My 92 Montero build

barnstormer

Wanderer
So, I recently got this 92 Montero, 3.0L Auto with a spun rod bearing. I took it on as a project because it was a great price and the rest of the truck is very clean and nice, worthy of a rebuild on the engine.
I won't bore you with the engine rebuild details, there are a few excellent threads here already that cover it well. My rebuild went without any drama, just pulled the engine, disassembled it and sent it all out, put it back together and put it back in. It's running pretty well now, apart from a couple things I am working through.

Here is a shot of the truck as I got it (basically).
604565047_o4xx2-L.jpg

Pretty used up 235/75/15's, stock, stock, stock.

My plans:
Tires! Most likely some 31's that I already have, from a previous project.

Probably just crank the t-bars to level it out. I'm not a huge fan of lifting a truck with just 31's, but maybe I'll go with some small spacers or the like to lift it a bit.

Protection- probably a front bumper/winch combo, maybe a rear bumper as well, down the line somewhere.

Communication- A CB, maybe another radio of one kind or another.

Rack- I'm thinking a full length rack, but low and tight against the roofline.

I've always wanted some limb lifter/brush wires on a truck. To me it's one of the things that really makes the look of a cool adventure truck. I may never need them for any real use, but I dig the way they look.
Same with a snorkel. Maybe not required for my use, but I've always wanted one, so.....

I started a thread over on 4x4wire as well, as that's a much more heavily trafficked site for Mitsu stuff, but here at the portal is much more expedition-y, so I think I'll do them both.

More updates as they happen.

Thanks!
Brian

barnstormer

Wanderer
More progress in the last couple days.
After seeing Alex Cogan's install of an ARB from a Jeep Grand Cherokee over on 4x4Wire, and then finding the same bumper near me for a great deal- on it went.

Some mods to the original mounting brackets from ARB, a couple custom spacers, some drilling and a handful of grade 8 bolts later.....

the bumper
608025603_UeeB4-L.jpg

first test fit- needs trimming!

608025706_j7C7E-L.jpg

measure lots of times, cut twice!

608025946_589A2-L.jpg

installed.

608026055_cx37T-L.jpg

Oh, and I got some new tires. Much needed, much better.

Now, I need to find a winch and some other stuff.

Brian

barnstormer

Wanderer
I don't think I took any pics of the brackets. The Montero frame horns are about 1.5 inches narrower than the mounts on the bumper. So, basically I made a bracket that was a total of 3/4" on each side to bolt it together. The brackets themselves were pretty simple, just flat plate with some holes drilled in it. Those plus some more 1/2 plate as spacers and it all went together. I was surprised how easy it was, overall. The truck itself is unchanged, other than a few new holes in the end of the frame horns. The stock bumper would go right back on without drama.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier