My 4x4 Chevy Express van build

pfacdb

Consider going back to an earlier thought of a Chevy Express 3500 at Boulder Offroad Vans, especially if you want to stick with the Chevy. They do all vans, but seems really specialize in Chevy vans. They use Dana 60 axles, not IFS, but with springs upfront and well paired shocks, they ride very well. The AWD Chevy is pretty low to the ground, and AWD. After conversion the lift is probably 6 inches.

Hazelfilms

Small update.
As listed above, I started looking closer at the AWD express. Since last posting here, I have moved from Colorado to North Carolina. This move has forced me to really consider what sort of use the van will get, which is pushing even farther towards the AWD. Current thought, is a good condition AWD passenger, for 10-15k. Then as time and money allow, a small lift for larger tires (no larger than 33") and eventually a manual transfer, so I can lock in 4x4. After that, a few recovery assist items, and some internal work, and we should be good to go. Current time line is looking like early to mid 2016. Can't wait to get some pics up!

kneedragon76

I hate to ask... But why Chevy? I like Chevy motors, I even have one in my Fj40. But Fords seem to be much more common, and you could order a kit from Chris and call it a day.

I picked up a 97 Ford E350 with a 7.3 Diesel and, if everything goes as expected, it should last me a good long time. To the best of my knowledge, GM doesn't have a diesel worth bringing up in the same conversation. My neighbour has a 3500 and he's had to replace the rear diff a couple times, says it'll get stuck on wet grass, and regrets ever buying it.

This is why i chose chevy over ford as a long term ford owner. Chevy 3500 express 15 pass has a longer wheel base where as Ford 15 passenger just stretched out the back of a 12 pass van making int very unstable to tow anything. Also Ford Triton motors are **** and the 5.4 is the biggest motor option unless you want to pay out the nose for a diesel. Chevy offers the 6.0L Vortec and its a powerhouse push rod engine with a ton of aftermarket options since its popular in GM hot rods like the GTO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles