My DIY Portable ARB Air Compressor

Berserker

Hello, fellow adventure travelers. Below is a quick overview of my portable ARB air compressor build. I've had this compressor for eight years and it was hard-mounted in my first two Jeeps. On my third build, I wanted a customizable solution wherein my Jeep isn't always burdened with my off-road gear. This Jeep is my daily driver and I keep weight down when possible. In seven years I never needed my compressor outside of trips. My motivation for doing this is I don't have to keep buying vehicle-specific compressor mounts when I change rigs and can hand it off to a fellow traveler.

In the video, I briefly discuss the build and how you can duplicate it. The video also includes how I modified the ARB wiring harness with a diagram.

I used a Zarges K470 case.

CampStewart

Observer
I bought a arb twin a few months ago and am still figuring out how I want to plumb it I am looking to include a pressure switch and bleeder valve for more pressure control. Have you taken any measurements of surface and output air temps with the compressor in and out of the box? I would be concerned about heat buildup due to low air circulation around the compressor. I would also think that the Aluminum box would make for more objectionable noise. Did you do any kind of test to see how loud it was in and out of the box?

Berserker

I bought a arb twin a few months ago and am still figuring out how I want to plumb it I am looking to include a pressure switch and bleeder valve for more pressure control. Have you taken any measurements of surface and output air temps with the compressor in and out of the box? I would be concerned about heat buildup due to low air circulation around the compressor. I would also think that the Aluminum box would make for more objectionable noise. Did you do any kind of test to see how loud it was in and out of the box?
The compressor has a built in pressure switch that triggers at 150psi. The aluminum box helps with heat dissipation, and I have not taken temperature readings beyond touching it with my hand to get an idea if I can stow it or not. As for noise, it's not an issue for me. It would have been mounted in the engine bay and the hood is open with the engine running regardless. The box has the bonus of making the sound somewhat directional upward.

Awesome video and great background distractions from the kiddo!

I'll probably steal this idea; I like portable and it's easy to build a mount for the K470 case to clamp down if desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94