different way, and they said they had "no plan" to go smaller, only larger...

LOL

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I actually did give them a call and ask them and they resolutely and flatly REFUSED... I was pretty surprised... They claimed they were booked solid and the next big project would be the XV-HD.
Don't be TOO surprised. Earthroamer does serial production of off-pavement motorhomes, rather than building customized projects. And they are indeed all booked up with successful quarter-million-dollar-plus sales of the F-550-based XV-LT, of which they have built over 100 examples using now-well-developed techniques they are comfortable with and good at.

You might do better to call a group such as Creative Mobile Interiors in Grove City, Ohio, which is a company willing to build projects from scratch. I mention them because they did my expedition Sprinter, but they've also built everything from million-dollar bus conversions to a Stewart and Stevenson FMTV, all to the customer's preferences. There are others, too . . . your trick will be to find someone you want to work with. (And, of course, paying for the considerable cost of one-off custom work. ;) )

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Really hard to make money on one-offs. You have to allocate all of your design and engineering costs to a single sale instead of many.

Why not just get another builder to put together what you want? EarthRoamer make a nice product but they aren't the only game in town.

njtacoma

Explorer
When I visited they said they were 15 months out on current builds, and the big HD was up for 2015.

It seems like a lot of work to the raptor and just start with a standard truck, say an f350 or say f550, do a custom suspension, cut out the back of the cab, build a custom lightweight cabin, oh wait that's an earthroamer...

I do like your idea of a cool lightweight raptor based camper, but it is far from what Earthroamer does now. I can see transfer of ideas from the 550 to the 650 chassis, but to go lighter and smaller would be pretty different.

Clutch

<---Pass
Call SDHQ, they'll build you what you want. They have built plenty of Raptors...

...do a combo of this on a Raptor platform...there you go.

armored-truck-3.jpg

Though a 1/2 Ton chassis is bit light IMO for your desires, best to go with at least a F250/F350. And with that, just get an XP Camper or a Tiger. Tiger is closer to what you want, I am guessing.

tiger-cx-lutzy48.jpg

XPF350.jpg

malayan-980x430.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Global Expedition Vehicles does custom work. GEV has a line of camping vehicles inspired by Gary Wescott's Turtle V. Not inexpensive by any means, but pretty close to the OP's ideas.
http://globalxvehicles.com/global-expedition-vehicle-turtle-offroad-rv/

While starting with the Raptor chassis sounds appealing, the low carrying capacity of the Raptor (about 1100 lb) will be overwhelmed by anything more than the most Spartan camper. Note the GEV Turtle models use an F450 chassis. XPCamper uses an F350 or Dodge 3500.

foxhunter

Adventurer
I don't know why a 1/2 ton Raptor is so appealing for an expedition vehicle. Wouldn't a 3/4 ton Ram charger with the 6.4 hemi, factory lift, 3 locking differentials, skid plates and factory installed winch be a better starting point? Even that would require going pretty light on the camper, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
Tiger does a 1 ton Ram on their site just a smidge over $100K. Just a tad cheaper than an ER. Practically brand new with only 15K miles

link

NKN0199.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
While starting with the Raptor chassis sounds appealing, the low carrying capacity of the Raptor (about 1100 lb) will be overwhelmed by anything more than the most Spartan camper.

That is less than a Tacoma.

Ford is offering a F150 with a 3000 lbs payload. Not sure how they are doing that, however would be better starting with that, than a narrow focused Raptor, you have to rebuild the suspension to carry the weight of a camper body...not cost effective if you have to rip out the stock raptor suspension.

Global Expedition Vehicles does custom work. GEV has a line of camping vehicles inspired by Gary Wescott's Turtle V. Not inexpensive by any means, but pretty close to the OP's ideas.
http://globalxvehicles.com/global-expedition-vehicle-turtle-offroad-rv/

Hmmm...wonder if they would take a stab at something like what Maltec does? I can see something like that on a 1/2 Ton Chassis.

11427534fp.jpg

allrad019.jpg

Last edited:

digitaldelay

Explorer
I was not aware that Rikki had sold his JKUR and gone to a Raptor-camper. Thanks for the vid.

Good luck with your build, whatever you decide.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles