My 12 volt USB chargers are dieing.

rrliljedahl

Observer
If this is the wrong forum for this, please let me know.

I have a total of 5 USB chargers in my truck camper that keep burning out and I am interested in what others think me be the problem.

They are 12 volt female sockets with removable male 5 volt USB chargers inserts for our phones and iPads.

The first five USB inserts lasted about a week before they all quit working.

The second set of USB insert chargers were from a different manufacturer but again only lasted about a week before they were all dead.

I have 500 watts of solar on the roof with a mttp controller.
300 amp/hour 12 volt lithium battery.
2800 watt magnum energy inverter

Voltage at lithium battery is 13.3.
Voltage in the 12 volt female socket is 13.3.
The last set of male 5 volt USB chargers states "12-24 volts".

Nothing's looks or smells burned on the male USB charger inserts. The female 12 volt sockets look fine. They just quit working. No circuit breakers are off.

I have reviewed the solar and lithium battery set up with retailers who so far are clueless as to what the problem might be.

Thoughts???

rrliljedahl

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Thoughts???
Cheap USB sockets? Undersized wiring? I have had a bunch of Blue Sea and Marinco USBs in my truck for 1-2 years and they are fine with iPhones, Android phones, iPads, and battery-powered speakers. No laptop charging that I can recall.

Gooseberry

Explorer
Take one apart to see if it's a fused link that opened. I have a few and use them all the time at 14 volts but I do not leave them in place unless I'm charging a device. No issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paranoid56

Adventurer
have you tried some name brand ones? i had a lot of bad luck with the cheap ones found at store counters and such

SoCal Tom

Explorer
What are you charging with them? You maybe drawing too much power.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've had good luck with this 5 port Anker USB charger. http://amzn.to/1WCk3DP
However I rarely break the cheapo modules on their own so whatever is affecting you maybe isn't a problem on my vehicle. But I do like the idea of a trustworthy manufacture making one device that converts the voltage then splits the power 5 ways through a controller rather than the multiple 12v port splitters and individual converters.

anickode

Adventurer
I've had car USB chargers toast from plugging tablets into them, especially if they're being used while charging. Serious power draw.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
It is your Apple devices especially the iPad. They draw more current than typical USB ports support. Find a new USB adapter that can can support a minimum of a 2.1 amp draw. Also make sure that your 12 volt wiring and outlet will support the draw as well without too much voltage drop. It shouldn't go below 12.8 or so if it is 13.3 with no load.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
I also might add that many manufacturers (including brands like Blue Sea) rate these USB chargers in total amps, not amps per port. So if you buy a USB charger that advertises 2.1 amps and plan to use both ports, then you usually only get 2.1 amps total. Maybe with the combined current draw of your devices (iPad and others) all connected on the same charger (both ports), you are asking too much continuous draw than the ports can provide. Just a thought.

FYI - the newest USB ports from Blue Sea are rated at 4.8 amps total which is pretty healthy for most devices. I am sure other high quality brands have offerings that are similar that might work out well for you.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
One guy I hunt with uses his iPad in my truck for hours on end while we are traveling. Never a problem with Blue Sea sockets and USB inserts. I don't remember the wire we used for the aftermarket sockets, but it's fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online