My 02 Avalanche NFE

Stryder106

Explorer
Great testimonial on ARB and great problem solving / customer tech support by that guy.

Love the welder idea, not keen on underhood heat and electronics in general. not in our climes, anyway. But I know nothing of that company, presumably they have that solved. I also suppose that the current / heat of a buzz box sort of makes the under hood heat moot anyway,

If the incident you are referring to is the same rollover / helo evac I posted in the Toyota forum here - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/176504-So-whose-4Runner-rollover-in-CO-is-this
I'd very much appreciate any info you can relate on how that accident happened. The few pictures I saw I had to figure it was driver inputs that caused it, braking at the wrong time, top heavy? The ground in those pictures didn't look that treacherous to me and I was trying to understand how the hell it happened, as a 'lessons learned' sort of thing. Just got trolled for the trouble of asking. Had no idea it was where you were heading.

Hey Rich - no it wasn't that 4Runner flopover - it was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy worse.
//
Premier has been making these for 25 years - they have it pretty well sorted out. If something goes awry they are also pretty top notch in customer service and they are in Yucca Valley - so I can get there in an hour or so. Give me a call during the day.

rayra

Expedition Leader
sorry haven't called yet, been a tile-laying ******** of late. Total remodel on a neighbor's master shower. Long work days, but the commute is 120' via wheelbarrow.
Heading back out to Lompoc very soon and Temecula again not long after Thanksgiving, maybe swing by on the return from there, will pre-arrange. Ordered my Spohn boxed rear control arms, should arrive shortly and have them on by the Temecula trip. Just put in my new radiator, water pump, main hoses, thermostat, see my Vortec Guys topic for notes on plastic radiator end tank emergency patching.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

Thanks for the updates. I have been busy hunting and working so I can hunt. The ARB customer service was great to hear. Mine has been solid for over a year now, and I too really like the remote temp meter. My ARB 63 rides in the back of my Av in transport, and knowing the temps helps. On the ARB side, I did find out while hunting that mine works very well in cold weather, really not hitting my camper battery at night, when the temps are down into the low 20's. Yes, I know, duh, but was nice to confirm.

Sounds like the accident on your trip was very bad news. I think it may have been your post back when it happened that got me to seriously thinking. I have done a little research on the Garmin In reach, am I am about 100% on getting one next spring. I do a lot of solo trips to various spots, and will have no issues justifying the cost. I have so much Garmin gear, I feel pretty confident about their reliability. Well, caveat that with their computer software is complete kludge, but their hardware is solid.

BK, my Avalanche purchase was my first full size truck. I could tell from my research before purchase that I would like it. I had no idea that I would love it so much. Hope you have fun with yours.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
sorry haven't called yet, been a tile-laying ******** of late. Total remodel on a neighbor's master shower. Long work days, but the commute is 120' via wheelbarrow.
Heading back out to Lompoc very soon and Temecula again not long after Thanksgiving, maybe swing by on the return from there, will pre-arrange. Ordered my Spohn boxed rear control arms, should arrive shortly and have them on by the Temecula trip. Just put in my new radiator, water pump, main hoses, thermostat, see my Vortec Guys topic for notes on plastic radiator end tank emergency patching.

You bought WHAT? DUUUUUUDE - I told you I have mine - uppers and lowers that I'd sell you for HALF - and they were only on my truck for a month.

Stryder106

Explorer
Stryder,

Thanks for the updates. I have been busy hunting and working so I can hunt. The ARB customer service was great to hear. Mine has been solid for over a year now, and I too really like the remote temp meter. My ARB 63 rides in the back of my Av in transport, and knowing the temps helps. On the ARB side, I did find out while hunting that mine works very well in cold weather, really not hitting my camper battery at night, when the temps are down into the low 20's. Yes, I know, duh, but was nice to confirm.

Sounds like the accident on your trip was very bad news. I think it may have been your post back when it happened that got me to seriously thinking. I have done a little research on the Garmin In reach, am I am about 100% on getting one next spring. I do a lot of solo trips to various spots, and will have no issues justifying the cost. I have so much Garmin gear, I feel pretty confident about their reliability. Well, caveat that with their computer software is complete kludge, but their hardware is solid.

BK, my Avalanche purchase was my first full size truck. I could tell from my research before purchase that I would like it. I had no idea that I would love it so much. Hope you have fun with yours.

Craig

InReach - don't leave pavement without it. LOL
ARB Fridge - I'm still battling an electrical issue. I figured out that when I wired the switch I used 12 gauge which introduced too much resistance so it would shut down. So I swapped that for 10gauge to match the ARB Harness. Fridge works fine while I'm driving then shuts off after only a few minutes. This was causing me some serious grief. Then I had an idea - run the truck with the fridge running, then stop - shut the truck off but leave fridge running and monitor the remote monitor. What did I find? Running: 13.3-7V depending on my RPM. Shut truck off - instant drop to 12.5, then another instant drop to 11.5, then .1 drop every 4 seconds (this is with the fridge running) until it dips below 10v and shuts off. So - I think my issue is actually my Optima Yellow Top 25/75 Aux battery not holding a full charge anymore (it's 3.5 years old). I just bought an Odyssey 34/78 that I'm hoping I can get to fit in the space. But, the difference is 43 minute Reserve with the Optima vs 138 minute reserve with the Odyssey. Fingers crossed.
//
In keeping with the ARB customer service angle - I called them before I thought of the battery and they sent me another harness as a just in case. Seriously nice and thoughtful of them.

Stryder106

Explorer
BTW - any of you guys have any experience converting the vacuum boost brakes to hydro boost? I think this may be the solution to the weak braking force in the Avalanche - particularly with 35" tires.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
BTW - any of you guys have any experience converting the vacuum boost brakes to hydro boost? I think this may be the solution to the weak braking force in the Avalanche - particularly with 35" tires.

I have been looking at this as well.

Looks pretty straight forward. You’ll need a hydro boost unit for the firewall, a hydro boost specific power steering pump, high pressure line from pump to hydro boost, low pressure return from hydro to pump, high pressure from hydro to steering gear, and low pressure return from gear to pump. If you want a steering cooler then I believe you put that in the gear to pump return loop. I am sure you’ll need to block a vacuum line from the deleted vacuum booster as well. Looks like there is a specific brake pedal as well.

A basic search on Amazon shows part numbers for our year Avalanche 1500.

Here’s a write up

https://chevroletforum.com/how-tos/a/chevrolet-silverado-1999-2006-how-to-swap-vacuum-brake-booster-with-hydroboost-system-391165

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Stryder's Avalanche probably already has a power steerign cooler. It's a tall very narrow loop on the right / driver side of the grill in front of that end of the radiator.

eta none of my radiator swap or trans cooler swap pix have the steering cooler in the image frame. But it's there on both my GMT800s

Stryder106

Explorer
Stryder's Avalanche probably already has a power steerign cooler. It's a tall very narrow loop on the right / driver side of the grill in front of that end of the radiator.

eta none of my radiator swap or trans cooler swap pix have the steering cooler in the image frame. But it's there on both my GMT800s

Yip - Mine has one.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yeah, thought about your parts, a real good deal, but still far more than I needed or that I wanted to spend, but thank you for the offer. Their lower-end boxed set was enough improvement for me and leaves me money for other things. Shopping for a budget wire-feed welder and an Aries grill / brush guard soon, so I can heavily modify it. Still have to fabricate my rooftop solar panel mount, too.

Stryder106

Explorer
Update Time. The day after Christmas I took my brother and we did a 4 day Death Valley run. Through Trona Pinnacles, over the Escape Trail and into Panamint. Up through Goler to Barker Ranch then back out and up to Ballarat, and then through Wildrose to the Charcoal Kilns. Darwin Canyon to Darwin, then up Saline Valley and camped at the Warm Springs. Up Dedeckera Canyon and over Steel Pass and down into the Eureka Dunes, then over Cranshaft Crossing and down to Stovepipe Wells and Mosaic Canyon. Ubehebe Crater, down to Teakettle Junction and Race Track, then out to Beatty NV. Rhyolite, Titus Canyon, Devil's Golf Course, Badwater Basin, West Side Rd, Harry Wade Exit Route, to Saratoga Springs and IBEX Sand Dunes, then out at 127 to Baker and home.
//
Coming back from Race Track we came across an Indian family with two blown tires - and none of them knew how to change a tire let alone plug one. Stopped and got them sorted out and on the road again. But, that put me 90 minutes behind where I wanted to be for the night, so I started making up time on the washboard. Usually I have my GF with me who is an awesome spotter - a by-product of her being overly risk averse. But, this time I had my brother who has never done anything like this before nor ever seen any remote terrain. So - I was busy talking to him and didn't see the 3' whoop, that I hit, doing 40, fully loaded. PING - something broke. Crawled under it and had sheared off the driver side rear lower shock bolt. But, the big Eibach Hummer coil spring kept it pretty level but my shock was now hanging down and disconnected.
//
I do have an onboard welder, but I figured finding the nut and bolt would be a long shot and it was 4:20pm. So, I determined my best bet was to get to Beatty as close to 5:00pm as I could to find a suitable replacement. In Beatty at the Arco - a fire truck. I asked them if they knew where I could find a shock bolt and they were nice enough to have me follow them to the firehouse wherein I got not just one, but 4 suitable bolts (ahhhh - spares) from their newly arrived generator (the bolts were holding it to the pallet. Grabbed a campsite for the night and deployed the Hi-Lift - all fixed.
//
There's the background. Now - I actually did some damage. The shock wasn't quite straight and it bottom seriously hard. As mentioned previously in this thread, when I put in the replacement bumpstops, they are noticeably smaller than the stock ones - well it turns out way too small. They allowed the coils to bind and everythingto fully compress and they still didn't hit. So - had to address that.
//
Ended up fabbing in some bumpstop pads attached to the differential - essentially lengthening the bumpstops.
IMG_1378.jpg
//
Also in the rear, I ended up bending the left rear tube and shaft (a 7/8" shaft!!!). So - looking a the actual shock travel determined that the bodies were 1.5" too long so we shortened both of the rear shock bodies and put in new shaft. Also, revalved all of the shocks. Because when I'm fully loaded the Av is substantially heavier than empty, add adjusters to the reservoirs so that I can adjust the compression based on how I'm loaded or the terrain I'm going to be in.
IMG_1374.jpg
//
Next, my rear sway bar lengths were stock and way too short for the height of the truck. So, we fabbed up some adjustable ones. Also with the addition of the RTT, rack, and fridge, the Av has felt a bit "swimmy" so I also added in beefier Eibach anti-sway bars and bushings.
IMG_1376.jpg
//
IMG_1376.jpg
//
With all the love for the rear of the Av, have to show some to the front end. Added an Eibach anti-sway bar to the front along with Grade 8 links. My little jumping adventure also revealed that a single limiting strap on the front shocks is not enough to keep them from over-drooping, so added a second Kartek limiting strap to each side. Both front shocks also got fully revalved, though they sucked up the landing quite well - so I did not change the reservoirs to adjustable - yet.
IMG_1370.jpg
//
IMG_1373.jpg
//
Finally, I had changed out my LCAs to MOOG Problem Solvers -and ever since I did that I had been noticing that my truck did not turn as sharp as it had with the factory LCAs. Doing a close inspection revealed the Moog arms have an extra piece of metal that catch and prevents the wheels from fully turning. It looks like a big piece of mold flashing. So, ground that off and now the truck turns like it did before.
IMG_1372.jpg
//
That's it for now. I'm on the hunt for either: New seats or someone to rebuild mine.

Stryder106

Explorer
Finally tackling the last of the major upgrade areas - the front end. RCV axles (these things are MASSIVE) just arrived along with a SuperSteer idler arm support and the Cognito weld in gusset. EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads also going in as I've decided against the hydroboost conversion. Still on the prowl for how to redo my seats and am trying to justify the cost of Sway Away torsion bars and keys vs GM factory bars. I think mine are starting to sag so looking to increase from the #5673 bars to something at least #8000. Sway Away has custom bars (same price) all the way up to #16000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior