My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
In addition to having better on-road manners the AT tires will also be plenty for most Moab trails IMHO. The slick-rock have plenty of traction also don't thrash tires like the rock gardens do.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
I've daily driven on my mud STT tires. Nope wouldn't do a road trip in them. But was thinking either AT3 or ST MAXX

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Allof75

Pathfinder
I think those ought to be fine, I agree with stioc that if what's on there is new anyway, it's not worth switching to a smaller diameter rim only to air down a little more. The 16s will perform better when aired down, yes, but I think the exact difference wouldn't be too noticeable, as you can still air down the 17s. I'd mainly be worried about scratching those pretty rims on the rock more than actual performance.

Tires-wise, I've noticed by far a majority of people running Moab have ATs. Typically, they seem to have stickier traction on solid rock than their MT equivalents. Mainly, the drone from the MTs would get old over that mileage. My Toyos got pretty loud near the end, and it definitely is a source of fatigue you might not expect when driving long distances.

Last edited:

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Not worried about scratching them. Already have scratches from PO as they did take it off road in the upper NE.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Time for a trip report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141830-Our-last-min-solo-trip-to-the-Mojave-desert

IMG_0060 Custom_zpsv4g3viqv.jpg

Your Pathy is in great shape! Seems like it's been working out ;)

massiv

Hi stioc!
Almost sold my Path for a 2wd daily driver (I do have a project 4x4 in full restoration). Finding 235/85R16s for sale and finding this thread made me change my mind. I read through it all in the last couple of days, thanks for your contribution! I will be posting some pics as I build.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo and glad you enjoyed reading through this build thread. Goodluck and keep us posted on how your truck is coming along.

Here's a pic from my last trip we took to the Mojave Desert last weekend, lots more in the CA/NV section:

56259a10-9180-4e9b-aa3b-841ff8315974_zps0acqirex.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
Hi stioc!
Almost sold my Path for a 2wd daily driver (I do have a project 4x4 in full restoration). Finding 235/85R16s for sale and finding this thread made me change my mind. I read through it all in the last couple of days, thanks for your contribution! I will be posting some pics as I build.

Have to agree! Before I saw any other "build threads" I happened to run across this site and stiocs pathy and was blown away at what his rig turned into. I like the simple, yet well thought out and intentional look of his rig.

stioc

Expedition Leader
After a long hiatus I just started working on a new project. The rear bumper; the need became apparent when on the last two outings I realized I was skimping on bringing extra gas and water when we were a bit tight on space. Neither of those things should be the compromise. Another thing is hauling trash out after 3-4 days in the desert. We've managed ok with just a backpack on the tailgate but a Trasharoo will be better.

Starting with a clean slate, removed the hitch and the OEM bumper to start mocking up the mounts and the overall design.

1C25F467-DEC8-4040-BA9D-56BFC2E60D34_zpsscj6wfwk.jpg

More to follow...

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks I have most of the material already so I'm making good progress...but that also means very few pics unfortunately.

375274AD-A0E2-4702-8C6D-5AFFCC1B0239_zps9bbdbvck.jpg

Matto

Observer
THIS is something I want to see. I've thought about doing the same for mine for a while, since my spare has to go on the roof. But I have always been worried about how to attach it to the car. That said, I've never been serious enough (or just too lazy to) to pull the bumper off - looks like it's quite straightforward? Love the angle on the side wings.

Keep up the good work.

cheers,
Matt

Dmski

Adventurer
Woah this will be a sweet process! I like the start and lines already! What do you think it will weigh once its all all said and done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles