My 1989 Suburban with a Westfalia top grafted into it... also dual 360 swivel seats

dbreid

Adventurer
And a shot with the trusty old rocket box mounted.

0042350e172670fdd648242458c2d3b3.jpg

dbreid

Adventurer
Sneak peek at the next project on the Suburban....

2e8bf3d452844a3647183509a1dc9cdb.jpg

My kids and wife are too short to climb up easily, so we are customizing some AMP Research steps off a Dodge to lower when the doors open. They work crazy well!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Those steps are game changers for the wife and kids! When I bought my truck, it was the first thing my wife commented on and really the only thing since.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Man, clever idea and a great execution.

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been asked, but do you think it would be possible to graft one of the roofs onto a truck topper?

boll_rig

Adventurer
Man those steps are killer! great call.

Man, clever idea and a great execution.

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been asked, but do you think it would be possible to graft one of the roofs onto a truck topper?

I think you sure could, but you'd need an 8 foot topper.. at least. Am I right Db?

dbreid

Adventurer
You would need a really long topper. More than 8 feet by a lot. I also don't think a Fiberglas topper could take the weight when popped without flexing. But the limiting factor would be the length I would think.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
You would need a really long topper. More than 8 feet by a lot. I also don't think a Fiberglas topper could take the weight when popped without flexing. But the limiting factor would be the length I would think.

Yeah, I was imagining cutting down the WV roof to match the length of, say, a six foot topper. I'm not sure how much cutting you can do though without sacrificing function. The weight/strength of the fiberglass topper was something I hadn't thought about.

Last edited:

dbreid

Adventurer
I don't think cutting one down would make any sense. What good is a vw tent that is too short to sleep in, and you need to make a custom tent for? Those tents are complex and expensive. I would dread making that custom. And if you took even 3 feet off of it, it would be super short heigh wise (it is a triangle and you cut the "tall" side short).

So yeah.... Not worth it. If you want that go find a wildernest. That's pretty much what those do, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne