My Aluminum Expo Trailer Build #2

dmc1

Adventurer
After repurposing my first aluminum trailer for kayaking I needed another one for my beach trips. Now it is time to do another one. Pics to come as I make progress.

Here is the link to the first trailer.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/135926-Aluminum-Expo-Trailer-Build

Pics of where I started on this build.

I wanted a smaller trailer this time. I started off with a new 2017 Aluma 486 which is 4x6 in size. Trailer weighs 280 lbs.

Got to have some new smoothies to match the Jeep! These are the 15x7 version of the ones on my Jeep. After I get the tires mounted, I'll paint them to match.

More to come....

Last edited:

dmc1

Adventurer
Got the trailer lifted after removing the small square fenders. Mounted the wheels to see what it looks like and now I'm waiting on the new fenders to show up so I can mount them. I will then make the reverse tongue like I did on my other trailer. So far it is shaping up.

dmc1

Adventurer
Made some progress. Got the wheels painted and mounted. Got the tongue insert made. Started mocking up the fenders. More to come.

dmc1

Adventurer
Got a few things done this weekend. Got the removable tongue completed. Got the fenders mounted. Started to set the box.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Had my eye on that trailer for a while. A dealer close by has them advertised on Craig's List quite often. They also push the 548 which is attractive for the width and stronger axles, more so than the length. I love the gate as it can be re-purposed to a light weight rack platform.

How did you 'lift' the trailer given the torsion axle?

That transverse relief in the box makes for an interesting profile. Is that a 'top mount' style? What was it's original function?

So, is there a plan for this trailer or you going to be adding are needs arise?

dmc1

Adventurer
See responses below inside your post:
If you check out my thread on the Jeep Wrangler forum I have more in-depth details on the trailer. Here is the link:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sc-aluminum-expo-trailer-2-a-1972666.html

Also at the top of this thread there is a thread on this forum for another aluminum trailer I modified to haul my kayaks. It is a Featherlite 5x8 trailer.

Had my eye on that trailer for a while. A dealer close by has them advertised on Craig's List quite often. They also push the 548 which is attractive for the width and stronger axles, more so than the length. I love the gate as it can be re-purposed to a light weight rack platform.

I had the same intention for the tail gate as it will not touch the ground now that the trailer has been lifted and has bigger tires.

How did you 'lift' the trailer given the torsion axle?

The torsion axle is mounted directly to the trailer. I basically made a 2" lift (all that I needed) and remounted the axle. The thread on the Jeep forum goes into detail.

That transverse relief in the box makes for an interesting profile. Is that a 'top mount' style? What was it's original function?

The box is actually a box that mounts on the side of a truck bed. I thought the relief was kinda cool so I brought it home to see if it would fit. It is exactly the same width as the trailer so it looks like it could have come with it. It holds a small jack and my canopy pieces I use on the beach. There is also a tube mounted on the bottom that holds beach umbrellas if I don't want to set up the canopy.

So, is there a plan for this trailer or you going to be adding are needs arise?

The function of this trailer is to get my coolers, bikes and other stuff to the beach. I wanted a small trailer to pull behind the Jeep. I used to take my Featherlight but got tired of removing the yaks and boxes I have mounted on it. I'll add, change, or modify as I need to so I can accommodate whatever trip I'm on. The trailer has been fun and I usually have folks ask where I bought it like it is configured. It also pulls excellent as it is still relatively lightweight.
I will probably buy another one next year with a side kit just to haul stuff.

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Thanks for the link and response. Now I just need to convince the wife that the trailer is for her landscaping profession and the rest is in case of an earthquake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles