My 2014 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4x4 Camping Rig Build Write up and Pics!

blupaddler

Conspirator
Hmmmm... White Tundra, with shell. Looks kinda stalker-ish to me :)
And, yes there is often sticker shock as to compared how much stuff was years ago. Used fridges now cost as much as new ones did. Anyway.

Congrats.
We need to get together soon. Maybe even a short day run.

Wilyone

Observer
Good looking build so far. How are you liking the decked drawers? I have a Tiregate pre-runner set up and with the 35" spare I'm afraid it would close with the Decked system.

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
Awesome build so far. I have been looking at Tacoma platforms for years. Thinking the new gen tundras are just to big. Maybe not.. hmmm Keep on Truckin'!

explrcmping

Nice work! I found this build at just the right time. I am new and signed up so I can fallow your build!

I have a 2015 Tundra DC as well. I cant decide between a simple small travel trailer and building up the bed in a shell like yours. Care to share any specific experiences that were really frustrating about the trailer?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nice work! I found this build at just the right time. I am new and signed up so I can fallow your build!

I have a 2015 Tundra DC as well. I cant decide between a simple small travel trailer and building up the bed in a shell like yours. Care to share any specific experiences that were really frustrating about the trailer?

Hey Explrcmping

Sorry for the delay! :)

The list of cons to a trailer, I could write paragraphs on! I am a simple guy that doesn't need to bring my entire house with me while I am out exploring.

Its a preference thing. For ME, I don't quite understand the whole expo trailer "how much crap can I bring with me" approach, but I am not bad mouthing those that do.

Without getting into personal details of the cons to a trailer, here is a quick list:

-Speed limits
-Parking
-Storage
-MPG's
-Inability to unstick a buddy off-road if your trailer is attached
-Cost
-More moving parts to maintain
-Etc... :)

NOW... I am single and don't have kids or pets! If I had a small family, a trailer would be almost mandatory. But for MY needs, it is more of a hindrance than anything else! :)

explrcmping

Hey Explrcmping

Sorry for the delay! :)

The list of cons to a trailer, I could write paragraphs on! I am a simple guy that doesn't need to bring my entire house with me while I am out exploring.

Its a preference thing. For ME, I don't quite understand the whole expo trailer "how much crap can I bring with me" approach, but I am not bad mouthing those that do.

Without getting into personal details of the cons to a trailer, here is a quick list:

-Speed limits
-Parking
-Storage
-MPG's
-Inability to unstick a buddy off-road if your trailer is attached
-Cost
-More moving parts to maintain
-Etc... :)

NOW... I am single and don't have kids or pets! If I had a small family, a trailer would be almost mandatory. But for MY needs, it is more of a hindrance than anything else! :)

No worries, thanks for insight!

I actually ended up borrowing a trailer between now and then for a test run. Boy was that a production, not for me!

I do have a family who is not particularly interested in camping though. In turn some aspects of a trailer/comforts are necessary if I want to camp at all.

However, I did also pull the trigger and order a shell. I went with the A.R.E MX Series and a rack system. It should be here in about a week or so!

That officially kicks off my build, now I can slowly start to build the interior for a good balance of necessities I need to bring them with me and in turn hopefully not make such a production out of a small local trip.

Your build is super helpful, keep up the good work!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
No worries, thanks for insight!

I actually ended up borrowing a trailer between now and then for a test run. Boy was that a production, not for me!

I do have a family who is not particularly interested in camping though. In turn some aspects of a trailer/comforts are necessary if I want to camp at all.

However, I did also pull the trigger and order a shell. I went with the A.R.E MX Series and a rack system. It should be here in about a week or so!

That officially kicks off my build, now I can slowly start to build the interior for a good balance of necessities I need to bring them with me and in turn hopefully not make such a production out of a small local trip.

Your build is super helpful, keep up the good work!

That's exactly right. The amount of time spent setting up and breaking down some of those things is insane. If I wanted to have my whole house with me, I'd just stay home! Hahaha

Shoot me an email to: kevin@motobasedadventures.com

I've redone a lot of my build but for some reason can't update my build link anymore.

I love chatting about this stuff

Talk soon
Kevin

explrcmping

Will do!

Especially when you believe in returning something the way you found it or better.

Even if I took off all the extra cleaning and trips to the store to replace things like a stupid dollar stor broom it still took a full day between getting ready and getting it packed up.

explrcmping

For the inverter, i chose the Xantrex 2000 watt ProSine. It will power everything i need, and their legendary reliability is second to none. I mounted this as close to the battery as possible with the biggest cable possible to minimize voltage drop. I also installed a Blue Seas fuse block. I also rewired all of the OEM 12v outlets to be hot and run off of the AUX battery and installed a 12v and dual USB plug in the center console that always hot and tied into the Aux

View attachment 308914 View attachment 308915 View attachment 308916

The wiring isn't 100% done and finished yet, and will definitely be cleaned up a lot!

View attachment 308903 View attachment 308904 View attachment 308906 View attachment 308905

For the fridge, i really looked hard at all my options.. I have run the ARB, the Norcold, and an Engel back when I used to do this years ago, and had great luck with all of them. What i couldn't grasp is how much the price has gone up on ALL of them! The MT45 was $689 for years and years, and now its damn near a grand. I'm not holding anything back on this build, and i really don't have a budget limit, but I simply couldn't justify that much $ on a fridge.

After doing a lot of research, the Edgestar 60qt seemed to get rave reviews, and the dimensions fit my project PERFECTLY right behind the drivers seat.

The fridge is mounted on the drivers side, right behind the seat, and the way it is designed works perfectly, and does not need one of those very overpriced slide outs. Easy access.

View attachment 308907 View attachment 308908 View attachment 308909

Hi

Do you by chance have any resources you used to rewire your outlets so they are hot all the time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94