My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Yes, I dont know whats up with their shipping charges. Wanted like $30 to ship the bushing to me. Yup, nope.

marty1977

Adventurer
Nice work. My front end is waiting for me to. Like you said it never ends, there is always something that needs changing but its part of the experience owning a vehicle that we go places with :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Been pretty busy at work and will continue to be for a good long while...I did get the new poly bushings in and the truck put back together. Only took one pic of the new bushings as it was a bit of a work and I needed to get it done in a couple of hours.

3840D9ED-B17F-4FFF-AA0B-CA765240FBD5_zpsg3zeopax.jpg

604allstar

Wanted to thank you for posting the bilstein 5100 part number, I spent days looking for that number before I found this site. I read through all 94 pages and really enjoyed the complete write up and can't wait to start my build as soon as the ome HD springs are back in stock at the end of the month.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Good to see, I do believe I am due for now lower trailing arm bushings out back... Going poly to make it one and done. I recall you redid your control arms, did you replace the whole arms or just the bushings?

rgallant

Adventurer
I just did the bushings, they are tough to cut out. Clear the rubber 1st, then you need to remove a metal insert. The metal portion needs to be cut and driven out. I had a perfect sized piece of steel pipe and used that to drive the insert out after cutting.

Do one arm at time and you will no issues getting it all back together. Took me an afternoon in the driveway, but I was working pretty slow.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I bought new rear trailing arms and I'm glad I did, the cost was about the same minus the aggravation. If the originals lasted 125k miles the replacements will last another 100k easily and that's just fine by me.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I bought new rear trailing arms and I'm glad I did, the cost was about the same minus the aggravation. If the originals lasted 125k miles the replacements will last another 100k easily and that's just fine by me.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for, have you experienced any discernable difference from behind the wheel with poly bushings?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Not really; now if I was driving a sports car and throwing it into the turns then I would notice it but for a truck I think they're overkill and probably actually add more NVH. Only reason I went poly on the front control arms is because the new arms were very expensive. So since I had to replace the bushings I figured I might as well go poly.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Not really; now if I was driving a sports car and throwing it into the turns then I would notice it but for a truck I think they're overkill and probably actually add more NVH. Only reason I went poly on the front control arms is because the new arms were very expensive. So since I had to replace the bushings I figured I might as well go poly.

That's my thinking as well, so far regular MOOG units have done the job. I've heard poly bushings can squeak a bit, something like that definitely drives me nuts. Front control arms are a total PITA.

Rota

Hey stioc, I absolutely love your build. I actually was considering selling my Pathfinder since it has been sitting lately, but after seeing this I'm inspired to do a similar "budget build" on it so I can get back out to the trails.

Just a couple questions, and I apologize if they've been asked before. I'm completely new to Pathfinder aftermarket parts.

Where did you source your lift springs from? And was that all that was needed to fit the larger tires? My Pathfinder seriously needs a new set of tires as well as a new CV boot and I'd kind of like to take care of everything at once.

What is the typical place to pick up aftermarket parts for the Pathfinder?

Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait to see more of your truck!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Haha yeah that 'budget build' didn't quite end up being a budget build at all but I enjoyed making it the way I wanted it.

As for parts I got them from many different sources just googling for what I needed, cross referencing original part nos etc. For aftermarket stuff if you go with OME springs I got those from Rocky Road Outfitters, same for the sliders. The AC springs I got from www.4x4parts.com. CV axles I got from my local OReilly parts store and the CV Boots from NAPA.

My truck won't change a whole lot from here on out. I'm still unsure if I want to do the steel bumpers- that's about all I could do to it at this point. I did purchase the parts for the front bumper about six months ago but never got around to building one. Same for the rear...I'm still happy with the stockish/sleeper look.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Small addition, with a lengthy explanation lol.

I've been bringing along a Roll-a-table for a camping table and it's worked OK, it's a bit heavy, awkward to assemble but it doesn't take up much room which is why I use it as opposed to the lightweight folding table I have that isn't too thick or heavy but bulky and big with no place to carry it. While the Roll-a-table works it's not enough to prepare food on and eat there too so we either have to remove the stove etc after cooking or we sit on the camping chairs balancing our plates vs. cups/glasses etc. I have to say the room isn't as big of a challenge as it used to be thanks to the storage platform (I love that thing btw), the roof rack, the tow hitch gas-can carrier etc. However, I just don't have room for another table. So what do I do? think, think...light bulb! :D I love having that pull out table I built into the storage platform; it's awesome for quick trail side lunch stops and we've used it on every trip so far ever since we've had it.

195A1014-0C99-40EE-9612-D23647F6F16F_zpsacx1gx6j.jpg

85831608-5EA8-4C7A-AC10-18B119839026_zpsa9qglixx.jpg

What if I can make it dual-purpose, that would be awesome- but how? there's no room to add folding legs etc. It's a very snug fit inside it's channels and wouldn't accept any hardware bolted to it. However, what if I make four separate legs, lightweight and easy to store- similar to the Roll-a-table's- that's it!

I was planning to order the aluminum tubing to make the legs until I realized I could re-purpose the tubing from my old folding camping chair that's not as comfy to sit on anymore. So I drilled out the dozen rivets and disassembled the camping chair.

Weld on 4 bolts like so:
23B20808-4F9D-4FC3-A3DD-DE65528C9A12_zpsyeehkoif.jpg

Drilled out four simple holes in the pull-out table from the storage platform:
10D76607-F84F-4E3C-BF37-5DE8CA6C3158_zpsrwllybyr.jpg

Add a flat aluminum bar for stability and assemble the legs like so with large washers for support and wing nuts for quick assembly/disassembly:
C317961F-81D7-4851-87C2-7AAE7446AA28_zpsjwqznger.jpg

...and viola! It's no SnowPeak but ain't too shabby either
B4A61BA3-429F-493E-926E-BBB72802BBDF_zpsjxaqftz6.jpg

Now it probably won't hold a 2gal water container but it's perfectly stable and solid for plates and a couple of nalgenes. It also is the perfect height for when sitting down on chairs (23"). Best of all, it takes me less than 2 mins to assemble by myself, the legs and hardware is all self-contained for storage and weighs less than half a pound while making the pull out table multi-purpose and even more useful. I love these simple DIY solutions that make trips convenient and fun!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles