My Dodge Dakota Q-cab

hikingff77

Adventurer
We used our truck to go CC for our honeymoon. It worked well, although a ball-joint started to show it's age on a trail so we bagged it and returned to camp.

I traded it in two weeks ago for an '08 Silverado. Thing is awesome. Esp. for my needs with my family size.

colodak

Adventurer
this has been a long project, the main box is almost done. Waiting on the wife to get home now so I can finish screwing down the lid. Then off to get some carpeting, hopefully get it installed tonight. Last part to build on the main box is the drawer fronts, but I can build those with the box installed.

colodak

Adventurer
hopefully over the next month I'll have a bunch of new pics of various additions, have a couple of items in the works right now

colodak

Adventurer
finally got my storage box completed and installed, already contemplating redesigning next year, but we'll see. The large open section is up by the cab, works for carrying stuff we don't normally need to remove. The opening on the bottom in the back is for two camp chairs that I carry all the time and you never know when they'll be needed. The large drawer on the left has all my tool inside. With it in the back of my truck it's massive, the small drawer on the right may actually be modified again. Still need to get some pics of it in my pickup.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Very nice, very simple. Something I would consider doing since it's organized and looks easily enough removable. Looks good. My biggest thing holding me back is whether or not I'd ever use any of the crap back there, I don't ever need recovery gear unless I'm off-roading which as of yet hasen't happened. I've recovered a few people in my day just using a tow strap for people who are crazy enough to go out in the snow when it's clearly not suitable for a 4-door compact. Other than that, that's pretty much it. I would use it if on trips, etc. Trying to get more organized.

colodak

Adventurer
Couple of updates, decided to give mine some love

Purple Cranium 1/2 Diff guard, thanks to a fellow member on here for the info this item. My diff cover is setup for a temp sender, I have to get around to adding the guage and wiring on the inside.

16 x8 Vision Warrior wheels wrapped with 265/70x16 BFG's

colodak

Adventurer
wow, it's been a slow couple of months. ordered a couple of toys today, new Garmin street GPS for both the Dakota and the wife's Audi. New front shocks coming, installed RS9000's back in Sept. and for some reason one is failing, so the replacement is on it's way. Looking at some Rigid or similar Inustries LED off-roading for the front to replace my current PIAA lights. Have a few other projects in the pipeline for this year depeding on cash flow.

toehold

Hey colodak,

I appreciate your time & effort to post pics & the explanations. I've just picked up a 00 Dakota QC myself. I was searching for storage ideas when I ran across this forum. Lots of good ideas around here.

Like what you've done so far and I'm taking notes! A couple of semi-on topic questions.

See that you have running boards installed. Do they get used much or is it just awkward enough that everyone bypasses them? Do they get in the way when you get off-road?

I'd be interested in hear how your new shocks work out as well. I'm sure I need to replace mine as well.

Thanks!

TH

colodak

Adventurer
That's actually the second set of nerf bars, the first set rusted out and broke at the welds. This set has been on for 7 yrs and held up well. I usually step over them getting in/out of the truck, but my wife and other people do use them. As for off-road, they don't get in the way, and actually, the one on the drivers side has done double duty as an in promptu slider. Went over Mosquito Pass a few years back, going between two rocks, heard a scrape/slide, later noticed a 16" long scrape/gouge on the drivers side bar. Had it not been there, I would have either cleared totally or taken out a rocker panel or door. I am setting the money aside to get some real sliders/side steps made up. Figure about $500 to $600 for something decent, there was someone I believe who posted on here or one of the Dakota sites (great places for info as well) they made some custom sliders. They were located in Ft. Collins, I'm heading out of town for a funeral, when I get back I'm going to get with someone to get some bars made up. My storage box is actually going to be re-done next summer to work a little better.

colodak

Adventurer
The unfortunate part of these trucks, is the aftermarket has abandoned us, hence, everything has to be custom done. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing as it leads to uniqueness.

tperkins

Observer
Colo, check out the updates to my build thread. Just put Rigid lighting on my 99 Dakota, see what you think. How do you like those shocks? I've been looking for a good set, i looked into the Edelbrock's but $100 per shock is just too high for me. The Rancho's are a fair bit less IIRC.

bsheets

Hey could you post a better pic of your roof rack with the lights on it. I am interested in doing something similar on my dakota if I get a cap.

colodak

Adventurer
I just yanked my lights off my rack, they had filled with water and are ruined. I am doing some other updates over the next couple of weeks to my rack and will get new pics when it's done.

colodak

Adventurer
oooooo, look what the delivery truck dropped off today....and it's already at the powder coater, be back in a week to 10 days and installed in two weeks
6878935972_541491a04b_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94