IMG_3297-XL.jpg

IMG_3304-XL.jpg

IMG_3283-XL.jpg

IMG_3272-XL.jpg

IMG_3275-XL.jpg

IMG_3179-XL.jpg

IMG_3273-XL.jpg

IMG_3334-Th.jpg

Outstanding! I'm considering doing something similar with my 2017. Can you share details on lift/tires?

I'm torn on approach to bed rack for RTT. The Leightner is awesome - but I've always had a bed cover and often have stuff in the back that I've found useful to have covered/locked.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Outstanding! I'm considering doing something similar with my 2017. Can you share details on lift/tires?

I'm torn on approach to bed rack for RTT. The Leightner is awesome - but I've always had a bed cover and often have stuff in the back that I've found useful to have covered/locked.

I sympathize. I used some polycarbonate roofing panels, and a couple of 2x4s and half-inch pipe, to enclose the bed of my truck. It keeps wandering hands out, provides a nice basement for the tent on top, and improved my gas mileage from the naked frame+tent by about 15%. The "basement" isn't waterproof, but it is pretty sheltered when not driving. The bedrug is also a wonderful addition - knees no longer hurt, and indeed I've napped on just the bedrug.

LWD601

Nice looking Truck. How are you liking that bed rack? I've been thinking about something like that for my truck. And if I'm not mistaken looks like those pictures are from the eastern sierras?

RBA

Adventurer
Awesome build. How do you like the Tepui?
It's "nice". I had a hard shell James Barroud previously on a different truck so I'm not blown away. I do like the space inside. Its a legitimate 3 person tent. 4 will be real tight with average size guys but I guess we've all come to realize tent sizing. These clamshell designs are about as convenient to setup as a ground tent. As a joke I timed myself with the JB hardshell and this one and it's a noticeable different in convenience. 1 minute 25 seconds for the hardshell JB and just over 7 minutes for this tent. Not a huge deal but I miss the ease of the other tent. The fabric on the Tepui Ruggedized doesn't seem as Heavy Duty as the JB either but perhaps the tent design doesn't lend itself to that type of fabric. It's still fairly thick for a regular tent fabric. The mattress is about the same as the JB. One annoying aspect is the multiple rods you need to use to keep the windows and doors open. It probably takes about a third of the setup time of the tent. I also don't like the openings where the metal posts in the center of the tent expand. Bugs/flys/mosquitos can get through there pretty easily. You really have to take your time and close that area up with a simple flap they provided. Not a bulletproof design. I do like the ladder, a better design then the JB. You also don't need to worry about fiberglass cracking, although that never happened to me. Someone else on this forum had a bad experience with JB customer service. Everyone seems to love Tepui customer service - we will see. I purchased the ruggedized and it's 225lbs. So it's getting close to the limit for certain racks in terms of dynamic weight.

Nice looking Truck. How are you liking that bed rack? I've been thinking about something like that for my truck. And if I'm not mistaken looks like those pictures are from the eastern sierras?
I actually like the bed rack more then I thought I would. This is my first pickup and a daily driver, so I didn't want a contractor vehicle full time. What I discovered is that once the assembly is complete and installed the first time. I can remove it in less then 20 minutes and put it back in about the same amount of time, which is great. Seems very sturdy and I like the finish. No squeaks or rattles.

Correct on the location.

Lift is a leveling kit using Bilstein 5100 shocks and my original springs. I wanted the soft ride that came stock. The 5100 firm up the ride just slightly but provide the 2 inch lift in the front. Fully loaded my rear sits down a bit, which I may address at a later time but I was probably carrying about 500lbs in the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles