My 1989 Suburban with a Westfalia top grafted into it... also dual 360 swivel seats

Ultralite

Adventurer
What a great rig. I own both a Westy and a Suburban and have slept many times in both. How often I have dreamed of combining the best of both worlds.
They're both so versatile in their own right.
Thanks for sharing

boll_rig

Adventurer
Just re-read your whole thread here again. Incredible job putting everything together! And looks like the reinforced angle iron did the trick for keeping the structural integrity of the roof. Ive been trying to figure out where I saw the swivel seats on here, its one of the better, most practical suburban modifications I think. Would love to see some more photos of the rooftop bed and how it folds out with the foam. What is the total length of the bed up there?
This was one of the threads that helped inspire me to start building mine. I am currently working on fabricating a pop up roof for my 03. Yet i always loved the idea of a westfalia top up there.
Well done!!

dbreid

Adventurer
Thanks!!! I haven't finished the upper bunk yet. Originally it flipped open, but I took it out to look for a different solution. I'll post pics when I finalize it.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Any updates? I took my Westy off-road last weekend, had a blast but it was hot coming home. I keep looking back and forth at my Suburban and Westy thinking "which one? Which one?" Wishing they were merged...

dbreid

Adventurer
Funny, I was just measuring to replace/install the plywood for the upper bunk. Other than that it is pretty darn close to "done" for a bit.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Wow, just amazing! You are a true craftsman. Most people wouldn't have tried to even think about doing a project like this. Love it! You should definetely get some photos up on how you have the rig setup for camping.

dbreid

Adventurer
ea071c803fb4bdbbd2d763f14bc90282.jpg

dbreid

Adventurer
Here are a couple of action pictures. I had to use a weird fisheye to take them because of the angles....

In this one you can see the passenger seat swiveled and my Son "driving". You can also see the underside of the flip forward plywood platform (still not covered yet)

5b3736a9605d5ea5407a76c47188c2ff.jpg

And this one is me standing up, looking toward the rear to show the "tent" my son slept in in the upper bunk.

35c5ec951be51b05e393b260758bed6c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior