My 4x4 Red Cross ERV Build and Adventures

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Lastly update for now, I've been back to working on the interior to try to get this thing ready so I can take it to @motoblot in Chicago June 24-26. I'm bringing a bike to be in the Valhalla Builders Challenge so this is a good deadline to get this thing on the road... not done by any means but certainly much closer...

Here's the corner storage closet and enclosure for the hater water tank, solar controller and DC-DC Charger. My electrical is a little scattered around mostly due to where power was originally at in the box and where I wanted to put some of the stuff I added. All in all I think it'll be fine as long as you know where to look if there's an issue.

KIMG2240.JPGKIMG2247.JPGKIMG2255.JPGKIMG2257.JPGKIMG2259.JPGKIMG2260.JPGKIMG2264.JPGKIMG2267.JPG

I think that's all for now. I've started working on the dinette / more storage cabinets on the passenger side but I'll probably not get that done before I head to Chicago. I sure am looking forward to this things being completely done.

Rebuilder

....on to the dinette and storage cabinets on the passenger side. This is the second rendition, the first was a small RV sofa that folded out into a bed. I used that setup for a few trips before I finished the lift bed in the back but I never really liked it so this is what I came up with for V2. It'll eventually have a table and will convert into a smallish single bed. I wanted to test out the seating position and overall layout before I start on the drawers so this is as far as I've gotten. So far with about 7 nights and a trip to Chicago I'm liking it.

KIMG2268.JPGKIMG2276.JPGKIMG2279.JPGKIMG2280.JPG

Here's the bed platform...
KIMG2296.JPG

....and here's a vid of the lift in action. This is one of the best things I've put in this build. I use the "garage" area all the time and this just makes it so much easier.

I got the dinette roughed in and the bed re-installed right before heading to Chicago for a motorcycle show.

First test fit of the bike. I never really planned on putting a motorcycle inside but this one sorta had to go inside so I added some E-Track for strapping it down.

KIMG2323.JPG

KIMG2328.JPG

All strapped in and ready to go.....

KIMG2337.JPG

Rebuilder

I know this thread is about the Ambo build but... got any photos of the bike?

Here ya go. I built it a few years ago. It's designed after a 1930's Crocker Speedway bike but with a Suzuki Savage engine. Not super practical but it was fun to build.

KIMG2119.JPG

Part of the Valhalla Challenge that the bike was in was a 20 mile ride through Chicago. That was quite an experience :oops:

KIMG2417.JPG

Rebuilder

Here are some more pics of the Chicago trip...

Since I was heading from Minneapolis to Chicago I decided to follow the Mississippi River South and then head East somewhere in Southern Wisconsin.

This is Lake Pepin in Lake City MN. AKA the "birthplace of waterskiing"

KIMG2342.JPG

Lake Pepin.JPG

I ended up staying at an overlook South of LaCrosse.

KIMG2361.JPG

KIMG2363.JPG

KIMG2366.JPG

It did not disappoint.....

KIMG2373.JPG

While in Chicago I got to do some urban camping right at the Cobra Lounge. It was surprisingly quiet....

KIMG2392.JPG

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Hey I was going to ask this in a text but figured others would be interested.
Now that it's hot out and you have had some time to put it through the paces how is the 12v AC working out?

Rebuilder

Hey I was going to ask this in a text but figured others would be interested.
Now that it's hot out and you have had some time to put it through the paces how is the 12v AC working out?

Not great while driving but pretty good while parked. I'm finding the unit isn't powerful enough to quickly overcome the heat soaked interior so I'm going to need to run it pretty much nonstop to slowly cool it down. I've been able to run it nonstop while parked but I got an overheated compressor code while running it while I was driving. I'm not sure if that's do to lack of good airflow under the van between the frame rails or something else. There's a fan big fan on the condenser but no fan on the compressor so maybe I'll add one...

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I got the awning installed. It's a Aleko 13' wide x 10' extension self supporting awning with electric extend and retract and LEDs. It's technically for a house but I modified the brackets to fit a little tighter to the camper and will probably reinforce a few things but I don't see any reason it won't hold up..... aside from scraping it off on a tree or something :oops:.

View attachment 726464 View attachment 726465 View attachment 726466 View attachment 726467

If you've got a minute to spare here's a video....

I'm reading your thread from back to front. That awning is sweet! Just so much outside the box thinking in your build so far. I really love your approach and what you've done.

*Edit Ok now I've finished the whole thread as well as your LMTV thread. I don't even know where to begin...the lift bed, the hydronic flooring, the calorifier, the shower, the 4x4 conversion, the insulated window with the custom frame, all the fab work, both motorcycles, I could go on and on. Your skills know no bounds. Hats off to you sir!

One question: what's that black box with the three ports in front of your lithium battery?

Last edited:

Rebuilder

One question: what's that black box with the three ports in front of your lithium battery?

Thank you. That's a radiator to heat the air using the hydronic heater. The flow for cold weather is from the hydronic heater to the water heater then to that radiator then under the water tank to keep it from freezing and then through the floor and back to the heater. In the summer I can bypass everything except the water heater

Rebuilder

I added some new folding entry steps. I was planning on just using a step stool but then I came across these and went for it. Of course they're not made for the door sill I have so I had to modify it but in the end it worked out great.

KIMG2462.JPGKIMG2463.JPGKIMG2464.JPGKIMG2466.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94