MXT275 MicroMobile Back In Stock

dreadlocks

I bought one of these for xmas for my brother after last time he tried to find my camp he blew out two of his tires following his GPS down the wrong road.. its a quality radio and very nice, my primary reason for buying it tho was for the repeater support.. I've been GMRSing for a few decades now and this is the first off the shelf radio Ive bought in a very long time, simply because nobody supported repeaters... so thank you for this @MidlandUSA, now add repeater support to your handhelds/basestation and I might grab some of those too.

MiamiC70

I’m selling brand new in box a Midland MXT-400 as I too picked up an MXT-275 so I could remote mount it.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I ordered one of these to replace the Midland 115. I'm remote mounting this in my Land Cruiser. With the popularity of GMRS , I figure it would be handy to have comms with people without ham radios.

Billoftt

I’m just happy to see People converting from CB to, well, pretty much anything else.

I will tell you this, not to discount the merits of GMRS, (I have a license for that too) but I have never heard anyone lamenting their regrets over getting an Amateur Radio License.

I wonder if MidlandUSA is going to expand their amateur radio line.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

dreadlocks

15W v 50W results in very little appreciable difference, 15W is more than adequate for most mobile applications.. without a mountain top repeater several thousand feet above average terrain there's little actual use for 50W of xmit power.

On flat ground, if you have two 10ft high antennas you've got an 8mile radio horizon, 15W is more than enough for that.

15W v 50W results in very little appreciable difference, 15W is more than adequate for most mobile applications.. without a mountain top repeater several thousand feet above average terrain there's little actual use for 50W of xmit power.

On flat ground, if you have two 10ft high antennas you've got an 8mile radio horizon, 15W is more than enough for that.

then why would they sell a 40watt if 15 is fine?

dreadlocks

because you'll pay more money for it.. the license allows for it, so they built to it.

My D710G has 3 power outputs, 5W/10W/50W.. I've talked to people in simplex ontop of Pikes Peak from Denver (~90m) with 10W.. almost never put my rig into high power mode, its pointless.. two way radio communication is only as good as its weakest link, it don't matter if your blasting 50W if your talking to a 2W handheld, your range won't be any better.

Last edited:
because you'll pay more money for it.. the license allows for it, so they built to it.

My D710G has 3 power outputs, 5W/10W/50W.. I've talked to people in simplex ontop of Pikes Peak from Denver (~90m) with 10W.. almost never put my rig into high power mode, its pointless.. two way radio communication is only as good as its weakest link, it don't matter if your blasting 50W if your talking to a 2W handheld, your range won't be any better.

I’m sorry but I’m not believing that a 15w radio isn’t better than a 50w radio in certain situations. One no company would continually (successful) waste time , resources, and money developing a product that isn’t working. Also I’m a boat captain and communicate on vhf all day and the difference and distance of transmission between high and low is significant.

And obviously if you’re on top of a mountain sending signals out to the city below it would be significantly better. But what if you were on the same level plane trying to reach the same person. Seems to me that you would need more wattage. Assuming it was enough to reach that far. I mean Denver to Colorado Springs is some 60-70 miles ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles