MY DREAM BUILD… ULTRA-LIGHT "GO FAST" CAMPER.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for letting me know about Maltec! It's exactly what I am looking for!

You're welcome. It is a German company so getting it here would be a huge hassle and expense. However, as Haven mention Global Expedition vehicles
may be able to build a similar design on a F150/Raptor chassis for you. If it were me, I would start with a base F150, build the suspension to my needs, and simply toss on a Raptor front clip if you like the look, believe Fiberwerx makes a kit. http://fiberwerx.com/listing/04-14-f150-to-raptor-oem-style-conversion/

Shoot Global Expedition an email and see what they say.

Maltec does have a thread on here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/79888-Some-pictures-of-our-work-maltec-from-germany

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I think Clutch is right... Unless your sold on the raptor motor alone. But for a build of this caliber why not work with a good suspension company or the custom manufacturer and set the suspension right to the truck? That kinda goes for the whole truck too... If you're looking to customize something to this level start with a base model and build it the way you want. Although after looking at the 2017 Raptors there are alot of things to like! Big motor, better drive train, lots of aluminum/composite. I do think the stock suspension would end up unusable however.

Here's a big question, what cab configuration are you looking to do? Single Cab, extended cab or 4 full doors? How many people will you need to haul?

I'd build a diesel F250, Excab short bed if it was me! Stronger all the way around.. get with PMF for a fully custom suspension system, lockers, boom! Be one bad machine.

Clutch

<---Pass
That grey Hilux in my post has roughly a 2000 lbs pay load, basically what an American 1/2 ton has...if the camper was exactly like the Maltec, think you would be fine.

A F150 Ecoboost with beefed up suspension would be be ok...or even the Ram Eco Diesel though IIRC the Ram 1500 only has a around a 1300 lbs payload.

Or if you're totally hellbent on using a Raptor...toss on a FlipPac, build out the interior like on TacoDocs Tacoma. It is sorta close to what the euros have without breaking the bank, nor getting too heavy.

1109or-06%2bchevy-silverado-1500-plan-b%2bcamper.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:

ZeneralGod

SO many awesome ideas! I love the Maltec ethic of maintaining the handling of the truck at higher speeds.

My original idea was to have a true long-wheelbase "limo-style" trophy truck built with a tubular space frame, and customize the entire truck exactly the way I want.
But that raises the price to about 1.2 million.

ZeneralGod

XP Camper Cube comes closest, I think.

Here is a question... Has anyone heard of a tubular space-frame "trophy truck-style" camper ever being built???

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Forgot about the XP Cube.

Tube frame camper? I haven't, sure it can be done with enough cash....TT's are at the million dollar mark. May want to talk to Stewarts Raceworks.

I do have a crazy idea of building a long travel camper...though I would build it like the Silverado I pictured...and just link the rear, with a mini bed cage so you don't loose too much interior camper space.

This and a Flip Pac and call it good.

P3131170.jpg

That spare would have to be moved to the bumper though, like on the Silvy.

P7112023.jpg

ddlink2.jpg

If you look close this Ranger is linked...replace the camper shell with a Flip Pac, yeah?

1098171_10151781112439630_239707688_n.jpg

Last edited:

ZeneralGod

That's exactly what I am talking about! Nice pics!
Although, I do love me some camping in Alaska, so a flip pack won't work. But a rising hard top would work perfectly!

I wish Bowler made a long wheelbase version of the EXR-S with left-hand drive. Would LOVE to make a camper out of that.

Long travel is a necessity. I don't want to compromise anything. I want Speed, Comfort, and the ability to go where no one else will go.

Perhaps I should forgo the truck idea and just a get a helicopter.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
That super duty has portals... It's freakin AWESOME, and I've wanted to build something like it for a long time. I've raised the question about daily driving/expoing portals and have had much luck on answers. My dream build is a slightly bigger version of what the OP has been discussion so far... On a superduty platform if you can't tell haha.

Can you confirm what cab configuration you're looking for?

I'll drop these pictures here also :) This is from PMF, the company I told you to look into if you'd step up to a 3/4 ton. (For some reason the image uploader isn't working for me). You can see the kinda work Trevor can do with a super duty... 47" of wheel travel in the rear, full trailing arm.. custom coil overs in the front, ect... If you dream it he can build it! Just think of that lift scaled down with the coils sucked up into the bed/hood/fenders. So something like a 2-4" full trailing arm (Picture is a 10" and I know that's too big, just giving you insight on what he can do). I know he can do it because I've talked to Trevor about building mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pmf+trailing+arm&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=a73UVLC_Mc7juQSC4oIY&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Also check these out... I bet they aren't light, but would be a nice habitat on the back if you could build a lightweight version. http://www.expedition-cabin.de/en/home.html Need something along the lines of a Carbon Fiber hard shell pop-up!

Or what about a light weight version of an XP Camper? I like the cab over designs simply because it adds more room, but maybe not as simple as you're looking for.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That super duty has portals... It's freakin AWESOME, and I've wanted to build something like it for a long time. I've raised the question about daily driving/expoing portals and have had much luck on answers. My dream build is a slightly bigger version of what the OP has been discussion so far... On a superduty platform if you can't tell haha.

Or what about a light weight version of an XP Camper? I like the cab over designs simply because it adds more room, but maybe not as simple as you're looking for.

Like what The Zeneral said, XP does have the cube, make it a hard sided popup instead of a soft. And there you go.

3389bdb5005f764b834b69eec679c0fb.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I don't understand the concept of a go-fast camper. You're going to have so much weight, and such a high COG (even with the lightest possible design), that it just doesnt make sense. The flippac idea is close, but the weight of the interior stuff is still going to be huge. If you make it light enough to perform like a Raptor, then you will have so few amenities you might as well just have a ground tent.

Or, build a proper 1 ton camper with a CRF playtoy hung on the back... the best of both worlds

cwsqbm

Explorer
Really hard to make money on one-offs. You have to allocate all of your design and engineering costs to a single sale instead of many.

+1 I could see the described product costing $1 million to have built. Labor costs add up really fast, and quality work isn't cheap (look at the costs associated with custom cars if you think that sounds insane). Look how much a normal Earthroamer costs once options are added, and they're not making a killing on them based on past economic troubles they've faced.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't understand the concept of a go-fast camper. You're going to have so much weight, and such a high COG (even with the lightest possible design), that it just doesnt make sense. The flippac idea is close, but the weight of the interior stuff is still going to be huge. If you make it light enough to perform like a Raptor, then you will have so few amenities you might as well just have a ground tent.

Or, build a proper 1 ton camper with a CRF playtoy hung on the back... the best of both worlds

From going down to Baja for 20 years, I get the go fast campers....even the mild roads will beat the living crap out of you.

Me personally, I don't need much for amenities...a go fast "bare bones, in the camper department" is fine for me...we ride dirt bikes as well...so nice to have a chase
truck that can get down the road in hurry comfortably as well.

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior