My 101A2, from start to 98% done

Buffalobwana

Observer
In 2016 I bought some beat up 101A2’s that came up for auction. Dented, missing wheels, moss growing on them.

I pretty much got what I paid for.
Or2gWyz.jpg

Go pick up my booty.

FuCobUb.jpg

So, I didn’t like how low the tongue was.

gxhGwAl.jpg

Remove tongue, sell for $100.
c1eZFI7.jpg

add new 2.5” receiver hitch because it fits perfectly between the gap in the tongue. And I have another trailer with a 2.5” hitch.

E5jabMk.jpg

zmeJhaM.jpg

Much better.
SzVFTQB.jpg

Load it down with plywood and lumber for its inaugural trip to the ranch. It’s heavy and here I realize how badly I need brakes on this trailer.

FrH6Ejr.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
So, I want to build a rack to go over it to put a RTT on and to have mounting points for tools. Also a structure to throw a tarp over to keep things dry.

start with a 2x2x.125 angle iron base, spaced 1/4” off the wall of the trailer.
xUHYclK.jpg

Rr2Zgfo.jpg

Weld it and round off sharp corners.
UBkNtjq.jpg

I’m using a JD2 tubing bender and 1” sch 40 pipe.
p0EwDRA.jpg

using a take up sheet to get my bends perfect.
I9JH8RI.jpg

Also using a JD2 notcher. This thing is quick and precise.
UXp6sIF.jpg

Bend my pieces and set them up with a wooden jig to keep everyone spaces properly.
FBIWdDg.jpg

In the bed is a roof rack that just didn’t work out in the end. Looked funny. Too bad. Spent a lot of time on it. Dislocated my shoulder and got smacked with a 2x4 in the head trying to wrestle it up there too.
xRutbT3.jpg

Once I got it all tacked I welded in the cross members.
cxRq6uG.jpg

QYqqkcc.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Time to work on the landscaping. These trailers are so tough, it’s insane. I made 13 trips with large river rocks in the bed and 4 trips with decomposed granite.
VL0ypyr.jpg

BGaW6oL.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Ok, time to work on the trailer again. Had one of my guys take a flap wheel to the whole thing to get the loose paint off it. I’m not about to do that. That is some nasty work. He used a paint respirator and still probably got cancer from the job.
cQVH4bg.jpg

I needed to head out to do an Antelope hunt in NM so I threw a couple solar panels on the top to run the Engel fridge, a piece of plywood as the floor and headed out. Worked great.
G61hKd2.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Now for brakes. I got electric with parking brake lever from eTrailer. Little over $220 I think.
jkNOVyF.jpg

Old bearings and races looked good. Replaced bearings anyway since I bought new ones.
cbie83S.jpg

Here is the part number in case you want to do the same.
yg40fXA.jpg

OgRwxEJ.jpg

oB1poqd.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Time to paint the trailer. I mixed a couple different colors to get what I wanted.
pFjlVs0.jpg

SXOmjSq.jpg

Painted all the reflector covers gloss black. I think it turned out well.
qxOLo9a.jpg

Also painted the light cover black. I think I need to paint the body too.
jtmWnXh.jpg

Add gratuitous Baby Groot sticker.
zCcJtcC.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
I had a plan brewing for a 3axis hitch, then I saw Jeff Scherbs plan. Yeah, his is better, but I already started mine, so it’s 80% his And 20% my plan.

I used a 1.25” top pin from a 3 point hitch. I had to cut out the hitch since it only fits 1” shafts. Welded in a 1.25” bushing and a spacer? Ring? On the bottom to take the friction of the turn.
Rd3e5tm.jpg

Jeff’s plan uses a 9/16 hitch pin. Well my mig is not working and I had to TIG this. I’m not very good at TIG yet, so I wanted a bigger surface to weld. So I decided to use a 1” pin instead. The bushing was thicker and more real estate to weld to.
3d0MbVv.jpg

Instead of grinding the ball down to fit inside the 2” sq tube, I heated and flared the tubing to fit the ball. I’m sure it’s just as good as his method, just wanted to try it.
KGUY4Jn.jpg

Here is the general idea before welding and paint.
bEXPPWs.jpg

Here is is after paint. I’m using a 1” pin instead of a hitch pin.
kcNLF6O.jpg

cILybkj.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Took the trailer out for a test run, working on the brakes, and the hitch worked great. The only time there was Any noise was on hard braking, but that’s to be expected since you have two hitch pins with a little bit of play in each one. The truck receiver and the trailer receiver. Way better than the pintle setup I had before.

Now it’s time to start adding tools and toys to the sides. I have some quick fists I’m playing around with for axe and shovel, and a hi-lift mount design in progress.

old_CWO

It appears that you were able to make the original hub/drums work with electric brakes. I tried that some years ago and failed; there was no surface inside my drums for the brake magnet to ride. As a matter of fact there were bolt heads there that immediately mangled the magnets once assembled.

You don't happen to have a photo of the inside of your drums? Curious what's different about them over the ones I had.

Thanks!

Buffalobwana

Observer
It appears that you were able to make the original hub/drums work with electric brakes. I tried that some years ago and failed; there was no surface inside my drums for the brake magnet to ride. As a matter of fact there were bolt heads there that immediately mangled the magnets once assembled.

You don't happen to have a photo of the inside of your drums? Curious what's different about them over the ones I had.

Thanks!
No, I had the exact same issue. I didn’t realize the drums wouldn’t work.

I just ordered a replacement axle with proper drums for mine because the spindle size on the original is for a 9k axle. So, the only replacement brake drum that fits it are over $500 each.

So, I did what everyone else did. Complete replacement of the axle.

old_CWO

No, I had the exact same issue. I didn’t realize the drums wouldn’t work.

I just ordered a replacement axle with proper drums for mine because the spindle size on the original is for a 9k axle. So, the only replacement brake drum that fits it are over $500 each.

So, I did what everyone else did. Complete replacement of the axle.

Okay thanks. I went through the entire ordeal some years ago. Installed the electric brakes no problem but found the stock drums wouldn't work. Okay no problem (so I thought) just get trailer drums instead. Only those had different outer bearings than the original hub/drums. Well, being a "smart" guy I found some bearings that mated up the GI spindle and standard trailer hubs - I think they were early F100 front wheel bearings. Well that's all well and good but then the spindle isn't long enough to get the nut properly tightened with the Dexter hub/drum installed. So, I also followed what everyone else did. New axle. Unfortunately I was good money into the eight lug brakes before I ended up with a new axle or I would have also converted to a 3.5K rated 5x4.5 pattern at the same time. Live and learn as they say.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Yep. I posted this whole thread before I figured out the brake issue. I was already $250 into it, might as well throw more money at it, right?

old_CWO

Yep. I posted this whole thread before I figured out the brake issue. I was already $250 into it, might as well throw more money at it, right?

Well as they say, "you can't take it with you."

I had mine a bit before there was much M101 trailer love on the interwebs so did my learning the old fashioned way - trial and error. Since that time the 3/4 tons have become a lot more popular (and expensive). If you can believe it, I got mine for a minimum bid of $50 + fees on auction without racks or bows. It had a little rust in the front that was easily patched in and it was good to go. In retrospect I wish I had kept it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles