My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Have you checked your wheel bearings, especially the inside ones? Had mine fail but didnt make any noise. Just suddenly would get a massive shaking at about 60mph.
You very well could have a strut failing causing a funky bounce as the weight shifts around.

Allof75

Pathfinder
That's really strange, issues like that are incredibly frustrating, I'm dealing with a couple right now too. You put in poly bushings in your rear trailing arms right? So it shouldn't be them, maybe it's a ball joint or something, have you been able to inspect the bushings up front? I've had a similar thing happen, but mainly when I have a load and I'm going a bit too fast. For it to happen in normal driving though would get old fast I'm sure though.

Lecoq

Explorer
I had an issues with mine at the lower control arm. The 3 bolts holding the lower balljoint in were shifting side to side and the holes were elongated. I looked for a long time before I found the issue. Also look at the upper strut mount. Mine was worn out at the cup that holds the bearing in place and shifting side to side.

stioc

Expedition Leader
You may be on to something there Lecoq! As I said it does seem the right front tire seems to shift inward when the weight transfers to it (lifting off the gas). I did change both ball-joints some time ago may be those bolts have worked themselves loose? I did a quick visual but didn't see anything obvious but it may only be happening when there's plenty of force so they could look fine but may not be tight enough. Did you have to replace the control arm or did you just tighten the bolts? I'll check when I get home.

Lecoq

Explorer
I ended up replacing the control arms. The holes were oval and there was no way of saving it. It looked fine when I looked over the whole suspension but the noise was still there... Wish I had a picture.

EDIT. This is a picture of the replacement part but you can see the 3 bolts beside the balljoint. They had lateral play on all 3. Have a look at your strut bearings and the bottom bolts to the spindle as well.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks man. Well I just checked by putting a socket wrench on them and I couldn't budge them any tighter so I don't think they're the culprit afterall... the struts seems to be ok, the bolts are all tight.

stioc

Expedition Leader
So I finally found the weird suspension issue...it turned out to be the early stages of the infamous death sway. The reason I didn't suspect it was because I had just (seems like yesterday) replaced all the rear trailing arms but yeah cheap Dorman bushings gave up the ghost in 20k or so miles. So I ordered the poly bushings and replaced all four a couple of weekends ago. Another job which in theory is easy but in practice takes time and patience. It gave me a hard time trying to line up the bolt holes during the reinstall but it's done, is hopefully good for 90k miles and the handling feels great!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah surprised me too. So far I haven't heard any squeaking but with time they may...as long as it doesn't sound as bad as a balloon being gnawed at by a 1yr old I'm ok with it. My front control arm poly bushings have been in there for a good while and so far so good.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Yeah surprised me too. So far I haven't heard any squeaking but with time they may...as long as it doesn't sound as bad as a balloon being gnawed at by a 1yr old I'm ok with it. My front control arm poly bushings have been in there for a good while and so far so good.

Sounds like there's a story with the balloon here... :sombrero:

Stubbs

I replaced the bushings on my '98 when it developed the death wobble about a year ago. This past weekend on the way home on a road trip I noticed the wobble is coming back. Do you think it's possible the bushings are gone again? I've probably only put 15000 kms on the truck since I last replaced them. Although it does see a fair bit of forest service roads.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Sorry about the late reply- for some reason I didn't get notified via the subscription...not the first time either.

Stubbs, hard to say but that sounds too soon for poly bushings. Did you replace all of them last time or just the lower or upper control arms only?

Edit: Oh about the Balloon story - Wreckdriver got it :D

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Sorry about the late reply- for some reason I didn't get notified via the subscription...not the first time either.

Stubbs, hard to say but that sounds too soon for poly bushings. Did you replace all of them last time or just the lower or upper control arms only?

Edit: Oh about the Balloon story - Wreckdriver got it :D

Nailed it!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles