My 2016 frontier build and adventure thread!

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Nap time projects

Hey guys, so my wife gave birth to our beautiful baby girl Ava on the 8th. So we have been super busy. But during naps I have been working on several little updates on the Fronty.

First I decided to black out the badges on the tail gate.

95F05467-96DF-4057-A891-3A9ECFD2E68F.jpg

DC36CE05-DC21-4C7E-98A6-82F3E52D30EC.jpg

BFA94039-DDB2-412E-98DB-7B7A7343A10A.jpg

BD858F6E-06C1-4FA4-9504-BBB6E365E2FF.jpg

DD927373-0EAA-4005-90AD-566F11B25CD5.jpg

E25938FB-1B1B-428F-A64C-F5F6EB82A2A6.jpg

Next I finally got around to updating the pathetic light that was stock in the leer topper with some led strands. They are fastened with Velcro so they can be repositioned as needed.

AD11F3F4-8E86-48F8-96AF-421D5EB5695B.jpg

4C11EE38-EF85-4906-A1E4-E2FBE54622AB.jpg

79349BE7-CCBC-4449-AE02-45073226EC19.jpg

old .45

Observer
Recovery points look nice! Good idea for your cord.

Tighten shackle pin, zip tie pin... I lost one from vibration once and it will hopefully keep a casual thief from stealing it. Nice truck ... good luck and enjoy the new baby.. they grow and go fast.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Tighten shackle pin, zip tie pin... I lost one from vibration once and it will hopefully keep a casual thief from stealing it. Nice truck ... good luck and enjoy the new baby.. they grow and go fast.

I had to pull the shackle out of mine, after someone stole the first one

colodak

Adventurer
Those Velcro lights won't last long. My ARE topper came with them from the factory, made it a year before they all started to fall off. Since I bought mine from new from Suburban toppers, I talked to them, ARE makes a kits using mercury switches that attaches to the sides of the topper (I have the windoors) and above the rear, very bright, comes on when the door is opened.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Interesting. The Velcro seems to grab very well for the time being, but I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for the heads up.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys I need your advice, what lift should I get??

Ha-ha just kidding, I have done much more research than that. First and most important is how my truck is used.
My 2016 4x4 frontier SV is my daily driver. At least 70% of its miles are on road, 30% off road. Ride and comfort are the most important thing for me. I want a comfortable reliable ride. I am hoping to get around 2in front and rear. I typically have a bit of load in the bed consisting of some tools and gear and my leer topper. When camping or off-road we pack a lot, most of which is for our 18month old so I want something that will help distribute the weight and not sag as much as the stock leafs.
I am hopping to stick around $1200 including install from nisstec. I really want to install 255/85/16 for my next set of tires, which I know the melt mod will be needed but I hope this amount of lift will give this size of tire a bit of breathing room.

After a lot of research my two top choices (but please recommend any other options that I may be over looking) are the OME MD front with the nisstec add a leaf, or the bilstein 5100 set at 1.5 inches and the same add a leaf out back. My big question is, is the OME system really worth the $400 price difference compaired to the bilstein option? I am a firm believer of buy once cry once but I also don’t want to waste money if the OME is over kill for my use.

So... what do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone

llamalander

I have the OME with some 255/85/16's, the ride is so much better than stock! I have to use my truck to haul around tools and materials far more often than I get to drive on dirt, and this setup is great on pavement and off. With a shell and a built-out bed, I use the HD springs, but I didn't add the last leaf until I thought I needed it. I added a 1/2" spacer in front to level everything, and I still have the stock upper control arms. Not sure what my ground clearance is now, but it's getting close to a Toyota... Although I do hear coil-bucket contact on occasion, I don't yet feel like I need aftermarket UCA's yet. The Auzzies put a lot of engineering into their suspensions and that comes across as a stable, responsive platform that rides and corners very well on crap roads, washboards and loose dirt. I never tried the Bilsteins, but I count the money in my suspension as well spent.

(none)

Adventurer
I also run OME. I have ARB front and rear bumpers, winch, sliders, cap, etc. Started out running heavies up front, medium in the rear. I ended up adding a 1/2" spacer up front and adding the extra ARB leaf to make the rears a heavy pack. I have SPC UCAs, so no contact although i did still have to trim some of the buckets, i also dont run the front sway bar.
Rides really well, i'll end up adding airbags to the back for towing and hauling the dirt bike on the hitch carrier though.

docwatson

Adventurer
I think airbags are underrated. They provide a lot of flexibility in tuning your ride based on load.

Also, I loved my XD 40. They are great pistols.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I noticed two of you are also running a 1/2in spacer up front. How bad was the rake before this spacer was installed? I actually prefer a little rake but I don't want it looking like a stink bug. Also where did you guys get said spacer? nisstec does not carry them.

llamalander

The spacer is a 1/2" addition that is sold as a 1" lift, Nisstec will add it to your coilover if you order from them, otherwise you need slightly longer bolts-
http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.p...tegory_id=162&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72
I put them on with the new suspension, never saw the rake. If you like the back high, add a leaf or get the HD leaf springs. I left mine out until I added drawers and a water tank to my shell, I think the recommendation is for trucks with at least 400 lbs. of gear on all the time...

Mo4130

Adventurer
Hey guys it's been awhile since I have been on here. Not to much is new with the truck, wife and I are expecting our first kiddo any day now, so that has kept us very busy with other things.

I did pick up a weathertech rear floor liner though. I still can't get over how precise the fit is on these.

E8688231-0A19-407A-A17C-A905446D1968.jpg

39FFCECA-BB7C-4EEB-BE51-CCE1BDABED52.jpg

Also took sometime to install the most important mod the truck will ever have. Ha

19EE2FD6-E567-447F-894A-2554746D2C0C.jpg

And although it's not truck related, I had to treat myself to a little present for making it to 30 years old this month.

19338B1F-3E4A-4065-91E5-0748203F9365.jpg

949497D4-5F7E-4680-80E0-0604ABDB1E4B.jpg

It's a Springfield XD(m) 40. Can't wait to get some rounds thru it.

do not set your kid seat up like that. If it goes in the middle you need to use the lap belt. The angle of the strap is to slack and you could side load the latch clips.

I ran into the Same issues with mine and had to use the lap belt. Congrats on the kiddo!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles