My 2004 Explorer

midtnexplorer

This is my Explorer, little different than most people. I am little like that. So far I have switched the front to coilovers, the rear as rancho qicklifts with a 1.25" spacer. I have 305/70/16 GT Radial MT's. I have a one inch body lift. The future holds 4.56 gears that need to be installed along with a spartan locker. Going to make a winch bumper and then a rear bumper with a tire carrier. I have homemade rock sliders and roof rack.
11173378_1551204968458558_5416794676091774496_n.jpg

11149456_1551526768426378_2684160327375332951_n.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Why the older explorers are not popular has always been something I couldnt understand.

Good body on chassis, very capable 4wd, comfy, reliable, great motor, and extremely rugged.

Only real downside is the rarety of the manual trans and the TTB front axle.

I used to have a '94 Explorer. Put nearly 100k on it, and beat the poop out of it on and off road.
Never let me down. Not once.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
The first 2 gen of explorers were very capable. Strong motors and 4wd systems. It is crazy they never caught on for builds.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I am excited to see this build. This summer, I want to build a tire carrier rear bumper for my 98 F150. Maybe we can exchange some notes later on down the road.

Good luck!

midtnexplorer

I am excited to see this build. This summer, I want to build a tire carrier rear bumper for my 98 F150. Maybe we can exchange some notes later on down the road.

Good luck!

I'll pass on info I have when I do it. Got to get my gears installed first, these 305's with the stock gearing is my first priority. Still trying to figure out what style front bumper I want. I do not know how much cardboard I have gone thru making templates for the bumper.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The first 2 gen of explorers were very capable. Strong motors and 4wd systems. It is crazy they never caught on for builds.

Hear hear... I have two that are very close relatives to the Explorer (a Ranger and a Bronco II).
I wouldn't trade either one of them for anything else similar, even starting over again (at most I'd get stuck trying to decide between another BII or an Explorer Sport maybe). They're very comfortable to drive, have lots of room, have been reliable as dirt, and get very respectable mileage too (at least with the stickshift anyway).
There are some great communities on the 'net for these rigs too (www.therangerstation.com is just one of many). Lots of great tips & tricks for building these rigs.

Definitely diggin' your '04 midtnexplorer, very nice. That thing should look pretty mean once you get your bumpers done. :cool:

I thought these didn't come with a low range, was that the next gen after this?

2011-current do not have low range (nor a frame). 2010 was really the last year for the Explorer as far as anyone here should be concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94