My attempt at a Pop-up........It begins....

lindy74

haven't posted in a while, but got some great use out of this. Have updated with forced heat(the best upgrade so far!) Also added a formal rod carrier.

Attachments

• 20181001_174938.jpg
    20181001_174938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 274
  • 20200721_120349.jpg
    20200721_120349.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 276
  • 20200721_120403.jpg
    20200721_120403.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 267

Styx2015

Reviving this thread, but I’ve got a question on your aluminum siding. We are going a similar route on a FWC rebuild with 1/16” 5052 aluminum sheet. When you cut the panels, did you have them run flush up to the edge of the frame where one panel meets another on an edge corner. For example where the side panel meets the rear panel. Or did you leave some gap to allow for expansion/contraction as well as flex when off-roading to prevent the panels from contacting eachother and buckling.

lindy74

Reviving this thread, but I’ve got a question on your aluminum siding. We are going a similar route on a FWC rebuild with 1/16” 5052 aluminum sheet. When you cut the panels, did you have them run flush up to the edge of the frame where one panel meets another on an edge corner. For example where the side panel meets the rear panel. Or did you leave some gap to allow for expansion/contraction as well as flex when off-roading to prevent the panels from contacting eachother and buckling.
Hey there, I actually left a small gap, and covered it with the corner angle trim. Maybe about 1/8-1/4 inch between sheets.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Very cool build, not sure how I missed this one the first time around. How are those gas struts holding up, especially the ones mounted on the front of the camper?

Thanks
-Chris

ITTOG

Why not weld the corners so you are guaranteed to not have any leaks? Do you think there will be too much expansion/contraction?

Hey there, I actually left a small gap, and covered it with the corner angle trim. Maybe about 1/8-1/4 inch between sheets.
I really like the color you selected. It looks really nice.

How do you like the aluminum siding? ? Do you have any buckling or indentions between the aluminum framing? I am building a camper now, link in my signature, and have been thinking about using an aluminum composite material. It is polyethylene sandwiched by aluminum and is 3mm thick. I am planning on using it because I am afraid just straight aluminum won't look good.

I am also planning to use the VHB tape. Have you had any of it come loose, that you know of?

lindy74

Very cool build, not sure how I missed this one the first time around. How are those gas struts holding up, especially the ones mounted on the front of the camper?

Thanks
-Chris
The gas struts have gone through quite the evolution. I started with 40's i think, then went to 50's and am now currently on 60's. granted I added more stuff to the roof. I had purchased a River Quiver 4 rod carrier that I mounted up top and could not for the life of me raise it alone. I since moved it to the side below the roofline and left the 60's on. I can raise it no problem as well as put it down with very little fight pulling the lighter side down. The struts have maintained their lift no problem as well, no leaks or noticeable changes.

lindy74

Why not weld the corners so you are guaranteed to not have any leaks? Do you think there will be too much expansion/contraction?

I really like the color you selected. It looks really nice.

How do you like the aluminum siding? ? Do you have any buckling or indentions between the aluminum framing? I am building a camper now, link in my signature, and have been thinking about using an aluminum composite material. It is polyethylene sandwiched by aluminum and is 3mm thick. I am planning on using it because I am afraid just straight aluminum won't look good.

I am also planning to use the VHB tape. Have you had any of it come loose, that you know of?
The siding has held up exceptionally well. Its taken some 105+ weeks on end, as well as some sub 20's and hasn't buckled or even shown a sign of buckling. The tape is as they all said it would be, you will need an air chisel to remove it. when you look down the side you can barely see where it is held in place on long runs, but zero warping ripples or anything.

lindy74

This is who I got the siding from, in case I didnt post it in my build.

slepe67

haven't posted in a while, but got some great use out of this. Have updated with forced heat(the best upgrade so far!) Also added a formal rod carrier.

1. Very impressive build!
2. I've been struggling to figure out how to secure my Rod Vault to a truck camper. How did you do it?

lindy74

2. I've been struggling to figure out how to secure my Rod Vault to a truck camper. How did you do it?
So I ended up drilling through the top part of the camper, below the liner and bolted it on that way. sealing the space with large rubber block spacers and sealant. Its been bulletproof so far.

Ill post closeup pics20210322_132804.jpg20210322_132832.jpg20210322_132846.jpg

Last edited:

lindy74

I also originally put the rod carrier on the roof. This didn't work well for 2 reasons. Even after putting 60# struts on the right side with the carrier, it was a ********** lift by myself. Second, if it as popped up and we were camping within walking distance to fishing it was a ********** to access the carrier, doable, but a pain in the ass. Since mounting it this way its been pretty good, other than the fact the carrier is not water tight and you have to leave it open after you get back from a trip to air dry. Water seems to find more ways in when mounted sideways. It might be different than the Rodvault brand though.

slepe67

I also originally put the rod carrier on the roof. This didn't work well for 2 reasons. Even after putting 60# struts on the right side with the carrier, it was a ********** lift by myself. Second, if it as popped up and we were camping within walking distance to fishing it was a ********** to access the carrier, doable, but a pain in the ass. Since mounting it this way its been pretty good, other than the fact the carrier is not water tight and you have to leave it open after you get back from a trip to air dry. Water seems to find more ways in when mounted sideways. It might be different than the Rodvault brand though.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I think 82/20 aluminum could be one of the greatest inventions of our time!

I was thinking about mounting the rod vault to the ceiling inside (and how hokey THAT would look). I probably never would've thought of using the jack brackets to mount the rods. Your setup is clean, secure, out of the way and simple. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles