My 04' Tundra Mistress - Keep my LX or Build the Tundy

rickashay

Explorer
So here I sit. I've had several Toyota 4x4's in the last ten years: 92, 93, 94 Toyota Pickups, 2x 98' 4Runners, and now my LX450 and 04' Tundra. Some of you may have been familiar with my built 98' 4Runner on here (the Dirt Duster) and my current LX (Tom Cruiser). I REALLY liked my 98 4Runner for the awesome road manors and relative comfort as a semi daily driver. I sold it because I was looking for something a little bigger as I am 6'6" and also wanted more cargo space. My LX kind of fell in my lap around May of last year. It was built, but I didnt like it, so I tore it down and re-built it my way. I've dumped way too much money into it and I see it becoming an endless black hole of money-eating-Cruiser-goodness. It's currently quite modified but I still don't feel like it's even close to being "done" (not that they ever are...lol). I recently drove the truck to Moab, across Nevada, into Norcal, through Oregon and Washington, back into British Columbia, and finally returned home to Canada - all within a 14 day span. The LX performed exceptionally well, especially on the technical trails of Moab and Norcal. However what I came to notice was this: I hate the seats, like REALLY hate them. The suspension is quite stiff, the suspension design enables it to pull one way while braking hard (panhards), it's gutless beyond belief, and it has its fair share of small "quirks" with its old age. That being said, I really love the truck. It wreaks of character and awesomeness however subjective that may sound...

Some notes on the LX:

- I have began to acquire parts to fix nearly all of the "quirks" (bad door lock solenoids, broken heater vents, needs new belts, etc)
- I have IS300 bucket seats in my garage to swap in - they are super comfy but just need to get some mounts fabricated
- Its rust free and from Arizona. Id be willing to bet its one of the cleanest 80-Series rigs in Canada.

The LX today:

20130620-IMG_2834.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

My Tundra:

I bought my 04' Tundra Limited Access Cab last year as a DD and work vehicle. I was working in the field for an Oil and Gas company and was required to drive all over the countryside to get to work. I was recently promoted and landed in the office and no longer need/want two 4x4's'. When I was looking for a work truck I wanted something older, reliable, but still nice and well taken care of. I stumbled upon a gem and paid too much money for it given the following:
- No accidents
- Two owners, the 2nd of which only had it for a year.
- Toyota service records in my hometown from the day it was purchased. I literally have a receipt for every oil change it has ever had.
- It is somehow immaculate underneath, no rust which is really rare for around here and the body and interior are also immaculate.

I put 50,000kms on the Tundra in just over a year. I have driven it several times for 16 hours straight and been relatively comfortable and unscathed after doing so. I love the 2UZ, the seats are comfy, the steering wheel is comfy, it has factory installed heated seats, I have a lot of leg room and don't feel cramped. It easily cruises down the highway at 75mph with the cruise control on. To say the least I have really come to enjoy driving it. I've put Bilsteins on it to level it out, SCS wheels, some 265/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires (which I also love) but have kept it pretty practical (unlike the LX).

The Tundra (before levelling kit):

20120718-IMG_1700.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

My Dilema:

I'm debating selling my LX and building my Tundra. There, I said it but I can't believe it. The 80 has always been my "dream" Toyota. However I plan on doing more long distance trips to Moab, Cali, Yukon/Alaska, and the Baja in the next few years. I'm craving more drivability and comfort that can still go play on the trails. I want something to be able to do moderate-difficult trails and then drive 5000kms home. I will be running the Rubicon in the next two years. So pretty much I want to have my cake and eat it too. IF I follow through with this whim the Tundra would get the following:
- 2-3" of lift via Icon or Fox suspension aka "mid travel" with uniball uppers
- Custom f/r bumpers (probably take it down to CBI)
- Full skids
- RTT and bed cage
- Re Gear and ARB lockers
- SCS Wheels and 35" Tires
- Projector Retrofit
- Bobbed bed: remove 9-11" to increase departure angle

So I would end up with a very well built Tundra on IFS. The front diff and CV's are weak but I'm a pretty finess driver and I take my time to pick good lines. Im a little worried about the width on tighter trails, however it really isn't much wider than my LX or the new Tacomas for that matter. So, there is it, have I gone mad? Or should I tough it out with the 80 to get it where I feel like it's "done", although I still cant be sure that end point will even satisfy. I would probably re-gear it and do full Icon suspension if it stays in the stable. But its still gutless and a motor swap would happen eventually. I need to sell one of them and get a more practical car for the city so keeping both isn't really feasible.

Enough rambling... lets hear it. I have my flame suit on.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm for the tundra. Nothing like having the comfort when on the road. The 2uz is an awesome motor. I have an 04 just like yours and my dad has a 2000 2wd with 350k miles. If not more. Should see 400k this year lol. At his rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtndude23

Observer
I really like my tundras, but I'd keep the cruiser. I had a 2000 AC, and now a 2006 DC tundra and they are great trucks for driving/camping out of and moderate off roading. You said you want to do difficult trails and the cruiser will do that a lot easier then the tundra.

bkg

Explorer
Keep the LX. Tundra will never be as capable off road unless you go extreme. Since the LX was a dream vehicle and "almost" done, you'll likely regret selling it. Btdt

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
As much as I want to vote for the Tundra, for what you want to do I think the LX will be better.

rickashay

Explorer
I'm for the tundra. Nothing like having the comfort when on the road. The 2uz is an awesome motor. I have an 04 just like yours and my dad has a 2000 2wd with 350k miles. If not more. Should see 400k this year lol. At his rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was actually looking at your Tundra the other day! Nice rig. Still love your 1st gen though. The 2UZ is awesome, one of my favorite parts about the Tundra.

I really like my tundras, but I'd keep the cruiser. I had a 2000 AC, and now a 2006 DC tundra and they are great trucks for driving/camping out of and moderate off roading. You said you want to do difficult trails and the cruiser will do that a lot easier then the tundra.

Very true.

Love the LX, no way I'd be ditching that one for a Tundra :ylsmoke:

Coming from you, this comment has some weight! haha

Keep the LX. Tundra will never be as capable off road unless you go extreme. Since the LX was a dream vehicle and "almost" done, you'll likely regret selling it. Btdt

Very true but Im not arguing capability of the built Tundra vs. the built 80. Im more thinking of trying to gain drive ability and in this case, it's at the cost of capability. Can the 80 be made more "driveable"? Yes, but for the cost of a new vehicle by the time it gets a motor swap, gears, and new suspension.

Another vote for the Tundy!

Close battle so far. Thanks for all the comments.

I have scoured the internet for Tundra build similar to what I'd be looking at doing but it seems with the Tundra people either go full Baja, solid axle swap, or just MILD camping rigs. I would be in the gray area where not many of these builds lie. I wish I could find someone who wheels it, with a midtravel setup.

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm in for a Tundra build. I love your 80 but I think I can read the "I want to build my Tundra" between the lines.

Forgot to add.

If anyone can build a trail worthy Tundra it would definitely be you.

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
I'm in for a Tundra build. I love your 80 but I think I can read the "I want to build my Tundra" between the lines.

Forgot to add.

If anyone can build a trail worthy Tundra it would definitely be you.

Lol thanks man! There is no question I want to build the Tundra. But I'm just trying to hear some good reasoning as I don't want this to be THE "I never should have sold that truck" decision.

Thanks for the new wallpaper...

haha, no problem.

AxleIke

Adventurer
The problem: LX is uncomfy and gutless, but capable and awesome looking

The solution: Take motor and seats from Tundra, put them in Lexus

:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

Hahaha, just kidding. I vote keep the Lexus, but I'm sure you'll build a sweet Tundra too, and building is more fun than having anyway!

Cheers! :beer:

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Keep the LC. You will kick yourself if you sell it and you won't find another one like it if you feel like you made a mistake. You can easily find another Tundra.

da10A

Adventurer
That LX is freekin hot... Would never even consider replacing it with a Tundra, unless it is getting too old and unreliable. Again, Wow!!!!

Doc2012

The problem: LX is uncomfy and gutless, but capable and awesome looking

The solution: Take motor and seats from Tundra, put them in Lexus

:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

Hahaha, just kidding. I vote keep the Lexus, but I'm sure you'll build a sweet Tundra too, and building is more fun than having anyway!

Cheers! :beer:

What this guy said!!!!!!

Just swap the motors, sell the Tundra, then take the money from the Tundra and put it into the LX.

A guy down here took a 2UZ and put it in to a '99 3.4L 4Runner. Found out that he transmissions are the same, just different bell housings.

Probably not the same for the LX and Tundra, but ya never know.....

Sent from my PRC-119 using morse code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94