My cap : Aesthetics vs Practicality -- {W1T0UT}

st34lth

All,

I am in need of an objective viewpoint on my truck and its cap. First, some background - the truck is the family RSV (or recreation support vehicle) supporting all of our camping, towing and general fun having. Its usually towing around our RZR, the quads, dirtbikes or a combination thereof.

I've tried a few different configurations with a sleek cap, an ARE DCU and finally capless.

Your thoughts?

XtcVmO0.jpg

A7VtzgO.jpg

EVdpYaM.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-08-23 19.45.03.jpg
    2013-08-23 19.45.03.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

TRDFAN

Adventurer
DCU. You'll be hard pressed to find a more functional cap. Tool storage and a great place to sleep.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That cap is perfect! Just go buy a Fantastic Fan from a RV dealer and put that in the roof. You can get one that will pull air in, or push it out. It will make sleeping etc a pleasure.

TRDFAN

Adventurer
^this. The cap will easily sleep two people. I had a drawer system in mine that gave me a flat surface above the wheel wells. A double bed blow up mattress fills the entire bed perfectly. Works great!

Jonstoy

I also have a question as this is almost the exact same issue i am having, i don't know whether to go with a truck cap or something else. With the tool boxes on the DCU can you still sleep two people side by side in the box of the truck. Secondly did your MPG improve with the DCU on your truck, i know with my dads old cap off of his 1985 ford my superduty picked up 3 extra MPG on the highway.

st34lth

I also have a question as this is almost the exact same issue i am having, i don't know whether to go with a truck cap or something else. With the tool boxes on the DCU can you still sleep two people side by side in the box of the truck. Secondly did your MPG improve with the DCU on your truck, i know with my dads old cap off of his 1985 ford my superduty picked up 3 extra MPG on the highway.

See, I dont imagine its possible to sleep two people WITH the tool boxes on the DCU but I could be wrong. You are basically talking about the space between the wheel wells of the bed, perhaps a little less, available for sleeping. Less than a twin mattress if my measurements are right.

As for the mpg - mine went the other way around. I lost 1.5-2 MPG with the cap that I attribute to the weight.

RedF

Adventurer
A fullsize truck has at least 4' between the wheel wells. 4' wide is enough to sleep two (average, not large) people. I do essentially the same thing in a Ford Ranger; two of us sleeping on a 4' x 6' platform.

That looks like a great setup to me!

Woofwagon

Adventurer
That is a perfect cap for what you need. I"m not big on aesthetics, leave that to the stylists and hair dressers. The stuff I build wouldn't be out of place on a Soviet era main battle tank. I believe designs for expo vehicles should be simple, strong and able to fix with a stick and a rock. I wish it wasn't so hard to get KRaZ or Kamaz trucks here, that would make an awesome expo rig.

flylow4500

Observer
I say let the truck carry gear and the trailer be your home. Here is a 12' +4' V nose with two bunks, plenty of storage ARB fridge and room for more junk. :)

Zw

st34lth

flylow4500 - got any more pics of the trailer? I really like it. The issue we always have towing is the lack of clearance when pulling into typical campsites with the utv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles