my (almost) homemade above-the-spare cargo rack

shu2kill

this is my attempt at making an above the spare cargo rack. I was going to make a rear bumper with tire carrier and cargo rack, as my stock bumper was falling from a small accident. but a rear bumper would take more time than what I have, plus I fixed the stock bumper... so the rear bumper will have to wait... but while I was at it, I thought I could easily make a cargo rack for those light but bulky camping items, such as camping chairs and thermarests.

So today I started. First I got me two pieces of 22" x 4.5", in 3/16". I would have used 1/8 but for that, I would have to purchase the entire 4' x 8' piece.

039b9825-dc27-453b-a436-acb3c2228721.jpg

Fortunately I have access to a 100 ton press brake, so I bent the plates. If i had to do it strictly homemade, i would have welded an angle iron. But since I can use the brake press for free at a friend's shop, I bent the plate.

aba450cf-fed2-4344-9cef-ecdd2dad7d9d.jpg

Then I removed the tire carrier and used it to mark the spots for the holes, which I drilled with a drill press.

924179a9-80e1-436e-b941-00270ba1ff81.jpg

After checking the fitting, i marked the cut for the vent:

1b783791-a819-4660-8fe2-e44b0655d7e4.jpg

Then, using an angle grinder, I cut the plate so it doesnt obstructs the vent

8e2f050d-b970-4f71-ad98-12a6c5fc6f90.jpg

With the top mount ready, making the second one was a breeze:

7e27cccd-cacb-4505-a321-aa4266c9c672.jpg

So far I have spent a couple of hours and $15, including an 10' long 1 1/4 O.D. square tubing for the legs.... I still have not decided how to make the rack itself. I am thinking 1 1/2" round tubing, with a couple of tabs underneath for my aux backup lights.

shu2kill

Another $25 and a couple of hours later, this is what i have.

94bc7308-2961-4dcb-88c5-08030e454b4f.jpg

it is just wide enough to fit a Plano Trunk. I just need to put some tabs for the aux lights, and a water tank mount on one side, and it will be finished.

shu2kill

Thanx Scotty. i dont know how much it weights. it can be handled by one person, i am guessing it weights about the same as a 5 gallon water jug. i would like it to be a bit lighter, but i dont think it is too bad.

I got me a Scepter water tank from Academy, and put a small ball valve on the vent port. Then I made a tray to secure the tank, with the valve towards the jeep. (in this pic the tray is not finished yet)

tan.jpg

tanke.jpg

Since i already have a tailgate table, which i use a lot for cooking, the tank in this place is very convenient, as i can have water without removing the tank from its place.

cocina.jpg

This is the final setup:

finish.jpg

So far, i had no rattles, but i only drove 5 minutes from the shop to my house. Hopefully I can go camping this or next weekend and see how it works.

Great setup. I especially like the touch of adding the ball valve to the water can. Would make it real convenient to use, rather than having to haul the can up and down the rack.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What you've built looks great. One thing you should be careful about though, it looks like you're running the stock tailgate hinges and stock tailgate. Your rack (especially with a full 5 gallons of water) will be putting a lot of stress and leverage on the tailgate and the unreinforced factory tailgate is prone to breaking its spot welds under loads like that. Search google on "JK tailgate broken spot welds" and you'll find lots of info. I'd recommend a tailgate reinforcement and HD tailgate hinges to prevent destroying your tailgate.

utherjorge

Observer
Not to hijack the thread, but did you make that interior tailgate table yourself? I have to do that the next couple of months or so.

shu2kill

What you've built looks great. One thing you should be careful about though, it looks like you're running the stock tailgate hinges and stock tailgate. Your rack (especially with a full 5 gallons of water) will be putting a lot of stress and leverage on the tailgate and the unreinforced factory tailgate is prone to breaking its spot welds under loads like that. Search google on "JK tailgate broken spot welds" and you'll find lots of info. I'd recommend a tailgate reinforcement and HD tailgate hinges to prevent destroying your tailgate.

thanx!! that was one of my concerns. So far, i notice it wiggles a little on bumpy roads. One of my ideas is to make a rear bumper with tire carrier, and leave the rack on the tailgate. Or, I could mve the rack to the tire carrier, removing all the stress from the gate. Another option would be to install HD hinges as you mention. I have yet to test this on dirt roads, but yes, something definitely needs to be done before the gate is damaged.

shu2kill

Not to hijack the thread, but did you make that interior tailgate table yourself? I have to do that the next couple of months or so.

yes, i made the table using plywood, a piano hinge, and a strut to hold it in place. The same strut holds it in the closed position, so no latches or anything, you just pull it and it is deployed, push it and it is stowed. It has no rattles or vibration, as the strut pushes it against the door.

mesa.jpg

mesa2.jpg

Looks great!

thanx!

shu2kill

Great setup. I especially like the touch of adding the ball valve to the water can. Would make it real convenient to use, rather than having to haul the can up and down the rack.

Yes, hauling the can is difficult, specially since the base is made so it fits exactly... i just tried filling the can 3/4 and putting it up there, and it is definitely not easy....

also, i added an air hose coupling to the valve.... this way i can add a hose by just inserting it, and remove it easily for storage.

fit.jpg

This is the flow i get, i was thinking it would be way less...

fit2.jpg

and i got a 7 ft hose, i think that would be long enough for washing hands, dishes, teeth etc not too close to the jeep where i cook. and i had an old camelbak which i no longer used, so i took the valve and remove the piece that you chew to open... .....

hose.jpg

hose valve.jpg

Saev

Observer
Great job, the rack looks awesome buy you need to replace your Factory hinges, I have the teraflex on my jk and it's solid rock

shu2kill

Great job, the rack looks awesome buy you need to replace your Factory hinges, I have the teraflex on my jk and it's solid rock

Thanx. I just made these HD hinges today, Tomorrow I will take them on a dirt road and will see if they pass the test.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I see you made the space "to fit" the water jug, but may I suggest a gasket / dampening material to keep from wearing a hole in that high dollar plastic?

shu2kill

I see you made the space "to fit" the water jug, but may I suggest a gasket / dampening material to keep from wearing a hole in that high dollar plastic?

thanx, i had fogotten about it. you are right, i added a rubber lining in all the parts where the metal contacts the jug. it fits really snug now, but it protects it really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier