My 2016 frontier build and adventure thread!

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
do not set your kid seat up like that. If it goes in the middle you need to use the lap belt. The angle of the strap is to slack and you could side load the latch clips.

I ran into the Same issues with mine and had to use the lap belt. Congrats on the kiddo!!
Thanks for the advice. I actually figured that out a long time ago, before the kiddo was born, when I took the seat to the fire department to get checked out. But thank you very much for the safety tip!!

Mo4130

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice. I actually figured that out a long time ago, before the kiddo was born, when I took the seat to the fire department to get checked out. But thank you very much for the safety tip!!
Good stuff!! And no problem. Unfortunately with me and my wife being over 6 feet tall. A new truck is in order.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys, been awhile big changes and pics coming.
But I have a question for you guys. I have recently acquired a set of the pro4x wheels that I have been wanting for ever.

I am thinking about painting the chrome ring around the outside of the wheel black, but I have searched high and low and have not seen this ever done. I would love to think I am the first to do this, but I have a stronger feeling that there is a reason no one has ever done this. Are any of you guys aware of any reasons this would be hard/impossible to do. I have done my fair share of painting wheels and realize how important prep work is and these will be no different. However I have never painted a chrome wheel finish like this. Any tips or pointers would be amazing.

Obrianmcc

Observer
The outer ring on the Pro4X wheels should be an Aluminum finish. Coated or not I'm not sure. My guess is that most do not paint because they are happy with the overall esthetic of the wheel. I would say go for it. Details are in the prep.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey everyone, I yet again need the wisdom of others. It's time for tires. I am coming from a set of 265/75/16 cooper stmaxx's and although I love these tires and they have been great I had to get real with myself and have come to grips that I do not need a tire that is that aggressive. I do go offroading quite a bit but this is also my daily and I am interested in a different tread patter this go around. Currently I am looking at the cooper AT3 LT or the general grabber A/Tx. My question, or challenge, I want to pose to you guys is, am I crazy for wanting to go with a 235/85/16 this go around? I love the tall/skinny pizza cutter look and for the weather we see her in Colorado my research has proven that this is a good size for maintaining traction in rain and slush. My main concern is the E load rating which is complete overkill for a frontier. Am I going to get nothing but a harsh ride out of this size and should I stick with what I know (265/75/16) or should I give a 235 a try? The cost savings are not as great as I was hoping, but the skinny tire does have some benefits (less rolling resistance, less wear on drivetrain) that have peaked my interest. What do you guys think?

justbecause

perpetually lost
I have been running grabbers for years. My next set I'm going from 265 to 235/85r16s unless constantly harassing general on instagram convinces them to offer a 255.
One guy running 235s says they help with our trucks goofy huge turning radius...

Running E rated has never bothered me, they have always been better than the LT duelers the truck used to have.

trasko

Adventurer
I have E-rated 265/75/16s on mine and I regret it. Significantly heavier, slower acceleration, cannot air them down to proper pressure without tripping the "low-pressure" lights, reduce fuel mileage. I won't be going E-rated again in such a small truck unless it's going to see primarily off-road. As it is I'm like you (more like 95% on-road) so standard D-rating is fine. I like the skinny look too. If you go that way please share you experience.

trasko

Adventurer
Oh. Years ago I ran 255/85/16s on an F250. They were great. For the Frontier I plan to stay factory Pro-4X size or go skinny, but only if the skinnies can return a weight savings while keeping or increasing tire diameter.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
I have E-rated 265/75/16s on mine and I regret it. Significantly heavier, slower acceleration, cannot air them down to proper pressure without tripping the "low-pressure" lights, reduce fuel mileage. I won't be going E-rated again in such a small truck unless it's going to see primarily off-road. As it is I'm like you (more like 95% on-road) so standard D-rating is fine. I like the skinny look too. If you go that way please share you experience.

Would you say other than the weight factor of your e load tires, is the ride itself still enjoyable or is it pretty harsh? What psi are you running?

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I wish there were more options in the 255. My dad is currently running 265 75 16 load range D in the Duratrac's and is very happy with them. For mainly on road use and moderate offroad (not being a rock donkey) the 265 is a sweet spot on the truck. Clearance, traction and weight is pretty good.

docwatson

Adventurer
I have been running 235/85s AT3s for the past two years on my R51 Pathfinder and will be getting another set when these wear out. The ride is stiff but I can't say the E-rated made a significant difference for me. I upgraded my suspension when I switched tires.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!! I agree it would be awesome if there was a better selection of 255/85 options out there, but I am super happy to hear about the good reviews on the 235/85's. For you guys that are running 235's what pressure are you running for daily driving? Please feel free to post pics also, I am vain and want a tire/size that not only functions well but looks awesome! Haha

Jc1986.carter

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!! I agree it would be awesome if there was a better selection of 255/85 options out there, but I am super happy to hear about the good reviews on the 235/85's. For you guys that are running 235's what pressure are you running for daily driving? Please feel free to post pics also, I am vain and want a tire/size that not only functions well but looks awesome! Haha

I ran cooper at3 in 235/85r16 for 50k on my 17’ pro4x. I like them a lot and the drove perfectly fine until I installed my lift and had Nissan do an alignment. After they did the “alignment” (my lower control arms apparently seized bushings and they couldn’t install the cam bolts without cutting the old bushings out, they ended up just replacing the lower control arms) the truck was still out of spec. I had 45k on them at the alignment and I just used that as an excuse to get new tires. I went back to 265/75r16 size with the bfg ko2s. After a 2” lift, 265/75’s look better to me. The 235/85s just didn’t do the truck any justice.

I ran 40psi with the 235s and I’m currently running 35~psi on the 265. The e load isn’t that bad. Some tire shops are super weird about installing e load on a midsize and I had one “tech” say I was at risk of a blow out due to running only 40psi with the 235s. I’m sure there is science behind the claim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles