My 2008 KLR ADV starter bike.

DragonX

Observer
Hey guys, I bought my KLR 650 used 2 years ago and have clocked about 25000 miles on it since I picked her up.
uzeguhav.jpg

I have gone through a couple sets of tires... Still not set on one brand.. They all have some good and bad stuff, ie Metzler, Bridgestone, conti,
I have pulled her apart a couple times since my original purchace to do maintenance... Repaint buggered up plastics.. Timing chain tensioner spring etc. I have installed, SW motech crash bars, Rigid Dually led's, skid plate,windshield riser, universal 7/8 bars(now swapped out to protaper atv high rise).
She has done me really well over the years and I think I have another year or two left with her.... My only complaint is that she is really lacking power.. Hopeing to upgrade to a KTM in about a year or two.
Here are a few random pics.
yhu3y2eb.jpg

ynedupu8.jpg
7evuduhy.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

GlennA

Adventurer
I like it. If you want to wake it up a litttle, an aftermarket pipe and rejet works wonders. A forkbrace made mine handle better in all conditions.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The lack of power and braking ability are the main problems with the KLR. Of course I just keep on coming back for more since I'm on my third one.

How about putting in one of the 685 kits for more power?

Your bike looks awesome!

DragonX

Observer
I have considered doing the Wyman upgrade to the 685.... Maybe when I get another 600 bucks for fun money... Most of my mod money goes to my Xterra... I fully agree about the brakes also.. Both need a bump in performance.... Don't get me wrong though.. I love my bike and will more than likely never get rid of it.. If I do upgrade then the KLR will become my beater bike!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have considered doing the Wyman upgrade to the 685.... Maybe when I get another 600 bucks for fun money... Most of my mod money goes to my Xterra... I fully agree about the brakes also.. Both need a bump in performance.... Don't get me wrong though.. I love my bike and will more than likely never get rid of it.. If I do upgrade then the KLR will become my beater bike!

Yeah, it's hard to justify spending so much money on the old KLR myself. I'm going to eventually install the brake kit with the oversized rotor. I feel the same way you do about my KLR. If I do upgrade the KLR will still hang around.

Frank

Explorer
Great looking bike! I love the color!

Have a read through my thread on my KLR. I had a KLR, wanted more power, bought a KTM 950 and then sold it 6 months later for another KLR. The 685 totally transforms the KLR. -not so much for power, but for smoothness.

Consider re-doing the suspension. The Cogent Dynamic suspension gets my seal of approval.

DragonX

Observer
I got her all back together last weekend. I ended up repainting all the plastics, Chopped the rear fender, made a new license plate bracket, Replaced front and rear pads with galfer pads, replaced front and rear tires with Michelin T63s, replaced front and rear sprockets, installed new ATV High rise protaper handle bars, wired up heated grips, rewired Rigid dually lights....and cleaned stuff....
Hope to take her out to the desert rendevouze.
I took her out for a shakedown run this last weekend and it was beautiful. Bike ran great! Guess Ill keep her around for a bit more!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Looks great!

I ride on T63 Rear and love it. I've yet to put on the T63 front that I have standing by. Let me know how you like the tires.

Can you show pictures of the rear fender chop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles