My 1992 Chevrolet/Isuzu Trooper Build in Chile S.A.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
I'm really enjoying your build so far. The practicality is really nice, everything you'll be using on an everyday basis. Also its always interesting to see someone trying to make things themselves as opposed to buying bolt on upgrades. I'm looking forward to more updates!

I live in Canada and we've been able to import 15 year old vehicle from Japan. In fact my father owns a RHD Trooper with that 3.1 TD. While it's a great engine in many respects, the fuel economy definitely suffers from the IDI fuel system. I would prefer the 2.8 DI myself.

Could you elaborate what you did with fuel pump and boost up? Boost controller and boost compensation adjustment on the pump? Are you measuring EGT? I have a Mitsubishi Pajero with the 2.8 TD an manual fuel pump and I've been waiting to install a better intercooler before tricking the waste gate signal and adding more fuel.

Thanks Tin! I'm glad you like my build. As I mentioned before, all this part of the build is from when I bought the rig a year ago, or just a little over. I've still got new things to do, but I'll get to that in due time. I also really like to fab/make my own stuff. I think it's more unique, and I have more constrol on the application. So, when possible, I really preffer to make my own stuff. Unfortunately though, here in the south of Chile, I have found very few people I trust to do most of the work. Therefore, I'm a bit obliged to do my own work.

That's so cool, that you guys have imported vehicles. My Trooper and my Daihatsu are both imports,and while it's cool to have something different, it is a challenge too.

As far as the fuel pump tweak goes, I have a mechanical pump. On the mechanical pumps there is a fuel by-pass/inlet screw with a 13 mm nut on it. You just have to loosen the nut, and tighten the screw in. At first I had the screw 3/4's or 1 full tighten, and I must have only been getting around 8kpl. I say that because when I went to do the technical inspection, the exhaust opacity was at 4.8, and the max allowed was at 2.8. So, I had a lot of power, but was wasting a lot of fuel. I know have the screw turned 1/4, and it's good enough. Not what it was, but it's not dumping so much fuel in the exhaust either. I'm actually not running a boost guage either. Reading on-line, I found that on the turbo that I have, which is mechanical boost adjustment, with 1.5 spins of the boost regulator, it should be around 3 extra pounds of boost. None of this for me has been real, super scientific. I have yet to find anyone here that has the equipment I desire to tune the truck the way I want too. So, I just keep working on it.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Are you aware the steering box is adjustable? Loosen the 17mm lock nut on top and turn the center "screw" clockwise to tighten play in the steering box. Only go a quarter turn or so at a time, don't want to overdo it.

Hey Big Swede! Thanks for the insight. I do know about tightening the worm screw. I've done that, and all that happens, is that the steering gets stuck where I turn it too, but doesn't take the slop out.

One reason, is that the steering box is shot, and the area that this Trooper comes from has a lot of rutted, Tree rut, and large rock areas that I'm sure have taken their toll on the steering. Another reason, which I'll go into now, is that the u-joint just before the steering box was REALLY BAD. It moved around an 1/8" side to side before starting to spin the box. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the u-joint coupling to come off as it should. On top of that, I couldn't get the u-joint coupling that I need from anyone in a quick manners. So, a friend of mine, noticed that the Chevrolet Luv's have a Steering u-joint that is identical in size, and for $20 got the whole steering colum. I then proceeded to cut the bad u-joint out of the Trooper steering colum, and the good u-joint off the Luv's column and mate the good u-joint to the Trooper column.

This is the original bad u-joint
IMG_0490.jpg

I then proceeded to cut and bevel the shaft attached to the u-joint, and on the steering column.
IMG_0493.jpg

I then stick welded them together with 1/8" electrodes (I use a stick welder on almost everything. There's a lot you can do with a stick welder!)
IMG_0495.jpg

Then I sleeved the weld. While it didn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped for painted, the welds are super strong.
IMG_0497.jpg

To do all this work, I had to actually take the steering colum, with the steering wheel, out of the Trooper. That was a whole other challenge.
IMG_0509.jpg

It was not fun, but it made a world of difference in the steering. Still, 1-1/2 years later, and I still haven't forked up the cash for the new steering box. They are $300 U.S. dollars here. This month though, I'm buying a new one to install.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Ah, Trooper was not there in the morning or on my way home from work. Will keep an eye out for it, though. Xela is a small town. It couldn't have gone that far!

No sweat man. If you happen to see it, and can get a photo, cool! If not, I understand. I'm going to Puerto Montt today, so I'll see if the Patrol is parked there today.

tin

Observer
Hi Eric,

Great job on mating the shafts! The welds look great and sleeved joints are super strong. It's just awesome to see this kind of stuff. I realize that the culture in Chile is a bit different in North America, is suppose it's just a matter of having less available. I am totally in the same boat as you in terms of the imported vehicle. Parts availability is not great here either, but I am able to find cross references through parts catalogs some the time. The other times it comes down to some creative problem solving. I know of an Isuzu online parts catalog that I could forward to you, if you like.

I don't quite understand about the mechanical boost adjustment. Is it the waste gate actuator or some kind of other system? Typically there will be a signal line (hose) that runs from the compressor outlet to a diaphragm that pushes the waste gate open. More air pressure = more pressure being relived from the exhaust side. Typically people make a relief valve to place in that signal line, so when the compressor is making say 10psi, the relief valve bleeds off 2psi and the waste gate diaphragm thinks its only 8psi and opens the waste gate more slowly. And so on. Is this what you're doing? If you adjusted the waste gate pushrod, you just change the position of the gate, either more open or more tightly closed. Tho other way is to change or tighten the spring that resists the diaphragm. It would be very nice to have an adjustable wastegate actuator.

Does your fuel pump have a boost compensation device? Its essentially a diaphragm with a rod that has an eccentrically mounted cone and a spring that resists the diaphragm. Most diesels with turbochargers have a fuel pump with this device. Unlike the bypass screw (which controls fueling over the entire RPM range) the compensator is able to control fueling in a variety of RPM. For example you can set the fueling before boost, when boost fuelling begins, how quickly the fueling increases in regard to boost and also fueling across the entire range. This method is not only safer but you can get better economy and power. Not to mention that you can do all of the tuning on the road by looking at the exhaust smoke levels at various loads and scenarios.

I have a nice article on this, it's written by a guy tuning Land Rover TDIs, but the fuel pumps are pretty much identical. He explains very well how the compensator works and a step by step guide on how to tune it. He recommends an EGT gauge for safety, but everything is doable without. The compensator is very easy to access and disassemble. It's right on top of the pump and has a boost signal hose going to it. It's a shame I can't attach a pdf to this post, but let me know and I can put a link up.

Also, is your other project a Daihatsu Rocky? Would you mind posting some pics?

Regards,
Valentin

tin

Observer
You could try to source a steering box from the us from a wrecker. It would be cheaper for sure. There are troopers in the yards here all over. Though the shipping might be steep for a used part...

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
You could try to source a steering box from the us from a wrecker. It would be cheaper for sure. There are troopers in the yards here all over. Though the shipping might be steep for a used part...

Yeah, I've looked into that, and it seems like my only option now. Chile's only Isuzu parts importer (other than the dealers, who are 3 x's more expensive) has told me that the troopers are too old now, and they aren't going to import any more parts for them. They don't even have most stuff for the troopers in stock to begin with.

As I've said, I've done the math on importing a steering box from the states, and the cost is right around $450 U.S. which is very steep. So, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now. I'll have to wait a bit on all this for now, and see if my visa comes thru for sure.

Last edited:

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Hi Eric,

Great job on mating the shafts! The welds look great and sleeved joints are super strong. It's just awesome to see this kind of stuff. I realize that the culture in Chile is a bit different in North America, is suppose it's just a matter of having less available. I am totally in the same boat as you in terms of the imported vehicle. Parts availability is not great here either, but I am able to find cross references through parts catalogs some the time. The other times it comes down to some creative problem solving. I know of an Isuzu online parts catalog that I could forward to you, if you like.

Thanks for the compliment on the welding. And yeah... most of the situation here in chile has to do with import cost, economy, and therefore, availabilit of parts. I would like to see the online catalog. You can post it on the thread here, send it to a pm thru the forum, or send it to ericatericmcgrew.tv. Thanks and make sure you use the @ symbol in the email. I avoid putting it in my email on public pages like this, because of spam bots.

I don't quite understand about the mechanical boost adjustment. Is it the waste gate actuator or some kind of other system? Typically there will be a signal line (hose) that runs from the compressor outlet to a diaphragm that pushes the waste gate open. More air pressure = more pressure being relived from the exhaust side. Typically people make a relief valve to place in that signal line, so when the compressor is making say 10psi, the relief valve bleeds off 2psi and the waste gate diaphragm thinks its only 8psi and opens the waste gate more slowly. And so on. Is this what you're doing? If you adjusted the waste gate pushrod, you just change the position of the gate, either more open or more tightly closed. Tho other way is to change or tighten the spring that resists the diaphragm. It would be very nice to have an adjustable wastegate actuator.

I've just opened the wastegate actuator a bit more. So, yeah, I've lengthed the pushrod a bit. I typically don't call things as they are with turbos on the forums, because I have to go back and simplify it later. Generally speaking. Also, I'm just using the factory wastegate. I've not adapted a valving system nor installed a blowoff/valve. Some people people call both the same thing, but as you seem to realize they are 2 different setups.
Also, I have not change the spring rate on the diaphram.

Does your fuel pump have a boost compensation device? Its essentially a diaphragm with a rod that has an eccentrically mounted cone and a spring that resists the diaphragm. Most diesels with turbochargers have a fuel pump with this device. Unlike the bypass screw (which controls fueling over the entire RPM range) the compensator is able to control fueling in a variety of RPM. For example you can set the fueling before boost, when boost fuelling begins, how quickly the fueling increases in regard to boost and also fueling across the entire range. This method is not only safer but you can get better economy and power. Not to mention that you can do all of the tuning on the road by looking at the exhaust smoke levels at various loads and scenarios.

My pump does have the boost compensation device. In fact, both of my rigs do. The Daihatsu and the Trooper. On the trooper, I have not spun the plunger, so that it get's more fuel pass thru. On the Daihatsu, I have spun the plunger.

On the trooper, and Daihatsu both, I have turned the fuel pass thru screw/bolt, that presses toward the plunger, and have had quite a bit of power applied. On the Daihatsu, I have also adjusted the star nut under the diapham of the boost compensation device reducing the amount of smoke created. Even still, under heavy idle, I do have a medium cloud of black smoke that is expelled. I'm still within legal smog opacities for Chile, on both rigs though.

Honestly though, I've never really heard much about adjust the boost compensation device. If that's the screw/star nut under the diaphragm/above the plunger, then yes... I've adjusted that on the Daihatsu.

I have a nice article on this, it's written by a guy tuning Land Rover TDIs, but the fuel pumps are pretty much identical. He explains very well how the compensator works and a step by step guide on how to tune it. He recommends an EGT gauge for safety, but everything is doable without. The compensator is very easy to access and disassemble. It's right on top of the pump and has a boost signal hose going to it. It's a shame I can't attach a pdf to this post, but let me know and I can put a link up.

Also, is your other project a Daihatsu Rocky? Would you mind posting some pics?

I'd really like to see the article you have. Once again, feel free to post it here on the thread, pm me, or send it to my email above. Technically, yes. My Daihatsu is a Rocky. However, it's not the Rocky that was sold in the U.S. Mine is what is know as a F73/Fourtrak/Rugger/Taft/Rocky. All the "Rocky's" sold in the U.S. are more commonly know as Feroza's/Sportraks. Here in Chile, both exist. Most common are the Feroza's/Sportrak. Unfortunately, my "Rocky" (Fourtrak/F73), is not common either, and almost impossible to get parts for. Even harder than the Trooper. My Daihatsu also has a 2.8 turbo intercooled diesel in it. Here's a Photo of how it looked, then slightly modded and then now.

This is how it looked when I bought it. Looked better, but had a number of hidden problems.
bridge rocky When Axle owned it..jpg

Slightly modded. Unfortunately, my rigs are always dirty. Just how it is here in the country.
View attachment 266775

How it sits now.
View attachment 266777

Attachments

• Lifted-Rocky.jpg
    Lifted-Rocky.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 13

Patrollife

Explorer
I see those Daihatsus a lot here in Xela. Cool rigs, including yours! I'm glad to see she's finally out of the shadows and posted on your build page. Been waiting for her inauguration!

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
I see those Daihatsus a lot here in Xela. Cool rigs, including yours! I'm glad to see she's finally out of the shadows and posted on your build page. Been waiting for her inauguration!

Since this is a Trooper thread, I haven't wanted to confuse it to much with my Daihatsu. Still, I thought that I had added one more photo. Because the last photo above, is not the state of the Daihatsu currently. Currently the Fourtrak look like this

View attachment 266864

I haven't put up a thread on my Daihatsu, because, i don't feel that it fit this forums style much. The Daihatsu progress, as been 100% off-road capability, and has nothing at all to do with over landing/expedition style rigs. If, you guys think it would fit the forum though, I can start a thread. I've had so much that I've done attempted with that rig, that it's now in it's 3rd version of rear suspension. I have a big expirement going on with it right now in fact.

I will have a bit more on the Trooper build/mod in the next day or so.

Just fyi, if you guys want to know more about what I'm doing, or what I've done to either of these rigs recently, you can see more on the following 2 sites.

http://ericmcgrew.tv/life-in-chile-vlog/

http://ericmcgrew.tv/beginners-fab/

I cover the actual doing of the projects of these rigs in the Beginners Fab episodes, and I go over a lot of my plans, and what it takes for me to get what I need in the Life In Chile Vlog. So, you all might like those.

tin

Observer
Thanks for the photos of the Fourtrack. It would be cool to see what kind of things youre doing to it, sounds enticing if youve changed to rear suspension config three times! More on the trooper too.

Here is a link to the catalog site I use: http://catalogs.marketparts.ru/

It's a Russian site but it's possible to navigate without knowing Russian as all your'e looking at is pictures and part names are in English. Basically click on ISUZU then either search by VIN or "США" (USA), ОБЩИЙ is all other markets. Ask me if you don't understand something.

As for that article: I will PM that to you. Have a read, it will explain exactly what the top screw the diaphragm/cone and starnut control. There is another fuel adjustment screw on the Bosch pumps that adjusts fuel throughout the entire RPM range, but it's very sensitive and you should adjust at 1/8 turn at a time. I wouldn't touch this overall fuelling screw unless you are running lean in all situations. To get the best balance between power and economy a diesel should produce a light smoke at full throttle. Of course if you stomp on the throttle you will always get a puff until the turbo has caught up with the air side of things. Medium smoke is ok but you are throwing a little unburnt fuel out the exhaust so that may be a factor if economy is of concern.

From what I gather what you've done with the boost is change the waste gate position. I don't think you have actually increased intake pressure. I would return the wastegate pushrod adjustment to normal as a slightly open waste gate will cause higher load on the turbine to produce adequate intake pressure as the wastegate will always be relieving pressure. You will run especially hot combustion between 1500 and 2000 RPM, right before the turbo starts to build intake pressure. An adjustment that is too tight will put needless strain on the wastegate actuator components.

What you can do to increase intake pressure in locate the wastegate signal hose and splice in a manual boost controller, which is essentially a valve that uses a ball bearing and spring to regulate how much pressure can pass through the line. You can make this controller from regular air compressor fittings bought at a hardware store. By hooking up an air compressor or a bicycle pump with an pressure gauge to the wastegate signal hose instead of the compressor side of the turbocharger you can check the air pressure that is needed to activate the wastegate and adjust your boost controller to achieve desired pressure. For example if the untouched wastegate opens at 13psi and you want to increase opening pressure to 16psi you must restrict 3psi in the signal hose. Essentially you reduce the pressure in the signal hose by 3psi so the wastegate opens later allowing exhaust pressure to continue to spin the tubine shaft and build pressure longer. Hopefully that makes some sense. Here is a photo of a DIY boost controller.

MBC021.jpg

Here is a photo of what this setup looks like:
12503d1202173138-dejon-mbc-install-factory-turbo-1-07-ss-mbc-diagram.jpg

Do note that if you increase the intake pressure, you must also adjust the fuelling accordingly. Tricking the wastegate in this way will not only increase peak boost pressure, but also change when and how fast the pressure will rise. Thus you will have to change when "on boost" fuelling begins, how fast the fuel quantity increases and peak fuel quantity. The article gives a decent idea of how to adjust the compensator for these modes. Also note that there may be a safety relieve valve in the intake system, it's ususally on the intake manifold and will open to relieve intake pressure at whatever preset pressure the spring in that valve is compressed. You may have to modify that valve if it is releasing your 16psi of boost that you are working to achieve. Just something to look out for.

As you said the boost controller is a totally different thing than a blow off valve. Even though the name suggests it might not be. A blow off valve is installed on gasoline or other engines that are throttled by air. It is designed to relieve the pressure build up that occurrs between the turbo and the throttle plate when you drop the throttle for changing gears and such. A blow off valve is useless in a diesel engine as a diesel is throttled by fuel and doesn't have a throttle plate.

And finally, $400 odd is steep for a steering box, especially if it's from a wrecker. We have a Trooper in the local "pick n pull" self serve yard, if you want I can take a look at the steering box in it next time I go. I think they want about $70 for a box plus slowest shipping to Chile costs a little more than $100. Let me know if you'd like me to check if the box is any good I might be going either next weekend or the weekend after. Your trooper is LHD right?

Too much writing, time to sleep, but hopefully it helps you somewhat. Please post more updates. I saw in one of your videos that you have a rear bumper on the Trooper! Looks home made!

Last edited:

tin

Observer
One more thing, I don't know about others but I can't see some of the photos you posted recently. Don't know why...

and also I cant post the pdf here as the file is too big and PM doesn't let me add attachments. Maybe i'm technologically inept but I cant figure out where to put the @ in your email.... Here is my email valentin.brovko(at)gmail.com. Send me a message and Ill send the article along.

Last edited:

kperras

Isuzu's 2.8l turbo intercooled modle was a factory option for a while. While it is a bit more underpowered than say the 3.2 gasoline V6 or the 3.1 turbo diesel, the 2.8 does just fine. I have the Fuel pump tweaked for a few more hp, and I have the turbo boost adjusted for around 3lbs of boost more.

With the 2.8 motor in it, I'm I can get between 22-26 mpg with Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/r16's on it. I'm running the aluminum factory wheels. They are conciderablly lighter, even though, not too showy.

I could swap the motor over to the 3.1, but I don't think I will. Onc reason is, that the 3.1's are getting harder to find with a mechanical fuel pump, and mechanical setup in general. Most now, run on an ECU, and I don't like living so far out in the country, and there being so much water with an ECU run system. There are also quite a few areas where there is no cell signal here, so it makes it harder to get help if something goes wrong. Another reason I'm not a fan of the 3.1 is that they don't last as long since they have a idi setup. It's much smoother while running, but the heads (I've heard), have a problem cracking due to the idi setup. So, for now, I'll stick with the 2.8.

Very interesting. I've been thinking about a swap for a very long time now. The 3.1 is the standard swap for 2nd gen Troopers but the JDM engines come with the electronically controlled fuel pump and finding an engine in Japan set up for manual is difficult. The added cost of getting an engine from the UK, and the likelyhood that it has had a harder life doesn't interest me. 2.8 TC setups are common though and come with a mechanical pump. I'm after economy, not power so the 2.8 was my first choice but I hadn't seen a swap done yet!

tin

Observer
I believe the 3.1s had manual pumps up until 94 or something like that. My father has a 92 Trooper with a 3.1 or the 4JG2 engine with a manual pump. Its efficient if tuned well. I think he gets between 22mpg and 30mpg, depending on driving and conditions. The 4JB1 or 2.8 was available until the early 90s and is direct injection, that makes it fairly more economical (in theory). I've heard of people getting something like 35mpg, but im sure that's 90km/h on flat highway. Both engines are considered very reliable powerplants, even more so the the Toyota diesels of the same class and displacement. I wonder if the bell housing on the 3.1 and 3.2 gas engines is the same?

kperras

I've got the MUA-5 so it will bolt up to the 2.8 and 3.1 without issues. There's a complete parts Amigo in Vancouver with a 4x4, 5spd turbo inter-cooled 2.8. It's a non starter but at $1500 for the complete, I get all the little bits that will make the swap complete. If the pump is dead it's still only $700 for a new one or half for a rebuild...tempting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior