my camper/truck dilemma

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We recently bought a slightly heavier TC800 (our 6th camper since 2020) and debating on "upgrading" to an HDPP optioned F150 or step up to an F250. Our truck is a 2013 Lariat supercrew EB with 6.5ft bed and tow package. I have already added Bilstein 5100's, rear sway bar, LRE KO2's, brake upgrade, and Timbren SES. Camper is a 2019 Northstar TC800 with a wet weight of 1865 pounds, drove to northern Montana last month to pick it up and handled it fine. My dilemma lies mostly in the fact that our truck only has 89k miles, and already has many of the HDPP upgrades. And then there is the fact that I searched over 3 months to find our truck at the end of 2019 and was exactly what we wanted, two-tone Lariats are very rare. I have tracked down a 2016 Lariat HDPP with 102k miles and a 2018 XLT HDPP with 108k miles, both are boring monotone ingot silver and were originally sold to Canadian buyers. I realize the HDPP has 3.73 gears and the frame is .01" thicker, but beyond that there is no difference, it doesn't have bigger brakes or anything else that makes it necessarily "safer". All we ever tow is our 17.5ft boat or small side by side. If I go the F250 route it would be a 2011 or newer with the 6.2 gas engine and of course would look for a two-tone Lariat. Am I overthinking this and should just keep my truck, or upgrade to the F250 and live with the crappy ride quality? Pic for reference of ours with the camper.318081555_8256756781065630_7728897426073507250_n.jpg

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I think that you have a tough decision on your hands, but think you'd be happy with the f250. I honestly felt that my 2005 f250 rode better than my 2016 f150 (similar spec to your lariat). It was stiffer, but not more jarring, just more planted, especially when there was some weight on the back.

Even with the hdpp, I think you'd have a much more reliable platform that would be much more within normal operating parameters with the super duty. There are a lot of compromises on the half ton for "comfort". I know I'd pay good money to swap a similar front hub situation to the super duties and get rid of my iwe's for example!

That 6.2 is a thirsty engine, but well proven at this point. I don't have experience, but have heard that the 7.3 actually gets better fuel economy.

GeorgeHayduke

Either make the current truck work or go F250, sounds like you won't gain enough by going to a HDPP F150 to justify the hassle. F250 will have full float axles, stronger brakes, frame, transmission, transfer case, etc. Will also probably get the same MPG as the F150 when running with the camper on. The 6.2 is a well regarded engine and I agree with @givemethewillys that I actually prefer the ride of an HD truck.

Also, 6 campers since 2020! I thought I went through a lot having had 3 since then...

ExpoMike

I replied on your FB post about this. I highly recommend you go get the truck/camper weighed, then remove the camper and weigh again. Get the REAL weight of the camper then go from there. I weighed my truck before our TC800 camper and after, so I know the weight tag on the camper is total BS (as ALL of them are). With my 2000 Ram 2500, I am at max GVWR with a previous owner built flatbed, which is 850 lbs (I weighed it with and without the flatbed). Now I am looking to buy an aluminum flatbed, which weighs in at 325 lbs. That will give me 500 lbs back, to help offset the gear weight.

Get some real numbers on your camper weight before making any decisions on a truck. Ideally load up all your gear, fluids, people, etc and get it weighed, the pull the camper off and weigh again. You are going to be VERY surprised. A F250 might not be enough.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If its just you and one other person? Truck camper works great. Make the current rig work. If its growing family? Yeah I went down that rabbit hole a few yrs ago. Several elder neighbors have really nice truck/camper rigs. They all were really awesome letting us do basic tests to see if it would work.
The FWCwas great but we could tell no way with growing kids. The giant Lance on Duelie Dodge 3500 monster rig was crazy cool but we could see it still having negatives for growing family and how much we could realistically use it. In the end we decided our trip style and space trailers were the best option for us.

If it were just me and or two up he’lls yes medium weight camper on either the heavy payload 150 or F250 super perfect rig.

tacollie

Glamper
I say either keep your truck or get F-250. Honestly if you feel safe and confident in your truck I would just keep it. If you were shopping for a truck I would tell you to get the F250.

The HDPP F-150 of that era has some weird things like seven lug wheels. Not really worth it imo.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I think that you have a tough decision on your hands, but think you'd be happy with the f250. I honestly felt that my 2005 f250 rode better than my 2016 f150 (similar spec to your lariat). It was stiffer, but not more jarring, just more planted, especially when there was some weight on the back.

Even with the hdpp, I think you'd have a much more reliable platform that would be much more within normal operating parameters with the super duty. There are a lot of compromises on the half ton for "comfort". I know I'd pay good money to swap a similar front hub situation to the super duties and get rid of my iwe's for example!

That 6.2 is a thirsty engine, but well proven at this point. I don't have experience, but have heard that the 7.3 actually gets better fuel economy.

The 6.2 is very reliable, empty the f150 gets better mpg but both average about the same towing.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Either make the current truck work or go F250, sounds like you won't gain enough by going to a HDPP F150 to justify the hassle. F250 will have full float axles, stronger brakes, frame, transmission, transfer case, etc. Will also probably get the same MPG as the F150 when running with the camper on. The 6.2 is a well regarded engine and I agree with @givemethewillys that I actually prefer the ride of an HD truck.

Also, 6 campers since 2020! I thought I went through a lot having had 3 since then...

Growing pains and trying to figure out the "right fit", owned a Sunlite hard side, Six Pac hard side, 1984 Texson popup, Outfitter popup originally designed for an S10, Hallmark popup, Outfitter Caribou 6.5, and now the Northstar. Ugh, that's 7 campers!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I say either keep your truck or get F-250. Honestly if you feel safe and confident in your truck I would just keep it. If you were shopping for a truck I would tell you to get the F250.

The HDPP F-150 of that era has some weird things like seven lug wheels. Not really worth it imo.

The 2010-2014 HDPP had weird 7 lug, 2015-current have 6 lug.

ramblinChet

My apologies in advance if any of this sounds harsh - that is not my intent. This is a simple math problem.
  • estimate your total load within 5-10% and be sure to include people, fluids, etc.
  • select a truck with 175-200% of your estimated payload
In the past I have provided detailed explanations regarding payload and it's relation to handling, braking and cooling systems, etc., but no one really wants to go there. If they do, they most likely face the fact that everything they have done has been incorrect.

My truck was specified as having a stock curb weight of 6,471 pounds and payload of 4,529. With an AEV Prospector and FWC Grandby shell upgrade plus an assortment of supplies, she scaled at 8,660 pounds. With 2,200 pounds of payload I am right in the sweet spot and my truck drives and handles like a dream. No need for hack jobs like air bags or add-a-leafs, aftermarket anti-sway bars or worse yet, springs and shocks from some company with five people on staff, lol.

As a man, it is my duty to protect and provide - my family trusts me to make the right decisions, not excuses.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My apologies in advance if any of this sounds harsh - that is not my intent. This is a simple math problem.
  • estimate your total load within 5-10% and be sure to include people, fluids, etc.
  • select a truck with 175-200% of your estimated payload
In the past I have provided detailed explanations regarding payload and it's relation to handling, braking and cooling systems, etc., but no one really wants to go there. If they do, they most likely face the fact that everything they have done has been incorrect.

My truck was specified as having a stock curb weight of 6,471 pounds and payload of 4,529. With an AEV Prospector and FWC Grandby shell upgrade plus an assortment of supplies, she scaled at 8,660 pounds. With 2,200 pounds of payload I am right in the sweet spot and my truck drives and handles like a dream. No need for hack jobs like air bags or add-a-leafs, aftermarket anti-sway bars or worse yet, springs and shocks from some company with five people on staff, lol.

As a man, it is my duty to protect and provide - my family trusts me to make the right decisions, not excuses.

Very true
Lots of people also don’t realize that reliability typically goes into the toilet with aftermarket stuff bolted on. Even Toyotas that see DEALER service have had reliability issues for folks doing big trips due to trash dealer work.

So many people even here speak of Toyota’s like they are magic regarding zero issues, yet the bolt on trend is like a ADD hobby for night time busy work in the garage ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior