My best trip FROM the hospital report:

Explorer
Those of you that read, My best trip to the hospital report, might recall how I turned a trip to the hospital into a little more fun by leaving 8 days early and exploring the dirt roads from Montana to Moab with my 3 year old girl Lexie.

This is a sequel to that adventure and different because this one actually started from the hospital. It wasn't meant to be that way, but sometimes life takes a bad turn and your left with a decision, turns out I made the right one but this is how it all started....

Christmas day:

Things are going well for me and my little girl, she is happy, healthy, and basking in the holiday ambiance. I'm thinking ahead to the next morning, hoping I have all my ducks in a row for the early departure to Death Valley. Later I have to drop my girl off with the ex-wife and her family so she can hang out until I pick her up at about 5:00am and head South.

I call my travel partner and explain that all systems are go, then start my final packing which lasts until about 11p.m. What happens next is one of the most horrible feelings I've ever felt... My phone rings and all I can hear is the ex-wife sobbing and screaming hysterically in the background, the voice on the phone is my daughters aunt and she is telling me that Lexie isn't breathing her lips are blue.

Those words hit like a gun shot to the chest, I said call 9-1-1, and do CPR. She said they called but didn't know how to do CPR, I was already in my truck and bouncing off the rev limiter before I knew it, luckily the streets were clear because I was certainly exceeding 80mph through parts of town and doing everything I could to close the 5 mile gap to my daughter. All I could see was the image of her, the rest was a blur of lights. The trucks engine was screaming, its tires growling as it frantically tried to hold the slick corners. I felt surreal and calm as I changed gears and feathered the clutch, I remember feeling guilty that I could keep my composure during this and then I was there, bailing out of an almost stopped truck and scrambling to the house.

The first thing I heard after charging through the door was my daughter crying away. Thank you God, that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard. A couple minutes later the paramedics arrived and checked things out. They said it was probably a febrile seizure so we took her to the hospital to get her checked out.

They start doing urine and blood work and shoot her up with antibiotics, this isn't the first time the mystery infection has bit her, just the hardest. After awhile she starts feeling much better and her temps come down. I'm a little shocked that she has had another spell because things have been great for quite sometime. The previous trip TO the hospital in Salt Lake had offered great encouragement and a new medicine that had been working wonders. They did say this could happen however, and the next step would be surgery, but surgery would have to wait until the infection had cleared.

So now I'm sitting in the hospital on the eve of what was to be a great escape from the cold Montana winter. By all accounts the trip was off right? Who would leave with a kid this sick and who would let somebody take their kid in this condition? I was in a conundrum, I can't leave my kid, I can't take my kid, the trip is a bust... I better call my friend and break the news.

Screw that I thought, I'll just take her with me. I'll head South and If her condition starts failing, I'll take her to the nearest hospital. If her condition remains iffy, I'll stay out of the park and take her to a hospital. If we are in the wilderness will figure it out. Before you declare me insane you must know that I had an ace in the hole. My pal is a paramedic and would do anything for a friend in need without hesitation. Knowing he would have a separate and reliable rig along with medical knowledge (his wife is a doctor), allowed me to come to this decision. There is no way I would have ventured on without knowing somebody would be there to help get my girl to help if she needed it.

Now I just had to get the doctor and my ex-wife on board with this beautiful plan.... Oh no they said, not a chance. You can't take a girl camping by yourself in this condition, she can go home with you, but please don't consider a trip to death valley. I explained that I would be accompanied by a paramedic and a doctor (the doctor part was a little white lie, she wanted to come but couldn't because of work), the ER doctor skeptically raised his brow and defensively stated, "who's the doctor?" I told him. "In that case go for it!" he said impressed. A few more reassuring lies later to the ex and we were off to go meet Wardrow.

I wasn't sure how my friend would take the recent events and the prospect of heading South with a sick child, but he smiled and said lets do it, and that was that.

The nice thing about a regular cab Tacoma is that Lexie gets to sit right next to me. I could watch her every breath, take her temp and administer meds on the fly. It was really quite simple, every 30 minutes take her temp, every 4 hrs give her tylenol, and every 6 hrs motrin until the fever subsided. Antibiotic 1 was given 3 times a day, antibiotic 2 happened twice a day. Keep her hydrated and eating and everything should be fine. The reality was, I was worried sick.

I don't remember much about the drive down other than pushing the nearest hospital button on my GPS for some kind of reassurance. Lexie slept most the way and I chattered with Wardrow a bit on the radio. One thing about planning a trip right after Christmas is that its very hard to finalize the logistics of it while managing all the shopping and family plans. Normally I'm a great procrastinater that rallies at the end, but this was beyond me. I knew about where the park was and that was it.

We ended up about 150 miles outside the park that night. Lexie was still pushing a fever and tired. My paramedic friend reassured me that he would be ready to evacuate us if needed. Despite the long drive I couldn't sleep, I couldn't take my eyes of this girl. I would just think about how she was doing great one minute then almost comatose with a 106 fever the next. Eventually the sun came up and Lexie woke with a smile! I could tell she was on the road to recovery and she was ecstatic about waking up in the desert. I knew at this point I had made the right decision.
DeathValley2010011.jpg

The entrance into Death Valley is not what I had expected. I assumed that a park in California would be full of rangers signs and visitor centers. We actually drove by the ticket kiosk thinking it couldn't possibly be an official entrance to the park! We got it figured out and soon we were shedding clothes and basking in the sweet December heat.
DeathValley2010055.jpg

DeathValley2010054.jpg

After entering the park from the East we headed North and camped early to enjoy the drastic change of weather we had experienced in 24hrs. I was thrilled that the park seemed undeveloped and uncrowded. Lexie drove her little RC car in the sand while my friend cooked and I relaxed.

The next day we found ourselves in great spirits as we headed for the Northern border of the park. We ended up taking a few wrong turns that lead to dead ends, which I've found translates into the right scenery and lots of fun.
DeathValley2010025.jpg

DeathValley2010030.jpg

DeathValley2010028.jpg

DeathValley2010029.jpg

DeathValley2010068.jpg

DeathValley2010061.jpg

DeathValley2010031.jpg

That last one is looking down on the Eureka sand dunes were we later had a nice hike. A woman walked up to us while we were having a snack and motioned to My friends jeep and in a most comical English accent said, "Well that's a bit dir-ty rugged isn't it!" Dirty rugged became the theme for the next few days as we explored rugged ridges and dirty valleys

Last edited:

Explorer
By day three Lexie was unstoppable and my fears had been buried in Joy. We were lovin it and everything was good. We went deeper into the park and the rewards kept piling up.

DeathValley2010096.jpg

DeathValley2010093.jpg

DeathValley2010034.jpg

DeathValley2010065.jpg

We found a nice little hot spring and soaked that night before eating lobster off the tail gate under the stars.

DeathValley2010021.jpg

The land here just keeps leaving clues that compel you to keep looking for more

DeathValley2010121.jpg

DeathValley2010124.jpg

DeathValley2010127.jpg

DeathValley2010101.jpg

DeathValley2010060.jpg

DeathValley2010137.jpg

The previous two weeks had dumped tons of rain, leaving us to wonder if we could get to Saratoga springs. This crossing was no problem but at the next one we found a Ranger stuck in the middle of it. We hooked my tacoma and the jeep to it but it was so sucked into the sand it wouldn't budge. I convinced the park ranger that if we could hi-lift the back up it would break the suction and thankfully I was right. He was much appreciative of the help and for me showing him how a Hi-lift worked.
DeathValley2010138.jpg

We didn't try to cross and make it to the springs, it turned out to be a misadventure. One of three misadventures that led to the rescue of others.

The next one was trying to cross a pass and hitting the snow line. We were getting reports that there was a storm coming in and it was going to be dropping loads of snow. I thought we could make it over the top and then seek lower elevation. I should have turned back, but before I did I noticed two people walking down the icy road in front of me! They had gotten their truck stuck and were walking down the road looking for help. We got them winched out and on their way, but had we not I fear it would have been a horrible night for the ill prepared couple. The winds that night were biblical.

At some point in the adventure, day 4 or 5? I gathered cell coverage and a flood of voice mail. Most of it was repeated frantic messages from the ER doctor and my Ex saying the antibiotic they prescribed was wrong and that I must seek medical attention ASAP because they had discovered she has a blood infection. My daughter was not in agreement to this theory, as she was all smiles. I couldn't call out because of reception, so we headed to the gas station at Panamont Springs. I called the doc, he wasn't there so I fed the pay phone fist fulls of quarters waiting for somebody on the other end to figure out what antibiotic I needed. Okay, so now we're headed to Las Vegas to pick up a new prescription.

Lets check out the hoover dam and Grand canyon on our way back to Montana, to be continued......

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Holy crap you are insane,
and your buddy is twice that for going along on your manic episode.
Flat out I can't type what I would really like to and if we were face to face it would be all I could do not to fly off the handle at how wrong, wrong, wrong you were to do this trip with your daughter as flat out unprepared as you were.

I saw no mention of an bag-valve-mask with you or your paramedic buddy yet your daughter just went through a respiratory failure episode that almost killed her.

No mention of a SPOT satellite messenger or Sat phone, just your plan to drive to a hospital...3min without oxygen and you risk brain injury and then death. Your paramedic buddy and try all the cpr mask breathing he wants but if you are doing that then you are not driving as it is a 2 person thing.

I did not read your other thread do know the underlying medical condition of your daughter but you mention surgery as the next option, so how would you deal with that in the field.

You lied to the Dr, you know you lied and flat out if I was working there (I am an ICU RN) I would report you to child protective services.

It also sounds like you didn't give your paramedic buddy a heads up you were coming with your daughter after all or what just happened at the hospital until you saw him there...so how was he supposed to prepare or do anything but agree. Well in reality I would have told you no way in hades, but maybe knowing that you would have lied to me about what happened after all.

You mention waiting a few days to check cell reception and then find they gave her the wrong antibiotic....perfect example of how insane things could have gotten. She could have had a reaction (many times don't show for 24-48hrs) and you have exactly what meds/plan to deal with that?

Does your buddy care IV supplies?

What is your level of medical training?

Dude I am an ICU RN and I have seen how bad things can go in a huge urban hospital with all the help in the world. You have a major medical emergency that turns your daughters lips blue, they give her meds and then you go out into the backcountry....insane, selfish and wrong.

I am doing my best not to make this a post that gets deleted, but I will give up my mod status to go on record to say that what you did what a huge mistake.

Explorer
Holy crap you are insane,
and your buddy is twice that for going along on your manic episode.
Flat out I can't type what I would really like to and if we were face to face it would be all I could do not to fly off the handle at how wrong, wrong, wrong you were to do this trip with your daughter as flat out unprepared as you were.

You could be right about me, but not my buddy he is for sure very sane.

I saw no mention of an bag-valve-mask with you or your paramedic buddy yet your daughter just went through a respiratory failure episode that almost killed her.

I do carry a bag-valve-mask, I've never had to use it but I did get certified with it before one of many hospital discharges. I really wasn't too worried about it because she doesn't have a respiratory or lung problem. The low oxygen event was from a seizure due to a high fever. I felt confident with the array of meds I had, that I could monitor her temps for the trip South and head to the nearest hospital if it started to go high grade.

No mention of a SPOT satellite messenger or Sat phone, just your plan to drive to a hospital...3min without oxygen and you risk brain injury and then death. Your paramedic buddy and try all the cpr mask breathing he wants but if you are doing that then you are not driving as it is a 2 person thing.

I figured one could do it while the other drove, but again I wasn't going anywhere remote if her fevers were high and the risk was present. You are correct about no spot or sat phone, that is pretty stupid on my part, I'll fix that as soon as I can.

I did not read your other thread do know the underlying medical condition of your daughter but you mention surgery as the next option, so how would you deal with that in the field.

She has a heart and kidney problem from pphn at birth, The two surgeries she needed are not considered emergency, so she is on a waiting list. It turns out that those things along with improperly prescribed meds from said hospital led to an abscess infection in her kidneys that would go hidden and then randomly burst. I had repeatedly taken her to the hospital when she was mildly sick and they would say, she is ok, we don't see anything, it must be a little virus. Then she would get a high grade fever and go comatose and then the labs would wrongly show a kidney infection. They would prescribe antibiotics and she would get better for a couple weeks until it would all repeat. Like I said, the trip South was either going to be towards a more competent hospital, or it was going to become a great trip. It all depended on what condition her condition was in.

You lied to the Dr, you know you lied and flat out if I was working there (I am an ICU RN) I would report you to child protective services.

I did lie, but I would never lie to a doctor I respected. Had he been honest with me he would have said he didn't understand what was going on and referred me to another doctor or facility. He toted the party line of that hospital where a doctor sees 30-40 patients a day and gets people through the billing cycle. This is by no means a good hospital we we're at. In fact the last imaging they did, (a VCUG) about 8 months ago nearly led to my daughters death. They sedated her to insert a catheter but gave her the wrong dose of a sedative that isn't reversible. I interrupted the two radiologists doing the procedure because I could see her breathing was labored and foam was coming out her mouth. They said they were almost done and that she was fine. I yelled for a nurse but nobody answered, so I had to pull the catheter and and take her to the er room were they had oxygen. Her sp02 reading was 78%!! You being a nurse know that nobody gets sedated without monitors, supervision and a rescue plan right? Needless to say I had zero confidence in the facility I was at.

It also sounds like you didn't give your paramedic buddy a heads up you were coming with your daughter after all or what just happened at the hospital until you saw him there...so how was he supposed to prepare or do anything but agree. Well in reality I would have told you no way in hades, but maybe knowing that you would have lied to me about what happened after all.

He looked at me and said, "Its your daughter, your decision." I said if she gets worse rather than better, I'll get to a hospital and you can finish the trip. That was that.

You mention waiting a few days to check cell reception and then find they gave her the wrong antibiotic....perfect example of how insane things could have gotten. She could have had a reaction (many times don't show for 24-48hrs) and you have exactly what meds/plan to deal with that?

There was a few days we didn't have cell reception, but at that point she was in good health, so I felt comfortable heading into the park. Had she been doing poor I would have not gone to a remote location. It turns out that the new antibiotic he prescribed was actually wrong, they had contamination in the blood sample they took. But that's beside the point your're trying to make.

I appreciate the firestorm, Lance it shows how horribly wrong things can go. Anyone looking for perspective needs to hear that side of the story because things could have gone wrong. I chose to do my thing because I want my girl to live before she dies. I want her to know that she can go someplace where there are no shots, no IV's, and no surgeries. I want her to experience the real world and have something to live for.

She loves the few trips we get to take in between illnesses. it boosts her spirits like nothing else, its the only time she wakes up without asking, "no shots today?"

I don't think there is possibly a level of preparedness I could get to besides a life flight chopper that would offer me the piece and security I would like.

1leglance

Brother at least you are going to get a Spot or Sat Phone...both actually would be smart with the sound of her condition.
Thanks for the extra details....it helps but doesn't change my core belief that THIS trip was a mistake.
I agree travel is a vital part of life otherwise there wouldn't be Disabled Explorers....but I am all about worst case worries.

It does sound like the facility you were at was sub-par....do you carry something like a usb drive with her medical records/scans and such so when you need to hit a place that is new to you they have all the info? If not it would be easy to setup.

Only you know the real deal of what you are dealing with in life....I just call it like I see it from the sidelines.

Explorer
I normally don't take well to flames but in this case the stakes are high and you are certainly more qualified on medical preparedness than I. I appreciate your remarks and will put your suggestions to use. I really like the idea of having all her records on a usb.

1leglance

I normally don't take well to flames but in this case the stakes are high and you are certainly more qualified on medical preparedness than I. I appreciate your remarks and will put your suggestions to use. I really like the idea of having all her records on a usb.

I super duper don't want to come across as flaming you...
more like that guy who would run across the campsite yelling "stop" right before you poured lighter fluid into the soldering fire :)

Strong response...yeah, but because your first post left out some of the details you provided in follow up and because I get so see all the times it goes so so wrong.

It would be an honest pleasure to work one on one on what gear you need, and anything I can provide I will from my stock of goodies (you have an ambu bag but I have more).

The Spot & Sat phone can both be rented on the web if you can't pay for one right now.

Now tell us more of the story and put up the pics, it worked out this time so let us enjoy it with you.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I am a therapist that works with disabled kids in public schools. I am also disabled myself. After reading your post and Lance’s reply I was torn. I understand why you took your daughter on this trip but I also understand Lance’s point. I think it is great that you take your daughter out on these trips when you can, most parents wouldn’t take a medically fragile child out on an adventure like that. I also think it was a poor time to do it- fresh out of the hospital and as far I could tell in your post, no definitive reason for her high temp and stoppage of breathing. I am glad you and you daughter had a great trip. I just think it was poor judgment. Anything could of happened especially after all of the bad experiences you had with this same facility, how could you trust that they didn’t miss a more serious problem that could have caused a problem later.

I do work with kids that have brain damage from being without oxygen for only a couple minutes. These kids will have difficulties for the rest of their lives. If it is at all possible that a child may suffer an issue like your daughter did, I think it is your responsibility to keep her as close to qualified help as possible. A paramedic’s job is to keep someone stable until they can get to a hospital, not take the place of the doctor, all the equipment and meds that an ER has available.

If she was healthy for several days in a row and the doc said all looked good then by all means head out and have fun.

That’s just my opinion; it drives me crazy every time I work with a kid with a disability that was preventable…

Keyblazer

Adventurer
I am sorry to say that I think you are a selfish, arrogant man.
You are not fit to be in charge of a 3 year old child, let alone one that nearly died such a short time before.
You really need to have the child removed from your care until your brain is better.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the ex-wife saga, and am a huge supporter of "Fathers Rights", but in this case I would support having the child removed from your care.
You are a disgrace to the word Father.
Actions like yours, do damage to the rest of us.

Your daughter deserves a better more caring Father figure.
Proof of the pudding is posting this saga, and even worse, pictures of your Daughter online....

I would love to ask "What are you thinking?', but I think you already proved you are not...

Please, Delete this thread, and go and get some help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior