MXT115

MOAK

Adventurer
I have this GMRS radio in my cart. I’ve been using my good old reliable Cobra 25 for 20 plus years. It is peaked, tuned, swr’ed and is usually crystal clear. Years ago i could talk to others 10-15 miles away. Am I going to be disappointed with the Midland MXT115 as I was with their hand held portables?

kidphc

Depends on what you are plan on doing with it. Trail coms, repeater, shoot the ********? if trail coms you are probably going to be ok with it, but your handheld will do about the same, better if you have an external antenna (mag mount). Not that I would ever recommend their handheld for GMRS work, you would get the same with even a cobra hand held etc.

Most really GMRS operators, are going to hunt for old commercial radios etc. But if you are trying to compare a tuned radio that was setup properly to an out of the box turn key setup, you may be instore for disappointment or a surprise again depends on expectation and usage. As with most radio setups the antenna mounting and choice are more important then what is attached to it.

If you are shooting the ********/rag chewing GMRS often has a lot less chatter on it since it is more local comms, especially in certain areas. Other areas good luck on finding an open channel.

Personally, I dislike the MXT115. Lack of power, horrible programming the inability to do split tones. Split tones, a problem for most midland radios minus the new ones coming out (looking at you MXT5xx), some repeater owners will do different tones on input and output of the repeater. Why? To keep people off, most of the lower end easy to get GMRS radios can't do split tones.

I found that with the Anytone at6666 and a 10m ham stick tuned for upper 11m(cb) in SSB mode with small openings I was getting as far out to Michigan and Florida regularly. Almost annoying so, with everyone being slightly off frequency to be heard, the clarifier always got a work out. With it set to 10m SSB it was very quiet.

Really comparing apple to oranges in a sense. May want to check out https://mygmrs.com/.

MOAK

Adventurer
Thanks for answering my very simple question, LOL. Now I’m completely confused. Just to let you know, I’ll be keeping the old cobra in my LC, as truckers use CB and truckers truck on forest roads, especially way up north. What do you mean “ shooting the *******”? I am not up on radio lingo nor do I care to be. The purpose would be trail communication. My family goes with us into the back country and sometimes we may be a mile or 2 apart from one another. On the highways we might be running further apart than that. The handheld midlands I experienced were bad, because of no external antenna, and because the battery life was horrible. An old school cobra cb has it’s place. I never cared about getting a Galaxy radio or any heavy duty amplifiers. I just wanted something that worked well and got the job done. So, back to my question. Will the Midland 15 watt work and get the job done? Please, don’t go on about antennas, their placement, etc etc etc. I get all that, that’s why I clarified how good my set up currently is, and I’d be setting up the MXT in the same manner. Thanks

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Will the Midland 15 watt work and get the job done?
That depends on what you expect of it. The power and features are sufficient for basic trail use but not if you want a full feature GMRS radio. But you already know all that.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I live in southern AZ and with my MXT275 I can reach repeaters that cover AZ, NM and sometimes UT. There is lots of activity around here for those who want to shoot the sht, or "talk". Sorry to force you to learn radio lingo. I have the 6dB antenna on the back of my rig and get lots of distance on simplex.

MOAK

Adventurer
I live in southern AZ and with my MXT275 I can reach repeaters that cover AZ, NM and sometimes UT. There is lots of activity around here for those who want to shoot the sht, or "talk". Sorry to force you to learn radio lingo. I have the 6dB antenna on the back of my rig and get lots of distance on simplex.
Cool, I was trying to figure out why shooting the moon was radio lingo. Here’s the thing guys, for me as with a lot of things in my life, it’s a tool, I want to purchase it, set it up, turn it on & use it as intended. Like my old CB, Home stereo Hi Fi, pick up truck, etc etc, I haven’t given them a second thought in decades. ( yup, 1990 Ranger, Hi Fi speakers 1985 Amp from 85 then 2015, research, purchase use. Keeping things, except my hobbies, simple. I ordered the radio, hopefully it’ll just work well, then I can forget about it. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I'm using the MXT115 in 3 of our vehicles and am happy with my choice.
I'm in a hi desert valley so we get very good coms.

We can regularly talk over 10 miles and can talk across the valley
simplex for over 30 miles. As you know antenna is key.

I think for what you say you're looking for you will be happy.

NudeLobster

I have received MTX275 to MTX275 in a deep canyon probably 7 miles apart on Simplex. I think the MTX275 is worth it over the 115 to have the controls and display on the mic.

A midland MTX GMRS is exactly what you are looking for and what I hammer 95% of people to get over CB or Baofengs/HAM. The MTX GMRS are stupid simple to use and perform well and above what most simplex trail comm users need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles