My 2006 GMT800 2500 Auction Find...

Hey everyone, brand new here. Not really a long time lurker or anything, I just stumbled across this place when I was searching some gmt800 stuff. Then I saw this forum, and then Jeeps and WOW! Had to sign up!

I very recently picked up a 2006 2500 4x4 burb off a large online auction, 153000 miles. It's the commercial model and as it turns out it lived it's life in the Modesto, CA area as a sheriff dept transport vehicle. Still has all the cage barriers and even the weapon drawer in the back.

I live in Texas, and as dumb as it sounds, I inadvertently bid on this thing while looking at trailers in my state - after a few beverages, perhaps. 4 days later I get the email congratulating me on winning the burb, and I'm like uh oh. So...rather than pay a $500 fee to get out of it, I went and got it. Winning bid was $2000 and after fees and CA sales tax, the total purchase price was $2540.

Apparently they thought it wouldn't run, and sure enough when we got there to load it, it wouldn't crank. 20 mins later I got it going (bad fuse) and off I went. I'm sure if that fuse had been good, it would've gone for much more.

Here it is, in all its glory. The front cab area is actually in very good condition. Everything works perfectly, and the only paint damage is the typical GM white flaking off the hood. Not a scratch anywhere else or blemish.

20210301_093656.jpg20210228_163838.jpg82110.jpeg

Here's some more pictures of the burb. It's such a difficult decision to keep it or flip it. That being said, I do need a tow vehicle, and this definitely would fit that bill. I already have a in-depth Jeep build happening too, so that would eat away at motivation to do anything to the burb anytime soon.

If I did do some stuff to it, I'm thinking maybe the tow mirrors (I don't care for the GM standard non towing mirrors). I definitely don't want to keep any of the law enforcement stuff.

Ironically enough, I happen to have a G80 Govlock carrier for a 14 bolt and 4.10 gears to match it from my 2004 Silverado HD rear axle I placed in my Jeep. The govlock is way too weak for the Jeep, but could be repurposed nicely into this beastie. I'd just need to regear the front diff, which is no problem. It already has that rubberized vinyl flooring, which I happen to like as it's more slob-proof than carpet ??20210304_090716.jpg20210304_090646.jpg20210304_090310_resized.jpg20210304_090431_resized.jpg

Jacobm

What do the RPO codes say about lockers and gear ratios? My 2001 2500 Yukon has 4.10s and a G80 already, and that seems to be the most common setup I've seen. Great buy!

What do the RPO codes say about lockers and gear ratios? My 2001 2500 Yukon has 4.10s and a G80 already, and that seems to be the most common setup I've seen. Great buy!
I'm not sure. Are those in the glove box? I'm not really familiar with the RPO setup for the option codes on GM vehicles, as the last time I was doing anything with them was many moons ago in a galaxy far far away.

I believe the RPO for the gov-lok is simply G80. The 4.10 axle might be G84. And yes, in the glovebox.
Only G code (my CNC self is now laughing on the inside) on my sticker is GT4. I tried a VIN decoder and it showed as a commercial model with 3.73 gears. I never knew the govloc G80 was a GM RPO code for it, however I do have one to throw in there. In fact, I pulled the carrier because I need an open carrier for my Jeep 14 bolt (to install my Detroit into), so this is a win for that thing too!

Made some time today to de-police the burb. I thought it would take a lot longer than it actually did. I haven't removed the expanded metal from the windows yet, but wow...usable space!

That weapon cabinet was super heavy, which explains the 3in or so the rear suspension gained after all this stuff got removed.

20210306_111516.jpg
20210306_173522.jpg20210306_173500.jpg

If you keep the 'burb, you may want to keep the window guards. Consider it stout anti-theft protection for items in the rig.
Definitely keeping it. I drove it to visit my dad yesterday in Houston, about a 190 mile round trip. Solid and smooth. Now with that dead weight out it feels a lot more peppy, not that it was a problem before.

I'm gonna keep it and initially use it for a tow rig. Once the Jeep build is finished(ish), I'll start working on the burb. Been combing the posts here gleaning a lot of good stuff.

Stopped by the auto parts store and got some duplicolor paint to touch up the paint issues on the hood temporarily. Not hoping for anything more than preventing some rust over the next 2 to 3 months, til I have time to take the hood off and get it repainted properly.

Before and after of the hood, from 10ft away or so in person it looks ok too. I tried to feather the edges of the problem areas, but more paint just keeps flaking, so I left the high spots alone after noticing that.

Got a project out of state coming up at the end of the month, for about 6 to 8 weeks...gonna take the burb.

20210308_082530.jpg20210307_165819.jpg

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Made some time today to de-police the burb. I thought it would take a lot longer than it actually did. I haven't removed the expanded metal from the windows yet, but wow...usable space!

That weapon cabinet was super heavy, which explains the 3in or so the rear suspension gained after all this stuff got removed.

View attachment 646138
View attachment 646139View attachment 646140

dvn4life1972,

I am not a big fan of 2500 Subs, but the second picture, your Sub looks great! So clean, elegant, simple, black and white and I am a sucker for GMT800 bubblyness outside and pure practical utilitarianism inside!

I want to see more.

Been quite a while, and tbh I haven’t done much at all to the beastie (gf’s nickname for it).

I noticed a good bit of vibration coming from the front end, and after a blowout on the driver side it really got shook up. Just OEM sized replacement tires all the way around, new ball joints, and new unit bearings up front.

A few days ago I happened to look online for used second row seats in Dallas, because I was there for work and back home in Houston there’s none to be had anywhere, and I stumbled across these leather captain’s chairs for $200. Done!

18E3552F-9DDF-42C9-A530-32998EC2D7A8.jpeg
6538CF52-F8F4-4D2E-BFBE-08599B73BA2F.jpegB15B7669-1129-41FA-9BF5-FBA313D2CD64.jpeg
Had a little bit of supervision going on during the removal process..

1F7C082B-A132-49D1-816B-848C8ACF3B32.jpeg
Now that I’ve run this thing a year and about 25,000 miles, I have to say it’s a super solid platform. I need to finish up the interior, fix the headliner in one little spot, real audio lol, etc. Once I get beadlocks on my Jeep, the H2 wheels will go on the suburban with some larger tires. Probably just 35s MAX, as this is mainly intended to be a good and comfy tow rig for my Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz