My 1989 Suburban with a Westfalia top grafted into it... also dual 360 swivel seats

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Oh and by the way (because folks always like debating this), Robert (RAK motorsports) and I argued for a while on the brakes for the rear axle. He wanted to do discs but the e-brakes with the eldorado brakes suck. So I voted for new drums. Robert had to use the backing plates off my of semi float and measure a bunch to get the right ebrake cables. But they work great!

Just explaining why I opted for drums.

They do indeed suck. I put them on my 98.5 Dodge Ram. Marginally better stopping power and a worthless parking brake. Fine build bud!

dbreid

Adventurer
One other little thing. I always hated not having a good place to put the fuel cap when fueling. And the factory plastic bumper filler didn't look great with the rear swing out. So I made this:

032d292e2e3973fc0829ce4094b385d5.jpg

0821a364f4d9f5dbaea27818e3cad182.jpg

Nosferatu49534

Observer
It is, but it's maliable when heated to the right temp. (Hope I spelled that right.) you tube has lots of cool videos on forming it.

303Dizzy

I've been googling about something like this for awhile. So hard to find a Burb with a pop up. You see them on Jeeps, landcruisers, etc. I also love the swivel seats, like a conversion van. I might take on a project like this.

4mul8

I saw this parked at work yesterday. Did a search for Suburban + Westfalia and found this thread. I love the interwebs. Awesome project, sir!

dbreid

Adventurer
I saw this parked at work yesterday. Did a search for Suburban + Westfalia and found this thread. I love the interwebs. Awesome project, sir!

Thanks! I feel a little badly often having to park in those few outside the parking garage "compact" spots, but the truck is too big to fit in the parking garage. :)

ratkin

Adventurer
Love this truck and build thread!

Can you put a link in for the switch pod you found? Looks like it fits these trucks perfectly!

Thanks!
Richard

Here's a shot showing the nice switch pod added to house the ARB switches (compressor, front and rear lockers).

b63112aabe6ce0fd3cbdf03fd11682c4.jpg

dbreid

Adventurer
I looked around at a bunch, and settled on some that were actually built for Land Rovers. Check out: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk

That’s where I ordered mine (and the switches etc). All those Carling switches are great.

I painted the pod to match, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles