My 550 build The "Ford Escape"

java

Expedition Leader
I stopped by the upfitter today. They finally got a start on my box. He's doing a nice job and convinced me to re-skin the whole outside. He's going to add it on right over the existing. There was a few patches I had put on over some tears which will be removed and covered over. My windows weren't sealed yet so that will work out perfectly. Figured if I'm doing all this work might as well make it 100%. Now I'll have to prime that new aluminum before I paint it. Glad I have access to that shop to paint it! It was snowing here today.
Hooray for snow!! Seriously can't wait....

A new exterior will be nice, added skin will be bulletproof. I'm happy mine is 1/8" everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fatboyz

Observer

A new exterior will be nice, added skin will be bulletproof. I'm happy mine is 1/8" everywhere.

I'll have 2 layers of I think 16 gauge over the inner corrugation. Here is a pic of a piece I cut out. He will add another 16 gauge over it.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 164

java

Expedition Leader

I'll have 2 layers of I think 16 gauge over the inner corrugation. Here is a pic of a piece I cut out. He will add another 16 gauge over it.
Wow I haven't seen that construction!

But yes double skin is good. I can't count the trees I have broken branches off of....

Fatboyz

Observer
Wow I haven't seen that construction!

But yes double skin is good. I can't count the trees I have broken branches off of....

The box appears to be a quite old Uhaul. This is all sandwiched into heavy rounded aluminum extrusions in the corners and roof. All aluminum floor too.

Fatboyz

Observer
Upfitter finally got the skin on! Just needs to finish the mounts then do the propane tank and tool box mounts. Steps are going to need to be externally mounted. Without any up size in tires the bottom of the door is 48" off the ground, my wife is only 5' 2"! Papawheely, I'll get better pics of the back in the day light.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 190

Jo_Duval

Observer
that's a really cool project! when we replace the van I will be looking for something similar in size and shape. very cool!

Fatboyz

Observer
Home from the upfitter finally. I had him weld in an aluminum frame in the ceiling for a roof vent. My roof ribs were 1x2 aluminum tubing on 10" centers. I didn't want to compromise my roof strength and wasn't going to put a vent in.He welded in a box for the vent and tied it to the two next ribs. We are having a few days of above freezing weather so I put in the roof vent. I also hung my propane tank. I'm adding an extra skin of aluminum over my RV door to give it some additional strength. It will be painted to match the box. Hopefully have it in to prime and paint the box before Christmas then the windows and door can go back in. Then I'll be able to finally start the inside!!

Fatboyz

Observer
Rebuilt the RV door. I added a new aluminum skin to the lower half and painted it and the frame. Took out the window and repainted the frames. When I paint the box I'm going to paint the door too.

Fatboyz

Observer
Well the box is ready to go for paint. Only issue is it's -24 outside now. I'm going to see if I can make a cash deal to rent a bay in one of the vacant shops here for a month. I'd like to get the box painted, windows and doors back in, insulated and any roof vents/intrusions done while its inside. If I can get this done in the shop I should be able to keep working inside through the winter with an electric heater inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles