My 02 Avalanche NFE

ejwebb

I was on the main Mojave trail when I read your article. Get your rig back together and post some pic, good luck.

Attachments

• 0125201329.jpg
    0125201329.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

Stryder106

Explorer
Really cool seeing the article on the Mojave! Really curious if you have any off line .gpx files for any of that...
Anyways, sorry to hear about the old truck giving it up, but it did its job keeping ya safe.
Hi and Thanks!!!! I do have the files and am in the process of vetting them with BLM and NPS (that could become long and drawn out). I'm also working with MDHCA to get some better mapping done and get alternates built into the files. Reason being - ground conditions in some of the areas will do nothing but tear up your rig - so I have a few versions going on: Original EMHT (not compliant), my Planned Route EMHT, the route I actually drove, and the route I would recommend. It's a work in process - but if you are heading out for any particular area - feel free to message me.

Yes, she saved me, but I killed her. So, it sucks. But - building the next one.

rho

Lost again
Hi and Thanks!!!! I do have the files and am in the process of vetting them with BLM and NPS (that could become long and drawn out). I'm also working with MDHCA to get some better mapping done and get alternates built into the files. Reason being - ground conditions in some of the areas will do nothing but tear up your rig - so I have a few versions going on: Original EMHT (not compliant), my Planned Route EMHT, the route I actually drove, and the route I would recommend. It's a work in process - but if you are heading out for any particular area - feel free to message me.

Yes, she saved me, but I killed her. So, it sucks. But - building the next one.

Woof, I can see how that process would get mired down with the alphabet soup agencies. I'm planning another trip out there in March, so I'll hit you up before that.

On a different note, who did the front bumper on your truck? We've been looking for one for our '03 Sierra and there are no options out there really.

Stryder106

Explorer
Woof, I can see how that process would get mired down with the alphabet soup agencies. I'm planning another trip out there in March, so I'll hit you up before that.

On a different note, who did the front bumper on your truck? We've been looking for one for our '03 Sierra and there are no options out there really.

A childhood friend - he's been a fabricator his whole life - and has done most of my Avalanche. He was the kid whom for his 5th birthday I got him a soldering gun. He got my bike stolen, so he owes me............LOL.

farmboyks

Nice to see your truck get the recognition it deserves, but also sorry to hear that she got killed by a jerk driver. Hope the new build goes smoothly.

When you put the bed rack back on, could you take some better pictures of how you have it attached to the metal under the plastic up by the sail panels? Did you end up welding it? Also any dimensions of the rack or drawings would be awesome too. We used the bed tent a few times that I bought from you, but recently purchased a RTT on a trailer. I'd like to do a similar rack like yours to get the tent up on it, so I wouldn't have to drag the trailer around.

Stryder106

Explorer
Nice to see your truck get the recognition it deserves, but also sorry to hear that she got killed by a jerk driver. Hope the new build goes smoothly.

When you put the bed rack back on, could you take some better pictures of how you have it attached to the metal under the plastic up by the sail panels? Did you end up welding it? Also any dimensions of the rack or drawings would be awesome too. We used the bed tent a few times that I bought from you, but recently purchased a RTT on a trailer. I'd like to do a similar rack like yours to get the tent up on it, so I wouldn't have to drag the trailer around.

HEY!! Thanks. Yah - it was a really nice article that ended up being her epitaph. So - where it ties into the roof - not welded. Made an angled plate and welded the tube to that. Used two sheet metal screw (on each one) to hold in place - then drilled for Grade 8 14mm bolts through the sheetmetal flange. To do this you will have to cut openings in your plastic. The rear mounting points are the rear above the tail lights. Remove the black claws - welded plates onto the tubing to sit flat and drilled the plate to reuse the existing bolts holes in the truck.

My rack is essentially built for my tent (Eezi-Awn Xklusiv 1400) with a little wiggle room. Mine also has things you can't really see including rails to mount my Frontrunner camp table (under the tent) that allows me to slide it out 3/4 of the way and use it as an impromptu awning when making a fast lunch. With that said - to me the number one most important bit of advice I can offer if you're making a rack - make it tall enough so that when you flop your tent open - you can stand upright under it. I see so many rigs with their racks well below standing height and I just shake my head. Your tent doubles as an awning and hard roof. If you have an annex (walls) you'll never use them if you can't stand up inside of them. On one trip - it rained on us for 11 days straight - in the tent, under the tent, or in the truck were the only places to escape.

Attachments

• pzlN3ByfS0Gtnyaco5YMng.jpg
    pzlN3ByfS0Gtnyaco5YMng.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

farmboyks

HEY!! Thanks. Yah - it was a really nice article that ended up being her epitaph. So - where it ties into the roof - not welded. Made an angled plate and welded the tube to that. Used two sheet metal screw (on each one) to hold in place - then drilled for Grade 8 14mm bolts through the sheetmetal flange. To do this you will have to cut openings in your plastic. The rear mounting points are the rear above the tail lights. Remove the black claws - welded plates onto the tubing to sit flat and drilled the plate to reuse the existing bolts holes in the truck.

My rack is essentially built for my tent (Eezi-Awn Xklusiv 1400) with a little wiggle room. Mine also has things you can't really see including rails to mount my Frontrunner camp table (under the tent) that allows me to slide it out 3/4 of the way and use it as an impromptu awning when making a fast lunch. With that said - to me the number one most important bit of advice I can offer if you're making a rack - make it tall enough so that when you flop your tent open - you can stand upright under it. I see so many rigs with their racks well below standing height and I just shake my head. Your tent doubles as an awning and hard roof. If you have an annex (walls) you'll never use them if you can't stand up inside of them. On one trip - it rained on us for 11 days straight - in the tent, under the tent, or in the truck were the only places to escape.

Thanks for that pic. So the angled plate rests on top of the flange and the flange carries the weight, right? That doesn't look too bad. I was thinking you had to pull the headliner in order to access the bolts from inside the cab. Have you noticed any deformation to the flange with the weight of rack and tent? It's difficult to tell how sturdy things are when just looking at pics.

That's a good idea about rack height. I've been kicking around ideas on raising the rack on our trailer, so I could load a dirt bike or 4 wheeler under the tent. That would give the added benefit of having awning space to stand under when the tent is open.

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks for that pic. So the angled plate rests on top of the flange and the flange carries the weight, right? That doesn't look too bad. I was thinking you had to pull the headliner in order to access the bolts from inside the cab. Have you noticed any deformation to the flange with the weight of rack and tent? It's difficult to tell how sturdy things are when just looking at pics.

That's a good idea about rack height. I've been kicking around ideas on raising the rack on our trailer, so I could load a dirt bike or 4 wheeler under the tent. That would give the added benefit of having awning space to stand under when the tent is open.
Absolutely no deformation at all. That is a very strong piece as the sail panel acts as a roller in the Avalanche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles