My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yes zerk fitting, I used the Valvoline DuraBlend NLGI 2 moly/lithium based grease: http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/synthetic-blend-grease

As for the solar panel for the fridge in my experience with the fridge+larger DieHard Platinum battery you really don't need it unless you're camping in the same spot for 2+days and/or you're in the fridge constantly and having it cycle the compressor a lot. Around here the overnight temps in the high desert and mountains are in the 30s and 40s so it doesn't have to work much. But the prices and sizes have come down enough that having a nice 30-40W panel for the peace of mind is not too bad.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thanks! And that's what I've been thinking, it seems like the systems are pretty plug-and-play now, where they'll just shut off if it'll kill your battery. But obviously I wouldn't want spoiled food either. I'm wondering if there would be a way to trickle charge a secondary battery during the day time with the solar panel to run the fridge at night, where as you know the desert even in the spring can be 90*+. Typically I move camps frequently enough, or at least leave to explore and come back that the battery should hold.

Speaking of batteries, have you had any issues with your negative terminal coming lose? At work I've had to jump a lot of cars, and I've noticed that the wire to the ground terminal can be easily pulled off, no matter how tight I adjust it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
You can definitely do a dual battery setup from mild-to-wild.

The only issue I've had with the DieHard Platinum battery is the negative terminal on the battery is too small for the clamp so from the very beginning I've had a small metal piece/washer wrapped around the terminal to give it the proper diameter so I've never had an issue with it coming loose.

Lecoq

Explorer
Looking good man. Love the rear bumper. Great that you still have the R50. I gotta stop looking at this build...might turn the wife's R50 QX4 into something she might not approve haha.

Allof75

Pathfinder
You can definitely do a dual battery setup from mild-to-wild.

The only issue I've had with the DieHard Platinum battery is the negative terminal on the battery is too small for the clamp so from the very beginning I've had a small metal piece/washer wrapped around the terminal to give it the proper diameter so I've never had an issue with it coming loose.

Ah, that's exactly the fix I was looking for! Thanks.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed skimming through 107 pages of your build. I'll be going back over it as time permits, I just picked up an 03 to do mild wheeling and camping with. It was a good deal and will fit 2 car seats in the back, everyone is happy :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
I was hoping this thread would die at page 107 but now you bumped it up to 108 so I'm forced to post more pics :p

Here're some pics from our recent trip to CO.

Yankee Boy Basin:
IMG_6572%20Large_zpscn7psrfs.jpg

IMG_2369%20Large_zps9mxe3hcl.jpg

IMG_6558%20Large_zpsol7jj6fz.jpg

IMG_6556%20Large_zpsrjxrh70i.jpg

Imoge pass:
IMG_6655%20Large_zpsukgb1gpz.jpg

Last Dollar Rd:
IMG_6561%20Large_zpswhan0xzq.jpg

IMG_6775%20Large_zpsmcsbjlbq.jpg

Engineer pass:
IMG_2429%20Large_zpstnyte0oa.jpg

IMG_2420%20Large_zps12dh2fzv.jpg

The truck worked great overall, we climbed to 13k ft elevations and 9% grades in 109F temps without any issues. The highest coolant temps I saw was 206F on a long steep grade driving 65mph but mostly the temps hovered around 195-200F. The only problem I have now for some reason is when I take the foot off the gas or back on the gas while moving above 50mph the whole body dips forward (or back as the weight shifts) and wags side-to-side at the same time no matter how gently I roll off the throttle or back on it. Almost like the motor mounts are broken or something is loose in the suspension but everything I checked seems to be OK. It could be the alignment too. Whatever it is it can be scary in a high speed turn so I need to figure it out. Off-road, of course, the truck had no problems doing any of the trails, it just walked right up on even the scary look sections. The bumper stayed welded on the whole trip so that's good news since I hadn't tested it offroad until now :p. The best part to me was having a place for the gas cans and the Trasharoo without sacrificing any interior space which allowed me to pack everything for the trip inside the truck and it all fit. Granted I didn't bring the fridge and a few other camping items but I seem to have enough room for all the essentials now.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Well, the rear sway sounds like our usual rear link bushings.
The added dip and lean. Could be the way the extra weight on the back bumper is being handled?

duke90

Adventurer
Looks like a nice trip, I was hoping to do the Alpine Loop this year as well, but looks like I'll have to push that to next year. Did you check the motor mounts? I had a similar issue (Seemed like something was shifting under acceleration, but I couldn't figure out what it was). It turned out being the driver's side motor mount.

Hawairish

Observer
Man that truck is looking good! Great pics, and that bumper turned out awesome.

Yeah, check the motor mounts. In duke90's case, the motor mount was wedging back into itself before it'd pop out from the torque and give him a slight jerk. We thought maybe it was the transmission, but the bumps didn't correspond with shifting. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just sorta floating on the driver's mount under steady load...then comes down when you're off the gas.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
THIS THREAD CAN NEVER DIE!

Haha but really man, Pathy is looking great and it looks like you're having a blast with it. The R50 platform is such a great rig.

So, after all this time with it on the road and the trail, is there anything you'd do different? anything you'd add or improve?

Doubt it would be the rear sway. I removed mine entirely and don't have that problem. I'd also say motor mounts. Nice trip! I'd love to make it out there someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
As always I appreciate all the kind words guys! I too suspect it's likely the motor mounts because it reacts to the throttle on/off, I'll look when I can get back in the garage but probably not anytime soon :(

THIS THREAD CAN NEVER DIE!

Haha but really man, Pathy is looking great and it looks like you're having a blast with it. The R50 platform is such a great rig.

So, after all this time with it on the road and the trail, is there anything you'd do different? anything you'd add or improve?

Haha thanks! :)

What I'd do differently or add/improve:

1. Wish the truck was a bit bigger inside without being big outside because the outside dimensions makes it easy to traverse tight trails. In fact, sometimes I can completely avoid obstacles fitting between or around them lol
2. Wish it had more payload capacity and better brakes. 1000lbs payload give or take is OK for a single person or a couple but add a kid, a dog, armor, camping gear, big tires etc and it maxes out easily.
3. If I weren't so vain I'd keep the 245/75/16 lighter AT tires, not go too tall with the lift and possibly lose the unnecessary steel/armor too but it's not my daily driver so I can over-do it :)
4. I sometimes wish the camp setup/tear-down was quick and easy like a Flippac, FWC, Maggiolina or a Sportsmobile -but may be in another 5-10yrs :)

Other than that I can't really think of much else, it just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles