My Cargo Box/Sleeping platform

Ric

Adventurer
Well Ive been thinking about this for sometime now, and with the help of a friend (thankx Glen) got it done.
On to the pics,
Test Fit:
IMG_0428.jpg

100% Slides:
IMG_0425.jpg

Sleeping Platform:
IMG_0430.jpg

Turnbuckles holding it in place:
IMG_0429.jpg

The Tie-Downs to hold tire down:
IMG_0448.jpg

Ric

Adventurer
more

Loaded and reay to roll:
IMG_0447.jpg

Ready to sleep in: (just add a sleeping mat)
IMG_0452.jpg

almost forgot the Forward Cubby:
IMG_0455.jpg

Here you can see I hinged this so I can still get to the Side Cubby (where I keep First Aid kits:
IMG_0434.jpg

Thank God Im short :wings:
IMG_0456.jpg

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Looks good! Nice work!

There's gotta be a better option for the spare, no?
Roof mount? Rear bumper?
(BTW- That bumper looks great.)

Ric

Adventurer
HMR said:
Looks good! Nice work!

There's gotta be a better option for the spare, no?
Roof mount? Rear bumper?
(BTW- That bumper looks great.)

thankx,,, I personally would NEVER put a spare on the roof, I want to keep the weight closer to the ground :)
But Im planning on replacing the rear bumper next year with a swing out tire carrier.
And where the spare "went" we are planning and storage there also, a compressor (hopfully and Oasis compressor) a tank, and a Jerry can.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am six foot four and trying to do the same thing in the back of my truck....consider yourself very VERY lucky!

I like the 100% slides.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I put my spare under my platform. My car is an Element with a full length flat floor.

49213934.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
did you build the boxes and then figure out what fits or lay out your stuff to design the size of the boxes???
I am stuck right now trying to figure out how to design and setup a rear storage area...
thanks and looks great!

Willman

Sweet platform!...Very clean!

A swing-out tire carrier would take care of your spare and free up a lot of room!!! Something to think about...:bigbossHL:

Overall...nice job!

:)

Overland Hadley said:
I am six foot four and trying to do the same thing in the back of my truck....consider yourself very VERY lucky!

I like the 100% slides.

Very lucky indeed! I would love to build something like that when I get my cap, but there is no way that they wife and I can fit in there comfortably. I can fit by myself if I sleep diagonally across the bed and a little bit crunched.

I think your platform and storage space came out nice. That looks like it was a fun build!

Ric

Adventurer
1leglance said:
did you build the boxes and then figure out what fits or lay out your stuff to design the size of the boxes???
I am stuck right now trying to figure out how to design and setup a rear storage area...
thanks and looks great!

well a little of both, I use to carry a blue Rubbernaid box, with stuff that I may need on the trail, that was when all I did was day trips, so we made sure that all that stuff would fit and then some.
Now Im into the expedition stuff, been wanting to do 2-3 day trips, adn the box holds more than a thought. With more storage under the sleeping platform, I bought a tote that fits there.

A swing-out tire carrier would take care of your spare and free up a lot of room!!! Something to think about...
yeppers, thats next year, cant wait, lol

Thankx for all the compliments all.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I built my platform by trial and error. Essentially I started with the idea that I wanted to carry a full size spare, and have space for several 8 gallon Rubbermaid boxes. Since these are both about 9" thick, nominal 10" pine boards worked well as the vertical supports.

I use good quality 1/2" plywood as the top. 3/4" is stiff enough to span the roughly 4' between supports, but is much heavier. But 1/2" combined with 5 boards is stiff enough. I use 2' wide panels rather than one 4' for ease of handling.

The next business was how to join the sides and top. I looked into angle brackets and such, but ended up using slotted steel and 1/4" hardware.

The initial length of 4' was determined by the ready availability of boards and steel in this length. It was accidental that length and position of the platform was just right to be used in conjunction with the lowered front seat backs.

In a much later step I realized that with the platform in place, I did not have easy access to the original compact spare tire well. So I made a replacement cover for the well, and filled the well with recovery gear.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online