My 1999 XJ build thread

JandDGreens

Adventurer
That is a pretty good clip in a lifted rig. I might take mine down to Moab for the labor day week end, hope it holds up. I need to get my self working on mine. I don't have any skid plates what so ever and need to get the rear axle I bought installed and the front re-geared so my gearing matches up better with my tires. Just wish this hobby wasn't such a money pit!

cleanEG

Observer
That is a pretty good clip in a lifted rig. I might take mine down to Moab for the labor day week end, hope it holds up. I need to get my self working on mine. I don't have any skid plates what so ever and need to get the rear axle I bought installed and the front re-geared so my gearing matches up better with my tires. Just wish this hobby wasn't such a money pit!
I hear yah! I have to take a break from spending money on the jeep for a while. It's at a point though where I just need to keep it running and hopefully be good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

unkamonkey

Explorer
Th$at is a pretty good clip in a lifted rig. I might take mine dre thr thin hoe to drivown to Moab for the labor day week end, hope it holds up. I need to get my self working on mine. I don't have any skid plates what so ever and need to get the rear axle I bought installed and the front re-geared so my gearing matches up better with my tires. Just wish this hobby wasn't such a money pit!

Yep, i'm an old guy, I've driven around on the trails around Moab for decades in my 3B and I dinged a muffler end once.
Learn how to drive the thing first before you throw lots of $ at it.

cleanEG

Observer
Been a while since I updated this thread. I've been enjoying the jeep more than building it so that's why it's been quite some time. I did a few upgrades and maintenance items recently. For starters I finally replaced the timing chain, gear set, crank seal and harmonic balancer (238k miles). There was so much slack in the chain that afterwards, the jeep idles quieter and runs better. I even picked up 1-2 mpg too! While I was there I upgraded the waterpump to a flowkooler pump and flushed the cooling system again. The starter went out so I replaced it and outside of that, it's been running strong.

For the suspension I added some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks to the rear along with new lower shock mounts and new leaf spring perch bump stops. On the front axle I added some Artec Industries 1/4" plate LCA brackets since the oem sheetmetal brackets were chewed up from the rocks.

Last, but not least, I purchased a Kodiak VX 10x10 tent and I cant say enough good things about it. Plenty of ventilation and I'm sure it will hold up to the desert winds this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20180930_134016.jpg
    IMG_20180930_134016.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20180403_131606.jpg
    IMG_20180403_131606.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20180519_152155.jpg
    IMG_20180519_152155.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 141

GenPatTuck

You did everything I am going to do but I have had mine for 9 years. With friends getting me into Jeep thing and then them getting out of it and still holding on to wanting to do more camping in it (getting rid of my rv, talk about Just Empty Every Pocket). Really wanting to build an expedition trailer! But you kept with 33's, that's something I have been struggling with and a decent lift. Nothing too extreme, just upgrading so it wont break. Great Job!
With the money you spent on the tent, you could have one that fits on the top of the xj.

Swede.

Great build, and travels, thread 'cleanEG'!
I just recently got a -97 XJ myself that I'm gonna build so it's been good with info and inspiration. Not sure how 'built' I really want it though... it's fun and cool with ability to go on really rough trails, but it needs a ton of reinforced parts. Leaning more mild/expedition/overlanding than 'wheeling' right now.

cleanEG

Observer
You did everything I am going to do but I have had mine for 9 years. With friends getting me into Jeep thing and then them getting out of it and still holding on to wanting to do more camping in it (getting rid of my rv, talk about Just Empty Every Pocket). Really wanting to build an expedition trailer! But you kept with 33's, that's something I have been struggling with and a decent lift. Nothing too extreme, just upgrading so it wont break. Great Job!
With the money you spent on the tent, you could have one that fits on the top of the xj.
Thanks! The 33's have been plenty to big to tackle extreme trails to mild trails. I thought about 35's but then I would need upgraded steering components, axle truss, and probably a better front axle (currie 44) to handle the stress. It's just not worth it to me at this point. As for the tent, no room on top for an RTT with the spare tire and gear and it's too difficult to get my 160lb mastiff in an RTT :)

cleanEG

Observer
Great build, and travels, thread 'cleanEG'!
I just recently got a -97 XJ myself that I'm gonna build so it's been good with info and inspiration. Not sure how 'built' I really want it though... it's fun and cool with ability to go on really rough trails, but it needs a ton of reinforced parts. Leaning more mild/expedition/overlanding than 'wheeling' right now.
Right on! Yes, one thing I have learned is that to build a rock crawling / overlanding rig weight becomes an issue. The armor required for the hard core rocks is heavy as well as the roof rack, bumpers, spare tires, tools, etc. Then you pack in all the gear to go camping and my jeep is heavy! At one point I had it weighed at 5600lbs with full tank of fuel, 5 gallons of water, 10 gallons of spare fuel, food, tent, tools, etc. The gears help out, but only so much. I'm now thinking of ways to reduce weight on overlanding trips by removing some of the extra armor I wont need and packing light. Eventually I plan on a stroker motor to help with power.

cleanEG

Observer
Been a while since I posted so I figured I would update the build. I have been having some cooling issues when air temps are 100+ F and climbing hills. I upgraded to a Mishimoto radiator and purchased a new aux fan. That seemed to help a little but I was still overheating. I then decided it was time to replace the cracked exhaust manifold thinking the exhaust gasses were heating up the block / engine compartment when under load which is why the temps were climbing high going up the hill. Each time, the AC was on full blast and to keep from overheating I had to shut down the AC which sucked in hot weather. I put in a Banks torque header and flushed the cooling system and havent had any issues yet. So far it's been running good but at 270k miles, the engine is getting close to the end of it's life. Soon I'll be building a stroker motor as a replacement.

Oh, and a few months ago I stripped the Jeep down and sprayed it with Raptor Liner tinted with Jeep anvil gray. In spite of the 80 hours in labor to prep and paint, it was worth it.

jeep_1024.jpg

andysgreenxj

Observer
Next upgrade was a 2-way radio -- As a new ham, the Baofeng UV5R was cool and worked for a while, but it was time for a mobile rig. I picked up a Yaesu 1900r 2m to start with and a Diamond 1/2 wave antenna. Figured it would be better served up and out of the way between the visors. Great radio so far!

0118162035b.jpg
I can see that you are using a ram mount for your tablet, but how did you mount it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles