My 2016 frontier build and adventure thread!

trasko

Adventurer
Would you say other than the weight factor of your e load tires, is the ride itself still enjoyable or is it pretty harsh? What psi are you running?

Ride is fine. It was better before but still fine. Unsprung weight is no good now matter how you cut it. For acceleration, for ride quality, etc. I won't be doing e-rated again on this truck but I'm in no hurry to ditch them.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Alright guys, decision time. I have decided to purchase a set of grabber atx's. My main deciding factor is general is offering a $100 discount until the end of October. I am still going back and forth on 235/85 or 265/75 though. The only load rating on these tires is E so that does not help me decide. Any more input from you guys would be amazing. Any more pros or cons to these two sizes. Please share your thoughts!!

Jc1986.carter

Alright guys, decision time. I have decided to purchase a set of grabber atx's. My main deciding factor is general is offering a $100 discount until the end of October. I am still going back and forth on 235/85 or 265/75 though. The only load rating on these tires is E so that does not help me decide. Any more input from you guys would be amazing. Any more pros or cons to these two sizes. Please share your thoughts!!

I’ve had both. Both sizes are fine. The 265s will fill the wheel well better, personal preference I guess. There was a noticeable weight difference while driving after going from 235 to 265, I went from cooper at3 in 235 to ko2s in 265 both e load. There was a sluggishness when I drove off from the tire shop, once you get used to it, it’s not to bad. Gas mileage was about the same.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegWell I finally did it! Just got myself a set of 235/85/16 general grabber ATX’s. So naturally I had to spend the weekend breaking them in. I put about 150 on road miles on them and about 30 miles off road. I currently am running them at 40psi and aired down to 25psi off road. First impressions, I love them!! I still want to do a chalk test to make sure I have them at the right pressure for on road, but the tires are amazing so far. Very quiet on road and very smooth. I absolutely love this size. They Look great and driving up in the hills they are very enjoyable. The ease of accelerating breaking and turning is a delight. I would highly recommend this size to anyone. Don’t see any reason to go back to a 265.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

jpat30

Adventurer
The truck is looking fantastic. Question for you; when you went down to the 235s have you noticed a substantial difference in your speedo reading? I'm sure that it is off, but any idea how much? Thanks.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
The difference is negligible. These tires are just a hair taller than the 265/75's they replaced. next time I drive I will watch the gps and speedo and let you know if I can see a difference.

trasko

Adventurer
Thank's for the update. If I can find a good set of 235/85s which are lighter than what I'm currently running I'll probably go that route when it's time.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys! So I was out camping this weekend and discovered that all but one of the rivets in the top channel of my ARB awning have sheared off. The 2 bolts that hold fabric to frame and support seem good, but I’m pretty concerned how this happened? I have used this awning no more than 10 times, I take it off every winter. It’s on all summer and I do light to medium off-roading, nothing crazy. Has anyone else had this problem. Any fixes?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

paulforeman

Haven't had an awning, but when rivets shear off, I usually just replace them with Stainless steel ones since they're stronger than aluminum ones. Just get a rivet gun and throw some new ones in. You can drill the hole out slightly larger if you want to use a larger rivet.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys!! Hope the new year is off to a good start for everyone! So I realized it's been forever since I have updated this. No new major mods for the Fronty, other than using it and exploring. Below are the current mods to date and a couple updated pics. Still love this truck and it has been very reliable! It has been the perfect rig for my daughter and I to get out and explore wonderful Colorado. Hoping to do some larger trips this coming summer!

2016 Nissan Frontier SV CCSB
OME MD springs and shocks front, add-a-leaf and OME shocks rear (would like to update the rear leafs soon to handle more weight)
235-85-16 General Grabber ATX
Leer topper
Window tint
Rear diff breather
Uhaul tow bar, High Country receiver and D ring painted red
front tow hook painted red
plasti dipped front grill and rear emblems
Suitech switch panel
Pro 4-X skid plates
Shrockworks engine skid plate
Rhino Rack Vortex rack system
WeatherTech floor mats front and rear
ARB awning
Midland MXT 275 with a 3db gain ghost antenna mounted with hood mount
cheep single row LED light bar mounted under front grill (will be replacing soon)
F5AC0FAB-53DE-4439-AEF6-AA4A065E90F5_1_201_a.jpeg

19A6766D-6312-4D9B-B722-2E70715C5BE6_1_201_a.jpeg

3EE5A13D-D867-4C97-AF4B-36A625401238_1_201_a.jpeg

0A8981A7-0DA6-4060-BEF7-2AD5CBF50287_1_201_a.jpeg

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Well no turning back now! I decided its time to change things up for 2021! As my daughter is now a bit older and ready for some longer camping trips, its time to get a better family camping set-up dialed in. I am going to sell the topper (so if anyone is interested hit me up)! I've realized that it's either too much space for daily driving or not enough, say when I'm moving larger gear or bikes. Plus the weight is something I would be happy without since this is my daily driver. So I just purchased a set of Billie Bars with the intent to also get a RTT in the near future.

Phase II:
Billie Bars bed rack
RTT (currently looking at Ikamper mini, open to other suggestions)
move current rhino rack bars from topper to cab
rear suspension if needed
tonneau roll up cover
Shrockworks rear bumper (got rear ended last year so might as well upgrade)

let the fun begin! pics to come!

paulforeman

Well no turning back now! I decided its time to change things up for 2021! As my daughter is now a bit older and ready for some longer camping trips, its time to get a better family camping set-up dialed in. I am going to sell the topper (so if anyone is interested hit me up)! I've realized that it's either too much space for daily driving or not enough, say when I'm moving larger gear or bikes. Plus the weight is something I would be happy without since this is my daily driver. So I just purchased a set of Billie Bars with the intent to also get a RTT in the near future.

Phase II:
Billie Bars bed rack
RTT (currently looking at Ikamper mini, open to other suggestions)
move current rhino rack bars from topper to cab
rear suspension if needed
tonneau roll up cover
Shrockworks rear bumper (got rear ended last year so might as well upgrade)

let the fun begin! pics to come!
I'm pretty sure I saw you around a few months ago, but not totally sure. The new setup will make your truck more identifiable so I'll know for sure next time. I'm excited to see what you're going to do next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles