My 05 Montero LTD Build

Dawnofmorning

Alright so like all build threads this'll be a work in progress.
I haven't really decided what my end goal is yet beyond replacing what Midwestern winters has rusted out, and what just needs replacing.

Bought it this summer with around 135k miles.

Pic from today
IMG_20211025_173023~2.jpg
Parts bought and installed so far:

Upper Control Arms (front & rear)
Ball Joints (front & rear)
Sway Bar Links
OME Springs
OME Struts
Window rain guards
Rally Armor Mudflaps
Spoon Sports Rearview mirror glass (oddly enough it's a direct fit from my old Acura CSX)
LED Headlight bulbs

Bought but not installed:

Trailer Hitch
Lower Control Arms (Going to have to cut out the old Camber bolts due to being seized)
Tie Rods

Possible future upgrades & replacements:
New tires & wheels
Wheel Spacers
Brake upgrades
Safari Ladder
JAOS Stuff
Pajero parking mirror
Exhaust/Muffler

So far I absolutely love the Montero and definitely see this being something I keep for a good long while.

Last edited:

Dawnofmorning

So here are the old rear stock springs as they came out... Nothing like driving a car with top portion of the springs broken lol.

IMG_20211025_165621~2.jpg

The old control arms. They've seen better days.

IMG_20211025_165616~2.jpg

An overview of the new shiny stuff.

IMG_20211023_100639~2.jpg

The OME lift kit went in pretty easily, besides the vendor forgetting to send me the front springs which delayed everything (ordered the kit July 1st....).

Overall I'm very impressed with how it rides now. There's a noticeable lift but not obnoxious. Ride quality is smooth and stable, way less body roll than before.

Price breakdown:

OME Lift Kit $964.00

And the prices and part numbers for the other suspension parts (ordered from Rock Auto):

Screenshot_20211025-201326__01.jpg

Doing a build thread wasn't planned otherwise I would've gotten install and removal issue pictures. Buuuutttt I still have to cut out the seized camber bolts for the new lower control arms so I'll be documenting all the fun that'll be.

plh

Explorer
Yeah, Wisconsin winters really like to eat cars lol. There was a real good pile of rust I digged out when putting the mudflaps on.

My '05 was bought new in Madison and I've had it in the Milwaukee area for 12+ years. Road salt rust isn't a joke.

Dawnofmorning

My '05 was bought new in Madison and I've had it in the Milwaukee area for 12+ years. Road salt rust isn't a joke.

Oh man, buying it new and seeing it waste away has got to suck. How's it been for ya since owning it new?

I got mine down in Illinois and brought it back to Wisconsin. Its almost like the previous owner intentionally let it start rusting away. I gotta figure out what to do with the area on both of the passenger sides.

IMG_20211026_152118~2.jpg

plh

Explorer
Oh man, buying it new and seeing it waste away has got to suck. How's it been for ya since owning it new?

I didn't buy it new, I bought around 12+ years and 130,000 miles ago. I'm just short of 200K miles total on the clock. Great vehicle, keep up on the PM (timing belt, tensioner, water pump etc - first at 90K miles, after that every 60k miles - interference engine, you will cry hard if the belt goes south). I've had no issues that were not simple / quick fixes. I have the same rust in the rear door jambs as you, maybe a bit worse. I'll be replacing the fuel filler neck this weekend, it is rusted / leaking. FWIW - the OEM flexible hose from the filler neck to the tank is NLA worldwide.

Last edited:

Dawnofmorning

Gotcha. Good advice. I'll probably begin taking care of that stuff come spring. From what I could dig up the previous owner did change the important stuff, but I'm always hesitant to believe that when there isn't a paper trail.

CharlieNorth

For parts like the T belt. you want to know just what condition the belt is in. There are allot of very poor quality parts out there.
To check a Tbelt, generally the left upper belt cover removes easily. Use your fingernail and try to "cut" the belt with your fingernail, "not with any tool"
A good belt you will leave a mark, a drying belt you will not leave a mark, a belt that needs to come out of service like now, will be dry and possibly cracked looking.

Last edited:

Dawnofmorning

Small update! Been busy with work so I haven't had much time to do a whole lot, but I did get some new tires put on today that are definitely way better than the cheapo ones that were on it. Ended up settling on Toyo Open Country's. Hopefully the next update will be when I tackle the lower control arms (front and rear) since I just got all the bolts in the mail recently.

IMG_20211120_164035.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94