My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

crismateski

American Adventurist
Oh man, I'm not getting notifications on this thread so after 8 months or so I decided to pop in here to see if my thread's even alive and I see your msg above. I'm definitely down for some trips so hit me up if you have anything planned! It just seems most of our SoCal group members I used to go exploring with have faded away.

I am still around, but dont spend much time on this site as I help to run a different group but am always up for some trail time.

Hawairish

Observer
If you’re ever heading over to AZ, I recommend you hook up with hawairish from NPORA. He’s a great guy & he’s done a number of interesting mods to his Pathy.

Haha, yeah he's an alright guy. (Thanks, man!) BTW, rear bumper build started last week...

Hoping to do some trips soon once the weather cools down a bit.

The CA, NV, and AZ Xterra groups are having their annual CANVAZ run in Anza Borrego 10/5-10/8. While probably not exactly cool weather-wise by then, would be great to meet up and see your iconic truck in person. Other Nissans welcome. Hopefully a few other R50 guys I know will make it out.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thought I'd throw up a few pics from the most recent trip as proof the Pathy ain't dead yet :p

43682068480_e75e46e2bc_c.jpg

...even after this lol
43681881610_57d9121131_c.jpg

43681881140_867e0de726_c.jpg

45498600301_3d2a6cafc8_c.jpg

45498618841_f4d3656d24_b.jpg

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Indeed! the water crossing at Afton Canyon was quite deep. Even those with much higher rigs had water intrusion inside the cabin and that water was mostly muck! For my truck it's just another battle scar but I felt bad for a few there that were in practically brand new trucks; a couple of mint stock Rubicons and a lifted 4Runner and new to the sport. At least no one hydro-locked lol

stpickens

Indeed! the water crossing at Afton Canyon was quite deep. Even those with much higher rigs had water intrusion inside the cabin and that water was mostly muck! For my truck it's just another battle scar but I felt bad for a few there that were in practically brand new trucks; a couple of mint stock Rubicons and a lifted 4Runner and new to the sport. At least no one hydro-locked lol

Did anyone bother to close all windows and run their hvac on recirculation with blower on high while crossing the river. It creates a high pressure inside the rig and tends to help with water intrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RainGoat

Did anyone bother to close all windows and run their hvac on recirculation with blower on high while crossing the river. It creates a high pressure inside the rig and tends to help with water intrusion.
That’s good for dust too!

Funny, I camped at that campsite a year ago, about this time of year. If I hadn’t been driving my ex-brothers-in-law’s borrowed 2nd Gen Sequoia I might have tried it then but that crossing wasn’t nearly so deep at that time.

stpickens

I am always on recirculating when on dirt. The cabin filters are too expensive to replace ever time out. It’s bad enough I clean my air filter every month in the summer because of dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah a few rigs had their a/c on but didn't seem to matter. Dust is much lighter so the small pressure inside the cabin can help keep it away. Water has a lot more compression force when it's displaced. The bow wave helps but only to an extent also, it's just the nature of the beast :)

I've done that crossing several times and this was the deepest I've seen as it was right after the rain storm we got a couple of weeks ago.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well folks...I've been thinking about selling the beast lately :( Unfortunately, I don't drive it much at all...whenever I do it draws a lot of attention, people talk to me when I fill up which is somewhat fun lol. But unfortunately I don't get to go offroad very much anymore as other things/hobbies in life are taking most of my time lately and I'm seeing that changing anytime soon.

Anyways, so I'm trying to figure out what's a reasonable price to ask for it. I've poured money and soul into it so no amount really feels just but obviously from a practical point of view I need to price it reasonably. It now has 149k on the clock, there's an oil leak which I believe is the valve cover gasket leaking but other than that it runs well and no new news to report. What say you fine folks?

Dmski

Adventurer
Sad day. I remember following this build since the start! Love what you’ve done with the rig and I’ve always wanted one of the R 50 pathfinders. I am kind of curious what your price at four. I don’t need another rig but this is hard to pass up if it’s reasonably price sad day. I remember following this build since the start! Love what you’ve done with the rig and I’ve always wanted one of the R 50 pathfinders. I am kind of curious what you’ll price it for. I don’t need another rig but this is hard to pass up if it’s reasonably priced!

RainGoat

Honestly, unless you really need the cash, I suspect you’ll regret selling it. You could never replace it for what you’ll get for it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. Good to see you guys still around too!

It's a tough decision. If I keep it for the time being , how long would I keep it? It's not so much that I need the money I need the room. I've been thinking about getting a pickup truck but don't want to add another car to the household. As for pricing it I guess I should look around and see what the similar 4runners etc are going for then add the Nissan-quality premium to it haha

Here's the most recent shot of it in its usual pose as of late lol

47705695761_425d5c52fa_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles