My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
For me I'm a major tinkerer so I don't mind it too much but it's a curse in itself because if I had the chance I'd have a full fabrication shop, a woodworking shop, autorepair shop...I kinda do at a micro scale in my garage but limited on space, time and money :D But yeah you should feel spoiled :) sometimes it's just nice to not have to reinvent the wheel and just move on to other things or interests or productive activities to do with your time.

stioc

Expedition Leader
OK guys so the lower valence/skirt part of the bumper is on.

IMG_20170220_132811-1280x960_zps3tn3xxon.jpg

Now the question is...light bar yes or no?

IMG_20170221_160027-2_zpsfkhrg5ot.jpg

IMG_20170221_160057-2_zpsw1jkf8nm.jpg

For some reason I'm liking the cleaner look without the light bar but I still need to mount the aux lights somewhere. As much as I love my IPS 968s with HID conversion there's just no room to mount them with the winch on the front so for now I got these cheapies http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G3HDSWK

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I personally like the look with the bar. I think it adds a little bit of toughness to the look. I'll agree, it does look cleaner without, but I like it with the bar.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys and good to see you here XPLORx4, been a while, we need catch up!

Oh and you mean something like this? :D
IMG_20170223_1813103_zpsxztyfdrm.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
Good lord it has been too long! Good to see it's doing fine, I'm loving the bumper setup. Good move on keeping it pretty light, that I know would be my issue with a bumper. Countless rigs go for bumpers that are needlessly heavy duty, and functionally no stronger, so good on you for avoiding that. The drawer system looks excellent as well. I like that cutting board idea, very convenient for a quick kitchen setup. :)

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks - it has been a long time! I haven't been on here much lately but I was thinking about you, mortonman and a few other regulars here. Hope all is well- catch us up on your truck when you find time.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks - it has been a long time! I haven't been on here much lately but I was thinking about you, mortonman and a few other regulars here. Hope all is well- catch us up on your truck when you find time.

I'm still lurking. Haven't done much to the truck or used it anywhere off a gravel road recently unfortunately. She is starting to get rusty on me

stioc

Expedition Leader
Good to see you lurking! Yeah it's been kinda the same on my end too. How bad is the rust and where? It's one thing I have no direct experience with. Hope you get to enjoy her some more before the rust gets too bad.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Good to see you lurking! Yeah it's been kinda the same on my end too. How bad is the rust and where? It's one thing I have no direct experience with. Hope you get to enjoy her some more before the rust gets too bad.

Over the wheels it's getting bad...it wasn't oil sprayed it's whole life which is a necessity up here so it's only a matter of time.

I imagine I will have it for another year or so....after that who knows. I do miss my GTI...

stioc

Expedition Leader
The new GTIs look sleek and surprisingly have even more torque than the R32s. However, I would miss a camping/offroading rig, doesn't have to be a toy that mine's become but something I could take on medium trails like the 4Runner TRD Pro.

While I'm here, a quick and dirty project for the truck. I did the coolant bypass mod on my truck some time ago. Decided to cap off the tube.
IMG_20170417_165816-1209x1612_zpsgcefsdzy.jpg

Chucked up a piece of some type of poly/plastic/delrin rod on the lathe, perfect for the job.
IMG_20170417_165835-1209x1612_zpsi66qo820.jpg

All done in about 20mins
IMG_20170417_173640-1209x1612_zpsdx1sc4ja.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
It's just called the coolant bypass mod where the coolant will no longer circulate through the throttle-body keeping the intake temps down. At least that's the theory, I never noticed any difference one way or another so I just let it be.

W!lbs

This is such a beautiful Pathfinder. I have one just like this. Bought it for 1800.00 and all it needed was a timing chain replacement along with repairing all the oil leaks. You did an amazing job on this build. Cant wait to get mine started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles